some basic wiser iphone app questions

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by zx9, May 4, 2011.

1. zx9

zx9

Could anyone tell me how quick from the time you pick up your phone could you disarm your security system over 3g? (ie. time to load the app, connect to wiser, navigate to the security panel, type in your code and get a response)

Is the wiser reliable enough to use in this way?

Basically what I am trying to work out is if it would be viable as a electronic key of sorts. I think that likely it would take to long and that a alarm keyfob would be much better suited but if it is pretty quick it would give me another reason to buy a wiser which of course I don't really need until I find enough reasons that I must have it.

zx9, May 4, 2011
  2. zx9

kjayakumar

I can tell you that at least in my locale, 3G is spotty and varies depending on whether a wet dog runs in between me and my cell phone tower. If you've got perfect 3G all the time to the cellphone tower that's next to your house, that works every time, then sure, I would agree Wiser can be used that way. If not, then using your keyfob which I presume is RF to the RF receiver in your house/gate is probably faster.

kjayakumar, May 4, 2011
  3. zx9

NickD Moderator

For the app to fire up and reconnect, in my experience it takes between 5 and 10 seconds depending on the state of the LAN connection and the size of the project (number of widgets it has to create).

If it has to connect first via 3G, the connection side usually takes a bit longer, but if you're looking to replace a fob, I assume you're planning to use it close to the house, in which case you'd more than likely have picked up your wireless LAN, in which case it would be quicker. For me, by the time I've got out of the car in the carport, my phone has connected to the wireless LAN and the Wiser app is pretty quick to fire up. My wife uses it like this to disarm the security before going in the door with an armful of baby/shopping.

Nick

NickD, May 5, 2011
Ask a Question