Some general questoins on C-Bus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by mcsortan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. mcsortan

mcsortan

I'm a newbie to C-Bus and I'm slowly getting my network up and running. A few questions if anyone can help

1. Should I be able to see my 5100PS power supply in the toolkit?

2. My network status says my current consumption is 104mA and my current supply is 0mA. Does this mean my 5100PS could be faulty.

3. I have a 5108RELVP unit that is switching perfectly but not outputting any voltage. Could this be a symptom of the above?

Thanks to anyone who can help

mcsortan, Mar 18, 2013
  2. mcsortan

Roosta

1. Should I be able to see my 5100PS power supply in the toolkit?

No, in a network scan, you shouldnt be able to see it.. You can add it to your database manually though..

2. My network status says my current consumption is 104mA and my current supply is 0mA. Does this mean my 5100PS could be faulty.

Dont believe the figures stated in toolkit as it only calculate on the items listed in your database..
    No it does not necessarily mean your powersupply is faulty..

3. I have a 5108RELVP unit that is switching perfectly but not outputting any voltage. Could this be a symptom of the above?
    No, the 5108RELVP is a voltage free contact, ie, it just switches as a normal switch does...

Cheers..

Roosta, Mar 18, 2013
  3. mcsortan

Mr Mark

Hello mscortan.

1. No, you will not be able to see your power supplies via Toolkit.
    2. Your power supply is most likely OK, these figures are calculated in Toolkit from the unit part numbers, eg: a L5504RVF will supply 200mA whereas a L5504RVFP will not supply any.
    3. The outputs on the 5108RELVP are volt free so you will need to supply voltage to them. Keep in mind they are rated up to 30V (AC or DC) at 2 Amp.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Mr Mark, Mar 18, 2013
  4. mcsortan

ashleigh Moderator

Toolkit can't see a power supply during a scan. In that sense its a passive device (it has no microprocessor in, so can't be interrogated).

The current figures used in Toolkit are a capacity planning guide. The big time installers can use this (with everything entered into the project) as a planning and capacity checking tool which avoids the need to get out your calculator an manually add up all the device consumptions, subtract that from the installed power supply capacity, and make sure there is some margin.

The calculator is a GIGO machine (garbage in, garbage out): its only as good as the information in the database. A network scan will tell only so much.

ashleigh, Mar 18, 2013
  5. mcsortan

Ashley

You need to add the power supply into Toolkit manually using the Add Unit button in Unit Database window. Just enter 5100ps in the search box and add the unit. It will then show up in the current calculations.

Ashley, Mar 18, 2013
  6. mcsortan

bmerrick

Hi Mcsortan,

Some further info. The 5100PS power supply output is 320ma See data sheet here.
    You can tell it is working by either measuring it with a multimeter (which should show about 36VDC) or by looking at your PCI/CNI module and seeing a Solid Green on the 'C-Bus' LED.

As the other guys stated, the power supply does not show up in Toolkit in either the network scan, or the power available figures (this was upgraded information provided by the later 5500PS and inbuilt series power supplies). As Ashley say, you can add it if need be.

Also, the L5108RELVP Data Sheet is here

Really not wanting to appear rude :eek:, but your questions suggest you might be new not only C-Bus but also to electronic control systems in general (ie switches, relays and how to wire them). Please do ask about what you are trying to do for more in-depth information or even better, talk to your friendly local sparky or technician etc. Whilst I am certain you can probably program the gear in Toolkit and get it all talking and I encourage you to do that, if you wire up the relays and whatever you are trying to run from them wrongly, even at low voltage but adequate power supply current available, You can toast a module or even start a fire!! Best to be certain what you are trying to do and get the appropriate advice.

All the best,

Brad

bmerrick, Mar 18, 2013
  7. mcsortan

mcsortan

Thanks everyone for your help.

I should've realised that the RELVP relay unit was voltage free - in hindsight this was obvious.

All working beautifully now. Just finding my way through toolkit and PICED to make sure I can do everything I need to.

mcsortan, Mar 19, 2013
Ask a Question