Somfy wireless blind motor and C-Bus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by industeq, May 30, 2010.

1. industeq

industeq

I have a Somfy window roll-up blind that is constantly powered with DC24V and controlled via wirelessly with a 3 button wireless remote up / stop / down hand remote.
    The operation is one depress of up button and the blind will move up to the limit unless the ?stop? button is depressed. Same with the down function it will continue down unless the Stop button is depressed.

I also have a ?Dry Contact? PCB that I received and it once programmed (copy the remote freq.) it will send the RF to control the blind same as the hand remote would.
    It is just a single small PCB remote guts the only diffrence is the 4 wires soldered on to the Push Button leads and can parallel a dry contact relay to activate when tied in.

I am using a L5108RELVP low voltage 8CH relay and using 3 contacts wired N/O for the functions of UP, DOWN, STOP
    For the functions I used a DLT and set 3 buttons to:
    UP
    DOWN
    STOP
    They are set as a as a bell press function and the blind is functional, but question is how can I set to use just 2 buttons?

Scenario
    One short press for UP will just increment and when a quick release will just stop the blind.
    So a UP contact closure on / off then a STOP contact on/off soon thereafter to stop the blind from traveling up fully.

One long press of the UP command to have the blind raise to the full limit
    So a UP contact closure on / off only

Same function for the DOWN function.

Regards
    Alan Dobbs

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
    industeq, May 30, 2010
  2. industeq

Newman

To do the job properly I would do this with Logic in a PAC/C-Touch MKII with logic/Colour C-Touch/Wiser/HomeGate/Schedule+ (we do have the logic engine in quite a few products now, don't we?). Trying to turn 3 C-Bus Groups into 2 using just the features of a key unit and a relay unit is a bit of a stretch and would probably be quite inflexible.

Relay unit configuration
    Give each relay channel it's own group address, Open, Close and Stop. I'll assume that you've got one relay channel associated with each of the buttons on the wireless remote.

Key unit configuration
    For your 2 DLT buttons, create 2 logical groups, something like Logical Open and Logical Close.

Configure your buttons on your DLT with the following functions:
    Short Press - Idle
    Short Release - Recall 1
    Long Press - Recall 2
    Long Release - Idle

Configure Recall 1 as 50% and Recall 2 as 100% for both Logical Groups.

What you're trying to achieve here is that a short press of the button will transmit a command that sets the respective Logical Group to 50% for a Short Press and 100% for a Long Press. This is how you will determine, in logic, whether it's an increment or a full Open/Close that's been requested.

Logic
    You now have 4 different C-Bus events to handle in logic:
    - Logical Open set to 50% (Increment the blinds open a bit)
    - Logical Open set to 100% (Open the blinds fully)
    - Logical Close set to 50% (Increment the blinds closed a bit)
    - Logical Close set to 100% (Close the blinds fully)

For the Increment cases you only really need a handful of logic statements:
    - Pulse the Open or Close group On for 2 seconds, then off again. (just like your original bell press in the DLT).
    - Delay for a little bit
    - Pulse the Stop group On for 2 seconds, then back to Off.
    - Turn off both logical groups, ready for the next user button press event.

For the full Open/Close events it's even shorter:
    - Pulse the Open or Close group On for 2 seconds, then off again. (just like your original bell press in the DLT).
    - Turn off both logical groups, ready for the next user button press event.

The length of time the Increment event lasts for will be defined by the length of the delay you put in the code that handles the Increment Open and Close events.

As written here, I think the indicators on the DLT will do the right thing for the Increment events but they will turn off after only a few seconds for the full Open/Close events. To fix that, you probably just need to add a delay that corresponds with the approximate run time of your blinds prior to turning off the Logical Groups in the code that handles the full Open/Close events.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
    Newman, Jun 7, 2010
  3. industeq

industeq

Thanks Newman

It looks a bit complex the way you mentioned, but I will try and do line by line.
    You are correct on the 3 groups. I have UP, Down, Stop already created and that is how I have the 3 buttons presently.

However I just purchased a Wiser and just powering up today.

I also have a BW Mark II display but with NO logic?
    I am new to PICED but was able to create many screens of basic functions like the DLT.

To rid the Wireless motors & remotes, can I use RS485 in Clipsal? as Somfy has RS485 motors

Regards
    Alan Dobbs

industeq, Jun 10, 2010
  4. industeq

NickD Moderator

There is no native C-Bus RS485 device, however the PAC (5500PACA) has RS232 ports, so you could use an off the shelf RS232-RS485 converter.

You'll also need to get your hands on the Somfy protocol and code up the interface in the logic engine.

Nick

NickD, Jun 10, 2010
  5. industeq

Newman

If you have a Wiser, then you have a device that runs the logic engine, so you should be able to do just about anything.

The above explanation may seem complex, but I've tried to be thorough, without actually doing it for you.

Newman, Jun 10, 2010
Ask a Question