SHAC CNI issues

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by chromus, Jun 2, 2020.

1. chromus

chromus

Hi Gang,

Hoping I can get some pointers.

I have a client on a remote site who has a SHAC previously installed but never properly implemented.

It behaves nicely when connected via the front USB port, but the eth0 connection is playing up pretty badly.

I found the original installer only turned on 1 clock and since enabling a couple more around the network (it has distributed output
    units over 3 locations) the comms have stabilised.

I found another thread which said to go to the CBUS settings on the Utilities Tab and click Save which then auto-magically does something that then allows me to connect using toolkit. If I disconnect toolkit I have to do the same thing again.

It has the latest 1.6 firmware installed,

I have done everything short of a factory reset as the client has been unwell and is being tested for the plague and I can't
    visit the site until that has been cleared.

What am I missing? The client wants Homebridge, MODBUS and a bunch of other stuff setting up but I am unable to proceed until I can be sure the unit is working properly. The client reported that CBUS "has been doing strange things".

@NickD @Wonkey @bmerrick @jboer -> do u guys have any suggestions?

chromus, Jun 2, 2020
  2. chromus

Pie Boy

Do you think it’s a cbus network problem as opposed to a shac issue?
    An idea, You’ve probly checked all ready, but I would check the network settings tab In the shac and check Dns server IP address and subnet
    Or ping/ trace route a lan device from settlings.

I take it you connecting to the shac web ui/ cni over wan?

Pie Boy, Jun 2, 2020
  3. chromus

chromus

Thanks for the reply.

The Webui on it is No issue, it functions just fine. Eth0 is set to a static IP and there are no issues with the Linux part of the SHAC (that I can tell).

I have had the client setup a computer and used RDP to connect to the SHAC and get the exact same symptoms within the LAN as WAN with port forwards.

I try and connect using toolkit and it bombs out, I goto the UI and save the CBUS screen again (with no changes) and toolkit connects next try.

Closing the toolkit needs me to repeat the UI save process to connect again.

The buggy CBUS was a fooked EDLT, and once unplugged the "strange things" went away.

It does appear to be the CNI functionality of the SHAC that is the issue.

chromus, Jun 2, 2020
  4. chromus

chromus

Oops missed @Ashley off my gurus list.

chromus, Jun 2, 2020
  5. chromus

Pie Boy

What if you try to connect to shac cni with cbus diagnostic utility Or putty or something, to see if its a toolkit problem?
    Another idea, Under your network settings in toolkit are you using cbus network connection type, cni connection or automation controller?

Pie Boy, Jun 2, 2020
  6. chromus

lcrowhurst

I have quiet a few installs of SHACs/NACs out at clients all of which I access either via apc located on site or I access external via port forwarding , using the SHAC as a CNI. Also about 50% of the sites I am also running Homebridge. On all of the I haven't had any issues, most sites also have a high number of EDLTs which I have had no issues with programming (except I can only do about 10 before I have to restart toolkit, but this is an issue even when not going through the SHAC.). In Toolkit I do set the interface to Automation Controller, and have a fixed IP address on the SHAC.

Not sure if this is of help or not, but it could point to a router or network switch issue.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    lcrowhurst, Jun 2, 2020
    Pie Boy likes this.
  7. chromus

chromus

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Tried CNI and CNIAC modes and get the same symptoms. I have to save the CBUS settings immediately before connecting allow a toolkit connection both local and remote.

I will have to wait till I can get to site next week to dig deeper.

chromus, Jun 2, 2020
  8. chromus

chromus

Update: for poops and giggles I swapped the unit to DHCP instead of Static IP ahead of doing a factory reset.

I've learnt the hard way that factory reset with a static IP can do strange things on Wiser so covering my bases.

I tested the connect and disconnect in Toolkit in this mode can now disconnect and reconnect toolkit as long as its within 10 seconds, without clicking save so looks like there is some sort of bug in the IP stack on the SHAC unit.

chromus, Jun 2, 2020
  9. chromus

chromus

Did a factory reset and had the client plugin to the USB port and set the unit back to DHCP on the Eth0 port.

The bug is still there:

Have to goto this screen and click save. It's like the CNI is being locked out by something and the save is unlocking it?
    [​IMG]

I have been thru the PDF manual again 2x and followed it step by step, this definitely appears to be the CNI being locked by something, and the save unlocks it temporarily till something connects to it again. I removed the homebridge device from the network so it isn't anything physical I can identify.

