Setting Wiser CNI IP Address

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by jamesng, Apr 18, 2009.

1. jamesng

wappinghigh

Mr/Ms Conformist

Actually my point one professional has been great. We have a fantastic ongoing relationship. And I'm nearly there anyway. It's the port forward and firewall settings that seem to be the problem. This is the icing on the cake. But it's very important icing. Because without it as you are aware some of the major benefits of a Wiser are lost.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't some basic port forwarding iinstructions and settings available by now for the more common routers. There are all pretty similar. How difficult would if for CIS to get a few and try them out and post some basic setup examples? This is standard stuff these days. Just about every networkable product has this sort of info available via web sites or within forums like this. I fail to see why this can't be done. Even your point one professionals might find it useful. It would also take some pressure off the tech support. Some of us early adopters dont mind working things through by ourselves via this sort of means. I'm not the only one with probs. And I won't be the last. So I'm really not sure why CIS would have a problem with this approach....

wappinghigh, Jun 3, 2009
  2. jamesng

Michael

Phone home....

I would recommend calling Tech Support again,
    Make sure you have your case number ready so they can gather a proper history of your previous calls. Im sure they will work through the issues with you and escalate the case if need be.

Michael, Jun 3, 2009
  3. jamesng

kjayakumar

The Wiser web UI port is port 80. You are using your Wiser as a LAN device right? So it is a LAN device and so it is the same port you use when you connect to the UI on the LAN. Yes, if you have port forwarded your 3rd party router's external ip port 8080 to your Wiser's LAN IP port 80, then yes, you will get the Wiser UI. Key point, is 3rd party router port 8080 goes to Wiser LAN IP port 80.

kjayakumar, Jun 3, 2009
  4. jamesng

HSLee

Hi jaya,

There is something i found out

RSS feed.
    In the PICED simulate, RSS feed icon show and can browse the website
    ~But after download and i log in via lan
    The RSS feed icon disappear.

Dimming
    Use wiser dim light, the light level will no response immediate, means
    when i click on the icon at wiser and the percent increase ( light also dim up or down) after i release and the light should stop immediately
    but it dim down or dim up a bit

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
    HSLee, Jun 3, 2009
  5. jamesng

ashleigh Moderator

Routers / modems / whatnot vary considerably by country, technical attachment type, model, and manufacturer.

The trouble with documenting this is you either do it right (with screenshots) or not at all. (I'm sure you understand why).

Then you have to cover a huge range of models. There are ISP's out there who employ people full time to do this level of support and documentation.

However, all that said, I've found when trying to figure out how to set up whacky modems or routers that the best resource is Mr Google. Enter the make and model and "port forward" as your search query and you get some pretty good guides very quickly.

There are (literally) thousands of these things out there.

A great resource is http://portforwarding.com

Clipsal will never ever be able to replicate the amount of info that site has, to that level of detail. Referring to it would be better. Perhaps the manual needs a revision :)

ashleigh, Jun 3, 2009
  6. jamesng

wappinghigh

Thanks for help Ashleigh

I'm nearly there. I sure am stupid :eek:
    My main problem was I'd left a security IP camera on port 80. :eek::eek:

Now that I've moved it off, I'm seeing the wiser. But it fails a socket authentication....and won't log on...still I'm nearly there.

When I get everything right I'd be more than happy to post the settings for the Apple airport express.

Catch ya..

wappinghigh, Jun 3, 2009
  7. jamesng

kjayakumar

Not at all. I think these questions are good. This is the right place for all of us to share what we end up doing to get things to work so that other folks can benefit as well.

kjayakumar, Jun 4, 2009
  8. jamesng

kjayakumar

I've seen this too when I used an RSS feed from a source that did not provide crossdomain.xml. Basically, Adobe Flash has protection against cross site scripting. This means that RSS feeds that come from a source that does not have a cross domain policy will work fine when run in simulation (because they're being pulled directly from your PC or device). But this will not work when run via the browser (because Flash will block the web user interface from connecting to that RSS site because that RSS site has not granted it permission since it does not have a cross domain policy file).

I have noticed that most professional sites like Wired and others now have crossdomain.xml. If the RSS feed you are using does not have it, you may want to contact them and ask them to consider:
    http://webservices.amazon.com/crossdomain.xml
    http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/thread.jspa?messageID=129755
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/articles/crossdomain_policy_file_spec.html

kjayakumar, Jun 4, 2009
  9. jamesng

wanricky

:confused:Sorry, back to the first problem. I couldn't get the simple IP Utility work. I can change everything except the ip of CNI itself. It always pop up Socket error #10013 and deny access. Any clue? Must be something fundermental......

wanricky, Oct 30, 2009
  10. jamesng

kjayakumar

The "deny access" part sounds like a password issue. I've had no problems changing the CNI IP address using the IP setup utility. A few things that I would verify:
    a) which OS are you running? (I've only used the IP setup utility on Windows XP and running with administrator privileges)
    b) which version of the IP setup utility are you running?
    c) which version of the CNI do you have? (you can also check by going to the CNI's IP address in a web browser, eg: http://192.168.2.2 )
    d) can you ping the CNI from your host machine? eg: ping 192.168.2.2
    e) what is the IP of your host machine and the IP of your CNI currently?

Hope that helps.

kjayakumar, Nov 2, 2009
Ask a Question