Shutter relay - multiple motors

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Moricild, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Moricild

Moricild

Hi

Assuming that I want to open/close windows only together with one another, is it possible to run more than one motorized window winder from the same c-bus shutter relay provided, of course, that the total load remains under 2A?

Thanks

M

Moricild, Oct 14, 2010
  2. Moricild

Newman

Connecting multiple motors together off a single relay is not a good idea. Relay contact life would be shortened significantly under these circumstances, although how much the life will be reduced varies with the exact type and construction of the motors used.

Newman, Oct 14, 2010
  3. Moricild

Charlie Crackle

most motor makers discourage this also.

Charlie Crackle, Oct 14, 2010
  4. Moricild

znelbok

There are some non C-Bus controllers that do allow multiple motors to be connected, but they have seperate terminals for each montor - there is no parallel wiring involved. These can then be connected to a C-Bus relay for integration into the C-Bus system. I have one running two roller shutters in unison.

You should be able to use two controllers and have use the same group names, that way the appear to be one and whenever one goes up so will the other.

Mick

znelbok, Oct 14, 2010
  5. Moricild

conor1

Multiple motors

Hi ,
    I have 3 230v vertical blinds running off 1 shutter relay all in one room aprox 300mm apart ,generally they work fine but occasionally one won't open , this is generally when wife only touches Saturn quickly but if you hold it longer never a problem .
    Regards conor

conor1, Oct 14, 2010
  6. Moricild

Newman

Make sure that the FailSafe time in all shutter relays sharing the same group is identical, otherwise you might get some strange behaviour as one unit thinks the blinds are closed when another thinks they are open.

Newman, Oct 15, 2010
  7. Moricild

Newman

It will work, just don't expect the Shutter Relay unit to last a long time in this configuration. You'll also probably struggle to get a successful warranty claim out of either Clipsal or the motor manufacturer if anything fails.

Newman, Oct 15, 2010
  8. Moricild

NickD Moderator

Don't Do This!

The shutter relay is designed to run a single motor. Do not wire multiple motors in parallel to a single shutter relay.

The motor manufacturers' instructions I have seen specifically prohibit wiring multiple motors in parallel to a single switching device... one of the reasons is that you can get feedback through the internal limit switches and other circuit elements in the motor which can result in oscillation... I know this can destroy relays quickly, and I suspect it would make short work of the motor's limit switches and/or gearbox.

If you really need to run multiple motors off a single shutter relay, you could fit external relays (two for each motor - one for up and one for down), and drive the coils of these from the shutter relay. By the time you've done this though it's probably easier/cheaper to just use a shutter relay per blind.

Nick

NickD, Oct 15, 2010
Ask a Question