Sim Module Available ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frank Mc Alinden, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys

Is the sim module available as yet ??

Thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Dec 10, 2009
  2. Frank Mc Alinden

Darren Senior Member

C-Bus SIM modules have been available under the C-Bus Enabled program for over five years.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

Darren, Dec 10, 2009
  3. Frank Mc Alinden

ashleigh Moderator

If you wish to purchase a SIM, the part number is 5000SM/2. Availability may be difficult and the sales channel may not know much about this. If thats the case PM me and I'll see about referring you to the right person.

ashleigh, Dec 11, 2009
  4. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys

Im sure i read in another thread that the sim module was going to be made available to all (no mention of being part pf the cbus enabled)...

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Dec 11, 2009
  5. Frank Mc Alinden

DDirk

No Frank you are not dreaming I also remember as it was posted by Admin back in April this year. It appears that all is forgotten or maybe you just need a secret handshake.

DDirk

DDirk, Dec 11, 2009
  6. Frank Mc Alinden

ashleigh Moderator

Send a PM. It will be sorted. I'm pretty sure its not in the TPG (yet), but I can put you onto the right person.

ashleigh, Dec 11, 2009
  7. Frank Mc Alinden

DDirk

Very Dim on the Sim

Does this mean it will be sorted and made available for anyone or just Frank?

I could not imagine it would take much effort to take an item that already has a part No and make it available to the market like any other C-Bus device as it was said by ADMIN back in April 2009.

It's disappointing for all when ADMIN posts something and then does not
    follow through.

Don't get me wrong you tech guys do a great job supporting the C-Bus global
    network via this post and otherwise but I certainly think its a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians.

DDirk

DDirk, Dec 13, 2009
  8. Frank Mc Alinden

ashleigh Moderator

Anybody who wants to buy one - send me a PM FOR NOW UNTIL IT IS SORTED OUT.

The way products are made available in different markets is somewhat tortured. I'm trying to help that process out.

(Mr Admin, by the way, posted that on behalf of the Clipsal mgt. Mr Admin is a bit of a benevolent dictator who only wakes up now and again. And this forum is not run by, paid for, or controlled by Clipsal or Schneider. So don't belt Mr Admin too hard, please. He's just performing a community service.)

ashleigh, Dec 14, 2009
  9. Frank Mc Alinden

cbuster

Where can i get technical specification for this 5000SM/2 module ?
    Is there a schematic available?
    Will it interface to 3.3V logic level signals?
    How much current does it draw from the C-Bus power supply?
    Has it got 3.3V or 5v power available for powering external circuits?
    Somewhere i read that about 25-50mA can be taken from the C-Bus line
    for each device?

cbuster, Dec 14, 2009
  10. Frank Mc Alinden

NickD Moderator

Good question - I'm not sure.

It's basically a C-Bus PC-Interface without the RS232 level conversion, and without an enclosure. It provides an optically isolated logic level interface to the PCI. A schematic for the most part will be irrelevant, although obviously you will need information for the isolated interface in order to design your part of the circuit.

Yes.

I think it's 18mA.

No. The SIM itself is powered from C-Bus, but you need to provide power to your side of isolated interface.

Not sure where you heard this... it's certainly not the case for the SIM.

HTH,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
    NickD, Dec 14, 2009
  11. Frank Mc Alinden

ashleigh Moderator

Will publish this info soon.
    Yes - though using logic which is tolerant to mixed 3.3V / 5V is recommended. Early SIMs used 5V interface levels.
    See above. 18 mA.
    No, you cannot power your device from the bus power. The SIm derives its power from the bus, but does not provide any further power for other devices. The SIM includes galvanic (optical) isolation so that a device won't compromise the bus SELV rating. It also has some mounting holes, and you need to use those very carefully with the right size screws in order to maintain the creepage and clearance. [And if you don't understand those terms, then you need to, or you should not be playing with the SIM in the first place!]

Using the SIM means you are making a "Compound Device" - that is, one which is partly bus powered, and partly powered from somewhere else. The sides needs to coordinate how they work (either side can lose power or be powered up or down at any time). The setup of the SIM needs to take this into account - see the Serial Interface Users Guide, in particular the section about power up notification.

ashleigh, Dec 14, 2009
  12. Frank Mc Alinden

cbuster

What if I don't need isolation and want to make an inteligent switch/input/controller device or something similar to the wall plate switches?
    These units are powered straight off the C-Bus Line and don't need a seperate power supply, so how can I get say 10/20 mA or so from the C-Bus Line to power up a small ancilary uP and drive the SIMM directly?

If isolation is not needed, can't I use a Diode Bridge and filter to extract a few mA from the C-Bus line for power as does the SIMM itself? Otherwsie using the SIMM with seperatate electronics and seperate Power supply may be too big, costly and bulky for certain applications?

Also, are the PCI modules fully isolated from C-Bus or do they just have RS232 level translators?

Also can the user end of the SIMM float at mains volatge 240/115 if it is isolated as you say?

cbuster, Dec 14, 2009
  13. Frank Mc Alinden

NickD Moderator

You can't.. that's not what the SIM is intended for.

You can't.

No.

Quite possibly.

The RS232 level translation of the 5500PC (and 5100PC) is isolated from C-Bus. This is why these draw 32mA whereas a SIM only draws 18mA - the extra current is to power the isolated supply for the RS232 level translator.

You could - as you say - it's isolated. Bear in mind that you would need to deal with all of the isolation/segregation and other regulatory compliance that comes along with doing this though.

