Should I use Logic or blocks?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by pgordon, Oct 17, 2014.

1. pgordon

pgordon

Hi all... struggling with a scenario here... can't quite get it to work 100%...

I have a room with THREE independent lights in different parts of the room. These are wired to THREE channels on a relay unit, so depending on programming I should be able to switch them independently or as a group.

In the room I have a 6-key Saturn switch, upon which I have ONE button which I want as a toggle on/off for ALL THREE lights together as one... (one button is all I can spare on this particular input unit)

if this were all I wanted, I'd just put them all in the same group... but I want to retain the ability to switch any ONE of the three independently from the others, - just not from that Saturn... - I will use other inputs with more buttons available to control individual lights...

Using logic I can get ANY TWO of the lights to behave, but no combination of logic settings I can contrive will make all three switch as one...

I saw a post on these forums that said to forget the output unit logic and use the blocks on the input unit instead... which is right? - and if it's blocks, how is this done?

Many thanks...

Paul G.

pgordon, Oct 17, 2014
  2. pgordon

pgordon

Oh, and I don't think I can use a scene... since I really need to use a single button as an on/off toggle....

pgordon, Oct 17, 2014
  3. pgordon

Roosta

Hi,
    To answer your question, all of the options have their place in cbus land.. The block method is simple, but has the limitation of being able to only ever control 8 groups over the whole switch.. If you need more than this then you need to go to a scene, which can be controlled from a single button, by using 2 scenes.. I assume when you say 'logic' you refer to the logic tab in the relays? not the logic engine in the touchscreen, pac, or wiser..

To use the blocks tab, go into the switch in toolkit, assign the first light in the room to the button you wish to use, and set the function.. Then go to the blocks tab, you should see all of the switches button assignments here.. Then go down the bottom of the list to number 7 and 8 and change them from unused to the 2 additional groups you wish to control, then click the tick box to to assign the groups to the switch button number your first group is on.. Hopefully in the GUI that will make sense..

Roosta, Oct 18, 2014
  4. pgordon

Ashley

In addition to Roosta's answer (which I think is the easiest solution here) you can actually use a single button to toggle scenes. Create 2 scenes, one to turn the lights on with an action selector of 255 (or ON), and an off scene with an action selector of 0 (OFF). Select Trigger Control as the secondary application for the switch and for the key enable secondary application, select the appropriate trigger group and the function as toggle. Each press of the button will swap between the to scenes by alternating between the 2 action selectors.

Ashley, Oct 18, 2014
  5. pgordon

pgordon

Thanks Chaps, the blocks method worked a treat... I'm amazed I went for so long never having needed to learn about that feature before...

and I never knew it was possible to assign two scenes to a single button either... :)

pgordon, Oct 20, 2014
  6. pgordon

pgordon

Just been trying to implement this... first attempt to follow these steps is not working.. Is there any tutorial with some screengrabs so I can get a better understanding?

Cheers,

P.

pgordon, Nov 15, 2015
  7. pgordon

tsman

Ashley left out one bit. You need to put the two scenes into a different switch/Wiser/Touchscreen than the one you want to control it from. You can't do it from a single switch only.

tsman, Nov 15, 2015
  8. pgordon

Robbo_VIC

Blocks are such a great way to control multiple circuits. It's great when you have a 1, 2 or 4 gang switch but when you have a 6 or a DLT it gets hard. If Clipsal could squeeze another 8 block assignments into switches that would be amazing :)

Robbo_VIC, Nov 15, 2015
Ask a Question