Shutter Relay L5501RBCP and DC Motors

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 2SC, Mar 20, 2010.

1. 2SC

2SC

This is probably a silly question but is it possible to control shutters that require 12VDC with the L5501RBCP?

According to the installation instructions the Shutter Relay L5501RBCP control 24VDC motors

I tested one and seems to work fine. However, I would like a more responsible answer.

2SC, Mar 20, 2010
  2. 2SC

Don

12Vdc shutters should be fine.

The lower the voltage the better, as there is less likelihood of a sustained arc across the contacts when they open.

There would be an upper voltage limit for controlling d.c. shutters without any additional arc suppression capacitors - probably near 30V, but it would depend upon the motor characteristics. I'm not aware of any testing that has been performed on d.c. loads to establish bounds of operation, but 12V d.c. should not cause any problems.

Don, Mar 20, 2010
  3. 2SC

adgilcan

Relay Driver in the L5501RBCP

Are the relays in the L5501RBCP driven by the C-Bus network (seems unlikely) or do they draw their power from one of the five input/outputs?

I'm wondering whether I could wire up the dry contact control for a curtain motor as shown in the attached pdf file? It seems I could use the SW/N and the OPEN & CLOSE terminals but I wonder how the relay is going to get its power to switch.

If I were to supply the relay unit with 220v ac to the A/L & N terminals, would this come through to the other relay contacts (seems likely)?

I would like to incorporate curtain control into a 5 Key DLT and also have it appear in Scenes.

Any tips gratefully received.

Many thanks

Duncan

Attached Files:

adgilcan, Nov 8, 2010
  4. 2SC

paulw11

Hi,

The shutter relay is powered by the C-Bus, it does not require connection to 240V.

Have a look at the Installation manual for the shutter relay. If you refer to figure 5.2, it shows the equivalent circuit for DC control.

From reading your document and looking at figure 5.2, it looks like you could achieve what you want by connecting the A/L and N terminals (or motor +/- if you use the DC sticker) with a wire loop and then connecting pin 1 of your motor interface to switched neutral (COM), pin 2 to open (+) and pin 3 to close (-).

You can include shutter levels in a scene and the relay will open or close the blind/curtain as required.

Paul

paulw11, Nov 8, 2010
  5. 2SC

adgilcan

Thanks Paul

That is the way it looks but I wasn't convinced that C-Bus could handle the load required to drive the relays.

adgilcan, Nov 9, 2010
Ask a Question