Shutter Controller Addition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charlie Crackle, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

On the project I am working on at the moment. there are shutters on windows that open outwards. opening and shutting the shutters with the windows open is not a good idea !

There is a switch on the windows that indicates when they are closed (low voltage)

these are wired back to the alarm panel (cbus enabled)

I am going to add logic so the shutter can not operate when the windows is open for this job

what would have been great is a LOGIC tab on the shutter relay. I could have then added the group address from alarm panel and AND to the controlling group address.

is it hard to add logic tab like other relays ??

Wish list item for version 3.0 firmware !

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 1, 2008
  2. Charlie Crackle

PSC

Charles,

Do you have a PAC or a Touch Screen (with logic) on the project?

PSC, Apr 2, 2008
  3. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Pac

Charlie Crackle, Apr 2, 2008
  4. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Good idea ?? Too hard to implement... ?? bad idea ?? still thinking about it...???

Would either make this any easier ?? :confused:

Charlie Crackle, Apr 6, 2008
  5. Charlie Crackle

ashleigh Moderator

Logic: too hard, won't happen in the forseeable future, if ever.

ashleigh, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Charlie Crackle

ICS-GS

Ahh the good old too hard basket, i have one of these too:p

ICS-GS, Apr 8, 2008
  7. Charlie Crackle

MIB

Mine's bigger. :)

MIB, Apr 8, 2008
  8. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

I guess it's a valid request. If it was me who was making the call on if it should be done, I would ask the following questions...

-Can this be done by using logic in another product (ie PAC, B&W MKII T/S or Colour T/S)?
    -How often will such a feature be used?
    -What other development(s) would be sacrificed to allow for this (there is only so much resource available)?
    -Will this sell more units? or Will not having it cost sales?

Conformist, Apr 8, 2008
  9. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Yes but it would be nice to do it with out needing them

When blinds/shutters motors should only be operated AND/OR when another condition exists.

A vegolla shuts when rain detected
    Can not shut roller shutter with outside opening windows open
    Can not shut blind with bifold doors open
    Awning will retract if wind speed too high or raining.
    Pool cover will not go over if wave sensor sences people in pool.
    You open a sliding door from the out side and the inside sunblind goes up
    If used as a Duct Damper controller. will operate if too may other dampers are closed and the heater is turned on to stop damage to heater

Other output units have this functionality..

Depends if you are working on the

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21002&postcount=2

as this is more important

Yes

No (but you then get the [PAC, B&W MKII T/S or Colour T/S] sale because you dont have the feature so better not to have feature !!

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
    Charlie Crackle, Apr 8, 2008
  10. Charlie Crackle

ashleigh Moderator

This is not the forum for a technical debate about HOW or WHY this is difficult, if not impossible.

But seeing as it seems to have taken a life of its own:

The shutter control relay includes a modelling mode, where you can set it to take a level (in %) and the relay will drive the shutter to APPROXIMATELY that position. (This is all dependant on getting the shutter operation time correct).

This mode is overloaded onto the other normally expected cbus behaviour, and was able to be done only after a lot of internal brainstorming in the development team. The problem lies around making one set of bus messages deliver 2 radically different outcomes (well actually about 4 outcomes if you include the 1, 2, and 3 buttons press-and-release type operations), and having it work (mostly) transparently so that for installers it seems to "just work".

A consequence of these design decisions is that some other operations become incredibly fraught with difficulty, and may even become impossible.

An alternative (which was actively contemplated) was to design a complete new set of bus messages, but doing this would have meant no compatibility with standard key units, as well as new firmware / software needed for touchscreens, HomeGate, and so on. Clearly that was easier in concept but the implementation consequences would have rather sucked.

Having made decisions about preserving compatibility, then whatever consequences come with that have to be lived with. There is no such thing as a perfect solution.

So simply asking for it (either you as customers, or the product management group) does not mean it can be delivered. To make the changes to support this may or may not be possible, it needs a detailed study and an evaluation of the (possible) adverse consequences. Initial assessments are that it is damn close to impossible.

ashleigh, Apr 9, 2008
  11. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Thankyou Ashleigh this all makes complete sence now.

I was very impressed it worked on the old hardware...

>>(This is all dependant on getting the shutter operation time correct).

What is this time.

Is the default based on a particular motor

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 9, 2008
  12. Charlie Crackle

Don

>>What is this time.

Is the default based on a particular motor<<

The time used is programmable for each installation. The time is the 'failsafe' time, which should allow just over the longest amount of time the motor needs to run to move the load over its full range in one direction.

If you have a load that takes longer in one direction than in the other, then this should be set to the longer of the two times.

As you can imagine, it is a compromise solution, but lacking position feedback (not likely to be available in most installs) and noting that travel time is affected by motor current, supply voltage, friction, viscosity of lubricant (curtains might open slowly on a cold morning and close quickly on a hot afternoon) and mass of load (especially for an installation involving a change in vertical position), it is the best we can do.