Attached Files:

chromus, Jun 3, 2020
  10. chromus

lcrowhurst

Can you change the static to a different number, maybe another piece of equipment has the same address, or is try to access that address

lcrowhurst, Jun 3, 2020
  11. chromus

chromus

Already tried that, both inside and outside the DHCP pool. This is a ubiquiti unifi network so there is lots of vision into the configuration and devices present. :(

I have had the owner contact their supplier for warranty request. All of the other units I've worked with have like you mentioned, just worked.

chromus, Jun 3, 2020
  12. chromus

chromus

@lcrowhurst would you mind checking this routes table, against your config, this is the only other setting I can find that might affect this.

upload_2020-6-3_16-25-12.png

chromus, Jun 3, 2020
  13. chromus

chromus

This got me thinking and I'm going to experiment with swapping the CBUS CNI port to another number as this would prevent anything that might want to connect to 10001 from getting in the way.

chromus, Jun 3, 2020
  14. chromus

chromus

changing port didnt fix and even setting up a VLAN separating the CNI and toolkit machine from the rest of the network didnt fix it.

Looks like the guys in Adelaide are gonna have a head scratcher.

chromus, Jun 3, 2020
  15. chromus

bmerrick

Hi Chromus,

Reading through your steps, I agree it sounds like a faulty SHAC.

Beyond what you and Laurence have already tried the only things I could think of that could possibly display those symptoms would be if the CNI were both still on the default address 255 as this would make only one CNI available and probably confuse the comms situation, or if the physical C-Bus link itself was having comms problems due to insufficient voltage/bad clock/too many burdens etc. Disabling and re-enabling the CNI as you have been doing would probably reset that issue if only for a while.

If the GUI and configurator are working, then the IP comms side sounds like its running fine.

Perhaps a C-Bus diagnostics from Toolkit looking at voltage/clocks/burdens might turn up something weird or a full C-Bus diag utility run when you can get to the site.

Not much help sorry!!

Brad

bmerrick, Jun 4, 2020
  16. chromus

chromus

Thanks for the reply Brad,

SHAC is set to addresses 001 and 002

Burden is online

4 Clocks enabled > I know this is excessive, but its 2 at each output unit board so if 1 board is offline the other can still be run if the link is severed between the 2 to load shed the CBUS power, and plug a hardware burden in as required.

Lowest voltage anywhere on the network is 25.2v and 140ma to spare

chromus, Jun 4, 2020
  17. chromus

countach

A tip from me, never give devices a static IP address in the firmware. Instead, go to your router, enter the MAC address of your device, and assign the static IP address there. That way (a) you never have to worry that your device can't connect (b) you have nice little documentation in the router setup of what all your devices IP addresses are.

countach, Sep 6, 2020
  18. chromus

KevinH

Agreed .. I once created two static IP's that conflicted. Problem was that both devices only connected 'on demand' and so mostly worked. It took ages to track down. I had only noted one IP in my notes and the other device took ages, literally months to identify as the culprit as it was offline mostly.

Also if you retire a piece of kit with a static IP and for some reason later re-add it to your network then it can be a real problem, as you don't know and often can't determine, the IP of this device if it now conflicts.

Also never allocate fixed IP's or reserved IP's within your DHCP range.

KevinH, Sep 8, 2020
  19. chromus

chromus

I’m way ahead of you fellas, this is a managed Ubiquiti network and it’s nothing to do with the IP network. This is all about some crappy code in the SHAC firmware.

In a former life I was responsible for large corporate customer data connectivity for a major telcos mobile data solutions.

The SHAC is always accessible over the IP network, it’s the CBUS tab that has to be re-saved using the web interface to re-open the CNI on it.

chromus, Sep 19, 2020
  20. chromus

Pie Boy

Strangely enough, until last week I had never experienced this issue, but went back to a site I installed a SHAC 12 months ago to make some minor toolkit changes.

Toolkit wouldn’t connect to the shac cni,
    Connected to local lan by cable.
    Went into the shac and reset/saved the cni settings and it connected.
    Like I said it’s never happened before, And all ip and cbus settings are correct etc
    there are no other issues(things not working or faults) at this site

As Chromus said, it appears to be directly related to the CNI part of the SHAC

+1 on this issue

Pie Boy, Sep 20, 2020
Ask a Question