Solar components with C-Touch (no Wiser)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JezDynamite, Sep 15, 2021.

1. JezDynamite

JezDynamite

Hi there
    I'm in the process of choosing a new solar system (which is likely to generate a max of 5kW/h at its peak generation period).

I was wondering which solar inverters and/or power monitoring systems have proven to work seamlessly (or easily) with the cbus system (I have a colour C-Touch panel with pool and irrigation scheduling, DLTs and Saturn switches, but no Wiser).

Which components would I need to purchase to allow me to control the pool pump to use excess solar generation when available and then run again at night if they haven't run long enough?

I'm trying to work out a way to schedule the pool pump and pool cleaner to run smartly, once I have solar (preferably using the C-Touch; but if not, then otherwise). One of the solar quotes I'm receiving is from Clipsal and they talk about the Pulse monitoring system, Solaredge AC switches but I'm not sure how that is compatible with the cbus system.

Thank you for your advice!!
    Jeremy

JezDynamite, Sep 15, 2021
  2. JezDynamite

Conformist

Hi Jeremy
    I've been doing exactly what you are asking for quite a few years. My colour touchscreen monitors the power being used, the power being generated (by solar) and calculates the available (delta) power available. My pool pump then switches on when there is enough free power available. I run the pool pump for different durations depending on the temperature of the water (also monitored by C-Bus) but that's another extra level.
    I've used the C-Bus 4 channel current measurement unit (5504CMU) to input the info into C-Bus. I have one of the current transformer (CT) clamps on my supply in (excluding solar), one on my solar generation and the others do other things I like to monitor. I also export the data to PVoutput.org at a 5 minute resolution. Take a look at https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=27522&sid=25204 to see mine in action.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Sep 16, 2021
  3. JezDynamite

JezDynamite

Thanks Chris. What you have done sounds fantastic.

Do you perhaps have a diagram I could look at - or if I prepare a diagram - would you be able to comment on whether I have got it right?

Is the CT clamp a generic product or a Clipsal specific product?
    I found this link but got lost as there are so many CT (clamps?), and I'm assuming I'd need specific ones. Would the electrician know?
    https://www.se.com/ww/en/product-range/950-current-transformer-t1/

Does it need an electrician to install each clamp or is it something a lay-person like me can do?

I assume I would need at least 1 CAT4/5 cable (or such) run to the powerboard and inverter to receive the input from each CT clamp for CBUS to use. Is that right? Would I need one dedicated cable for each clamp?

I believe the programming involved might be beyond my current wonderful CBUS electrician. If he can't do it, can you suggest anyone in Sydney (or remotely) that could do the programming? If it is something that can be done remotely, would you be willing to assist me (paid work, of course)? I would ideally want to do some kind of monitoring where the Pool pump only goes on or off (during the day) depending on whether then solar has enough free power for X minutes (and the same thing for turning off).

And possibly they could help with my C-touch rebooting itself for some unknown every couple of weeks? My electrician doesn't know how to address it.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking these questions - if I am, I'm truly sorry.

Kind regards,
    Jeremy

JezDynamite, Sep 16, 2021
  4. JezDynamite

pickled

Hi Jeremy.
    Looking to do exactly the same. Want to optimise my energy use to stop feeding into the grid and maximise my use of solar (minimising my use of grid power). How did you get on? Did you find someone to do the programming?

pickled, Feb 3, 2022
Ask a Question