Nick

NickD, Dec 14, 2009
  14. Frank Mc Alinden

cbuster

Thanks Nick

What are the physical dimensions (approx) of the SIMM?

From your response it seems you can only use the SIMM for "clipsal intended or clispal allowed applications" - Can you elaborate on what are the intended applications and what are NOT allowed applications?

I have read the product release info by admin and these allowed/not allowed applications are not mentioned, it would help if clipsal could clear up these matters before anyone attemps to proceed with their idea's only to later find that their idea's are not allowed?

If the 5000SIMM/2 interface module is used, from the release information I gather that devices using the SIMM module do not need to be Clipsal certified or C-Bus enabled as such - in the same way as devices that use the PCI module do not need to be Clipsal Certified or C-Bus Enabled?

cbuster, Dec 14, 2009
  15. Frank Mc Alinden

ashleigh Moderator

The SIM (it has one M - which stands for "Module") is a general purpose interface brick. You can use it to inject messages, and to monitor/filter the bus to receive messages.

You must only inject messages that are meaningful (read the protocol documents 17 times, please). Read the cbus interface levels in the document "Cbus interface requirements". The SIM can do everything apart from the topmost level of interface (I think thats level 5 or 6, can't remember now).

IF YOU USE A SIM to inject any old crap into a network (which you CAN do, you just should not) then please don't ask Clipsal for support of that network, or for help, or for diagnosis. You ain't doing it right!

If you want to make a new device that is completely bus powered, you can't use the SIM. You need to talk to the nice commercial chaps about an NDA and a partnering arrangement where design assistance can be provided under C-Bus Enabled.

ashleigh, Dec 14, 2009
  16. Frank Mc Alinden

Newman

There are no hidden allowed/not allowed uses of the SIM. You are free to use the SIM as you see fit, provided you comply with the requirements as outlined in the documentation provided with the SIM. If it is capable of doing what you want, then great. If you modify it to do some other purpose, you may put the integrity and safety of the entire installation in jeopardy. Don't do it.

Given that the SIM does not have a connection for providing power to an external device of some sort, it is reasonable to assume that powering external devices from the SIM is not possible. If you do this, you will take down the network.

One of the many patents protecting the C-Bus system covers the very unique power supply design. This is one of the fundamental principles that actually make a C-Bus network function, giving you topology free, 2-wire, 1km of cable, yada yada... if you try and spin your own solution then there will be tears before bed-time.

With the recent availability of the SIM, free download of source code for the driver and the opening up of lots and lots of protocol documentation, a huge amount of Intellectual Property is being disclosed by Clipsal, but there are still a few things that are protected by law. They are the things that reasonably guarantee the safety, integrity and performance of the network.

Newman, Dec 14, 2009
  17. Frank Mc Alinden

NickD Moderator

Just measured it with my precision measuring instrument (plastic ruler)...

The PCB is 48m x 35mm. With the headers on the bottom that it attaches to the base board with, it will sit about 10mm off the base board. The tallest part on the top of the board is about 13mm high, so it requires say 15mm clearance above.

As Newman said... there is nothing specifically intended or allowed/disallowed (there are the usual disclaimers about not using for life support applications).. it's more that the PCI is suited/designed for certain types of application... for example, C-Bus products like the touchscreens, DALI gateway, telephone interface, MRA are all based on the PCI. Switches and dimmers have much more precise timing requirements and have a different core with a whole new level of complexity. There is no equivalent to the SIM for these types of device.

Correct, you are not *required* to go through the C-Bus Enabled process, however we would still recommend that you do..

Before all this information was released, you could write software that interfaced to C-Bus through a PCI or CNI. The policy there was that if your product was not C-Bus Enabled, then Clipsal provided NO SUPPORT for a network to which it is attached. As far as I know this policy has not changed.

Going through C-Bus Enabled is not an expensive exercise, and it gives everybody (you, Clipsal, and the customer) peace of mind that the product is not going to compromise the integrity or performance of the installation.

Nick

NickD, Dec 15, 2009
  18. Frank Mc Alinden

PGOLD

NickD - what's actually involved in the process of C-Bus Enabled exercise and what are tests required to meet?

PGOLD, Dec 17, 2009
  19. Frank Mc Alinden

ashleigh Moderator

I'll answer that for Nick.

You contact the cbus enabled coordinator.

You will need to sign an agreement. Development you do will be against the published protocols (if you wish to diverge you need to work with Clipsal to explore why / what / how / where / when / if).

Once your product is done, you submit for testing. The testing will be that your product:

1. Does what you say it does (in general terms).

2. Emits onto cbus what you say it does.

3. Receives and processses from the bus what you say it does.

4. Does not put nasty muck out onto the bus.

In terms of (1) above - Clipsal is not some belevolent test house who will check your software for bugs. Thats up to you. Its a basic fitness-for-purpose test.

Bear in mind, if cbus enabled testing passes, you get certified as such. A big benefit is that Clipsal technical support WILL NOT demand your product be removed in the event of a site issue coming up - because your product is known and has been checked as not being nasty.

You also get the benefit of a confidence check, and and independent view which helps confirm that your understanding of what should go on is in fact on the right track.

And - you can ask questions in the low level gory bits and you will get answers.

This does come at a cost. I think from memory, joining the program costs either $200 or $500 (can't remember which) as a 1-time fee. Which, compared with just about every other similar arrangement for other systems around the world is between 1/10th and 1/100th of what you'd pay elsewhere. And its way way way below cost.

ashleigh, Dec 17, 2009
Ask a Question