Speaker choice - kevlar or poly?

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by mattfurlong, Mar 6, 2007.

1. mattfurlong

mattfurlong

Has anyone experienced the difference between the kevlar and polypropylene drivers?

There's obviously a difference between them, as there's a significant price gap :)

Is the difference in sound quality, or expected life? I'm planning to use speakers mostly for background music (not home theatre or anything) so I suspect the poly ones will be fine. Just don't want to outlay the cash and wish I'd spent more 6 months down the track!

mattfurlong, Mar 6, 2007
  2. mattfurlong

Custom

Matt

We install 100's of speakers every year. There is a noticable difference between Poly or Kevlar (woven carbon fibre) in sound quaility. The woven fibre will have a higher sensitivity, better frequency response and higher stage crossover (poly 2nd stage / woven fibre 4th stage).

If you are using the speakers for general distributed audio around the house then the Poly's will be fine. Just don't over drive them. ;)

Just keep in mind the right size speakers for the room. Small room 6-6.5" or large room 8".

Bill

Custom, Mar 8, 2007
  3. mattfurlong

NickD Moderator

Interesting... what sized rooms do you define as small and large?

Nick

NickD, Mar 8, 2007
  4. mattfurlong

mattfurlong

Of course .. The standard clipsal speakers only come in the one size, right? (apart from rectangular / round)

With regards to room size .. I was planning to put two pairs of speakers in a room 4.7 x 5.7. For that, I was anticipating either of the poly/kevlar cylindrical ones. I'll probably go kevlar there, as they'll get a lot more use. The rest of the house I think poly will do.

I was also thinking of putting the cylindrical polys under the eaves outside - they'll be well protected by a verandah, the only potential issue is with humidity / dust I guess.

mattfurlong, Mar 8, 2007
  5. mattfurlong

Custom

I haven't installed any clipsal speakers yet, but will try them in the near future (need to watch what I say):)

As for room size, 6" in rooms up to 6m x 6m any larger room I would install 8".

Be careful when installing in-ceiling speakers to outside eaves. Check what metal is used for the grills. Powder coated steel grills will start to show rust in 6-24 months depending on humidy and climate. Powder coated ali grills are fine.

Could not find grill construction under specs listed here:
    http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/technical_support/installation_instructions/multi_room_audio

Custom, Mar 8, 2007
  6. mattfurlong

mattfurlong

mattfurlong, Mar 8, 2007
  7. mattfurlong

desd

Matt

Dont use the Clipsal In-ceilings out side - they will rust within months.
    I used a pair in a (well ventilated) ensuite bathroom and they started showing surface rust within 5-6 months.
    Also, speakers generally take time to "run in" - more so the Kevlars. They sound a bit rough to start with but after about 10+ hours of continuous music (moderate volume) they free up and sound pretty good. Bass will improve with an enclosure, if you have access to the ceiling space.

Des

desd, Mar 8, 2007
Ask a Question