Simple Rinnai Smart Start control

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by oliverboyd, Jul 7, 2015.

1. oliverboyd

oliverboyd

Hi - checking if anyone has integrated the Rinnai Smart Start Controllers into an installation?

I was looking to mimic the actual water controller (temp adjustment, transfer etc.), but taking a look at the manual and schematic, there is actually a manual switch for Smart Start on the board of the hot water unit.

In this mode, it recommends a simple 30PBL switch button (if you want LED) for on/off control.

Presumably I can rather just run this into a relay and control it via simple on/off toggle on a keypad.

Has anyone tried this out?

Ref: http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/r...nity smartstart installation manual oct14.pdf

Pages 5 & 8.

Cheers
    Ollie

oliverboyd, Jul 7, 2015
  2. oliverboyd

Ashley W

Sorry if I have missread what your asking, but smart start is not a controller. Smart start is an optional attachment to the Infinity that circulates water from the furtherest outlet back to the heater when commanded to do so thus ensuring that when you turn the tap on all cold water is purged. Normally it is activated by pressing the pre-heat button on an infinity controller, but yes it can be manually activated by a push button switch. So yes you can use a c-bus relay to trigger it. You will need to pulse the relay as all that is required is a start signal, the system will stops on its own. Not sure if it is when it detects hot water coming back or an internal timer.

But it won't give you temperature control, priority transfer and all the other features a standard infinity controller will give you. All it will do is activate the Smart start feature (called pre-heat on the controllers). Looking at an infinity diagram there appears to be no way to replicate the controller features using C-bus as the only input is from infinity controllers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    Ashley W, Jul 7, 2015
  3. oliverboyd

oliverboyd

Hi Ashley - thank you for your response.

Your summary is correct, I am going to forego building the other functionality in logic and just have a simple pulse button.

We don't ever use the transfer function nor change the water temp in any case.

Cheers
    Ollie

oliverboyd, Jul 8, 2015
Ask a Question