Smoke detectors - C-Bus and Home Automation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Sep 1, 2006.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I have a situation where smoke detectors are going to be fitted on 3.3 metre ceilings. The house will have C-Bus and a Ness M1 HA panel.

What would be nice in the event of a detector going off will you are cooking and burn your chops to go to a keypad and enable the hush reset from a safe level. Is it possible with Clipsal Firetek series to remote hush function by wiring a relay across the hush contacts??

This certainly would be the safest option pressing a button on a control panel momentarily switching a relay contact across the hush button than seeing the missus fall off a ladder trying to reach it!:D

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Fleetz

fleetz, Sep 1, 2006
  2. fleetz

Phil.H

I suggest you think very very carefully about modifying smoke detectors. There are very strict building codes and other regs regarding smoke detectors especially in the home. If you are looking for a convenient way of silencing a false alarm, maybe consider the blunt end of a pen or pencil taped to a length of conduit, it will be cheap and effective. Most importantly, you won't end up in court if there is ever a fire (heaven forbid).

A few short years ago smoke detectors (ones connected to security panels etc) used to latch in the alarm condition. To reset them you would go to the security keypad and reset (momentarily interupt) the aux 12v supply dedicated to smoke detectors. This arragnement is no longer legal for "new" installs.

If you are looking for risky things to do, maybe start a crocodile teeth cleaning business :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
    Phil.H, Sep 1, 2006
  3. fleetz

BSS

Spot on advise Phil. I would sugest sending the clients to a cooking course rather than modify any smoke detection device. If you can't find a pen or pencil try taping the burnt chop to the conduit (should be nice and firm now).

BSS, Sep 2, 2006
  4. fleetz

znelbok

I dont know much about smoke detectors,but

what about the type typically used in commercial etc, where it is just a detector (ie no screamer built in) that goes back to a panel. If you use the alarm system to trigger a internal screamer and then a "button" as a silence it could be acceptable.

You are right in your thinking. The hazards in re-setting the alarm are greater than having a "remote hush" and thus would make it acceptable to do so.

Mick

znelbok, Sep 5, 2006
  5. fleetz

JohnC

Photoelectric detectors should be used in areas like that. They are more reliable overall, and less likely to false alarm. We are no longer in the days of cheap battery powered ionisation alarms that false when the toaster is set too high.

I know of no detector manufacturer that recommends smoke alarms be installed in a kitchen. Nor am I aware of any requirement to do so in any Australian Standard. Most manufacturers and Gov't bodies specifically state NOT to use one in the kitchen !

I have interconnected Firetek alarms - one in EVERY ROOM of the house except the kitchen. Photoelectric in bedrooms and dining (adjacent to kitchen), and Ionisation in the halls, lounge etc. The detector in the dining room is directly outside the opening to the kitchen...

We do heaps of wok cooking, gas-fired griddle etc, burnt the toast, etc and never had a false alarm. If there was enough smoke to actually set off a Photoelectric alarm, then I reckon I'd definitely WANT it to go off :)

Remember that old advert "OHHHH - THE CHIPS !"

JohnC, Sep 5, 2006
  6. fleetz

JohnC

JohnC, Sep 11, 2006
Ask a Question