In most cases, where the driving motor is operating with a light load (and most of the above variations can be considered small), the travel time should remain within a few percent each time the load is moved, and the calculated potition will be also within a few percent.

If the position is REALLY important, you can always install a limit switch and use a bus coupler to stop the motion. I haven't quite thought this one out fully, but in having a play on the bench here, it appears that if the failsafe time is set to the next highest "standard" C-Bus ramp time, then issuing "ENDRAMP" by a bus coupler operating with the same group address as the shutter relay will achieve this when the shutter relay is operating in proportional mode.

Don, Apr 9, 2008
  13. Charlie Crackle

PSC

How hard is it to write a couple of lines of logic in the PAC?

If 'GA' (shutter down trigger) is not OFF, and 'GA' (window open) is not ON, then set 'GA' (shutter down) to ON.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
    PSC, Apr 12, 2008
  14. Charlie Crackle

brodricj

Why not just send the window switch to an analogue input unit, this will tell CBUS whether the window is closed or not. Get the analogue input unit logic to drive a relay channel, then connect the L through this to the shutter relay. So when the window is open the relay contact is open so there is no power at the shutter relay to drive the shutter motor down?

brodricj, May 7, 2008
  15. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Cost there are 13 windows !

Charlie Crackle, May 7, 2008
  16. Charlie Crackle

Mr Mark

Could you use the LV signal from the window switch to drive a conventional two pole relay (12 Volt coil), with one leg wired in series with the shutter feed? ie: if the windows are open, feed to the shutters is also open; windows close, relay closes and circuit to shutters is closed. The other leg could feed back into the alarm panel as before.

_____/ __(RELAY)_________/ __(BLIND CONTROL RELAY)_____________BLIND

I suppose this would introduce a few additional problems - indication / status would be the main one...

Mark

Mr Mark, May 8, 2008
  17. Charlie Crackle

simonhac

@ashleigh, thanks for your clear explanation of this. that's a clearer explanation that i managed to get out of the application note.

one question: if one uses a slider to set the shutter position, is it important to ensure that the slider never sends the 'reserved' values of 98%, 99% and 2%? should i set the minimum to 3% and maximum to 97%?

and another question: is there a way to get the interpolated position of the shutter as it is travelling? (`get <identifier> level` returns the target level, not the actual level.) i'm assuming the answer is 'no', since:

thanks, simon

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
    simonhac, Jan 20, 2017
  18. Charlie Crackle

NickD Moderator

Yes. Although, if you don't want to use the open/stop/close or open/stop close/stop key functions, and only ever wanted to use a slider or full open/close.. you can turn off "Level Translation Mode" in the shutter relay.

One thing to bear in mind is that the position is modelled based on the run time as a proportion of the "failsafe" time setting... so depending on how close this setting is to the actual run time (and also remembering that this is usually different for open vs close due to the weight of the blind).. the positioning is only approximate, and you will probably find that if you are changing between intermediate positions over and over that it will get out of whack. Letting it run to fully open or fully closed (and letting the failsafe timer time out) resets the position.

Not really. The only place this exists is within the shutter relay itself. Once stopped, the shutter relay reports its position as its current level in the MMI, so it's possible to extract it with a level MMI however this is not something that C-Gate (or anything else for that matter) does regularly, as it takes a lot of bus-bandwidth.

You could model it yourself if you can track the key events and know the failsafe time.

Nick

NickD, Jan 20, 2017
  19. Charlie Crackle

simonhac

thanks @NickD for your great answer. it helped a lot.

after moving my blinds with a SHUTTER TOGGLE, c-gate shows the level of the group address as 249:

Code:
    get //SHAC/254/56/142 level
    300 //SHAC/254/56/142: level=249

level 249 translates to 98%, which means SHUTTER TOGGLE.

so how do i interrogate the shutter relay to obtain the actual level? (ie. how do i determine whether the blind is open, closed or in the middle, rather than just toggled)

is there some kind of sync that i can force c-gate to do?

simonhac, Jan 23, 2017
  20. Charlie Crackle

NickD Moderator

As there is no centralised controller in C-Bus (or at least, there is no requirement for one), each C-Bus device keeps track of the level of any groups it's interested in by monitoring the bus messages.

Whilst there is a status correction mechanism (the "MMI") that happens every 3s (default) to keep the group *state* in sync, it doesn't pick up discrepancies in level (other than zero vs non-zero).

This works just fine for most things, except level translation in shutter relays :/

What you are seeing is the last "98%" that C-Gate saw.

To get the level, C-Gate would need to issue a level MMI command. It doesn't do this routinely because, as I mentioned previously, it uses a lot of bus bandwidth, on top of which it's usually not necessary.

I'm not a C-Gate guru myself, but I've had a quick look through the doco and can't see any commands that look like they would do a level MMI.

I can ask though, but even if it exists... it's not something you want to be doing frequently or you will find the rest of your system becomes slow to respond.

Nick

NickD, Jan 24, 2017
Ask a Question