Setting Wiser CNI IP Address

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by jamesng, Apr 18, 2009.

1. jamesng

jamesng

How does one change the default IP address of the Inline CNI which comes with the Wiser Home Controller.

We're attempting to adopt the "Option B" network config with the Wiser Home Controller and CNI are both on the same IP subnet as the Customer's other network equipment - so the CNI needs to be set to a 192.168.1.X address (rather than the default 192.168.2.2 address).

Cheers
    James

jamesng, Apr 18, 2009
  2. jamesng

ashleigh Moderator

Download the new IP setup utility. Its on the downloads page. It sets up the new CNIs and the old ones. You can do bulk setup as well, setting up multiple CNIs (of new or old generation) is about 10x to 100x faster than before. Try it - you should like it.

ashleigh, Apr 19, 2009
  3. jamesng

jamesng

Thanks Ashleigh,

The new IP setup utility works a treat!

I now have my wiser up and running, and was surprised at how easy it's been to get a base configuration setup with lighting, climate and security up and running!

Cheers
    James

jamesng, Apr 19, 2009
  4. jamesng

HSLee

hi jamesng,

i also trying with wiser in option B ,
    are you success in remote access?
    after i enable the remoate access and port 8080

HSLee, May 29, 2009
  5. jamesng

kjayakumar

Hi HSLee,

It works fine for me. I find in my usage of Wiser, that I benefit when I write down the configuration parameters for all the things that are involved. This helps me make sure that I've got everything configured correctly. I would recommend this as a standard practice for anyone trying to get a Wiser setup up and running. For example, I have 2 Wiser setups that I use. One is a Wiser running in a home using PPPOE on an ADSL modem line. Another is a Wiser running as a LAN device on a static IP within an office network with a SDSL router. Here are my settings:

a) ADSL setup for a home
    Mode
    Router parameters:
    External connection method: PPPOE
    Local IP address: 192.168.2.1
    DHCP enabled
    DHCP range 192.168.2.100 - 150
    DDNS:
    username: myusername
    password: mypassword
    hostname: myhostname.dyndns.org

PICED-Wiser Project Parameters:
    Wiser IP: 192.168.2.1
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.2.2
    Wiser CNI Port: 10001
    Use NTP
    Enable Toolkit: No
    Enable Projector: Yes
    Enable Project Update: No

With this configuration, I can then access and control this home Wiser from inside that network and also internet connected networks. When I want to allow external toolkit or project upload, then I use the web UI to enable that and then disable after that task is completed.

b) Office setup
    Settings on a 3rd party Router/Firewall at 192.168.100.1:
    port forward external IP:TCP ports 8080,8888,8889,8336,8337,10001 to Wiser IP (192.168.100.100)

Wiser Router parameters (setup as a LAN device):
    External connection method: DHCP (nothing plugged into Wiser's WAN/Internet port)
    Local IP address: 192.168.100.100
    DHCP disabled (so that it does not conflict with my office router's DHCP settings)
    DDNS: (will not work in this mode so must use the 3rd party router)

Wiser IP: 192.168.100.100
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.100.101
    Use NTP
    Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports <- this makes it a LAN device
    Gateway: 192.168.100.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS: 192.168.100.1

With this configuration, I can then access and control this office Wiser the same way I can for the home Wiser.

In my experience, writing these things down helps identify any configuration problems within minutes.

Hope that helps,
    jaya

kjayakumar, May 29, 2009
  6. jamesng

HSLee

thx for you help jaya.
    its help a lot

HSLee, Jun 1, 2009
  7. jamesng

wappinghigh

Jaya

I'm also having trouble setting up "option B" just putting it on my LAN

I note you have set up as follows:

3rd party router: 192.168.100.1
    Wiser IP: 192.168.100.100
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.100.101

My setup is

3rd party router: 192.168.0.1
    Wiser IP: 192.168.0.88
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.0.89 (via gateway 192.168.0.88)

so when I go to browse onto the CNI 192.168.0.89:10001 either remotely or via the LAN it returns ***Connection already in use

so should my setup be changed to
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.0.88.89 ??

Actually in general I'm not real happy having a second "router" (ie the wiser) left set up as a "router" on my LAN...isn't there any way of actually really disabling the router functioning and leaving it as a simple switch/LAN device? Apple does this very effectively with running additional airports...

it's just I've had previous problems later down the track running 2 routers on the same network....(ie conflicts)....comments???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jun 1, 2009
  8. jamesng

NickD Moderator

The CNI only supports one connection at a time, and the connection is already in use by the wiser... however... if you try port 10001 on the *wiser* IP address, it will forward the connection to the CNI.

In option B, you're not connecting anything to the WAN port, so it is not operating as a router. As long as you have turned DHCP off in the Wiser, there should be no conflicts... it's just another device on your network (as long as you've enabled the "LAN mode" option in the configuration in PICED).

Nick

NickD, Jun 2, 2009
  9. jamesng

wappinghigh

Actually. I haven't done this...

I haven't enabled LAN mode in PICED..will do. Maybe this is my problem....:rolleyes:

wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  10. jamesng

wappinghigh

Now what!

Ok...I've gone into PICED and tried to set the Use Access from WISER LAN Ports. Checked the box....but it won't let me set the LAN Properties eg Gateway address etc (I assume this is of the primary router) The fields don't accept any input! If I skip this and try to finish, an error comes up to say I haven't completed the information...but it didn't let me complete the information!!!! What the.....:confused:

wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  11. jamesng

HSLee

same thing happen here

HSLee, Jun 2, 2009
  12. jamesng

wappinghigh

Ok..that hurdle jumped

Yep finally got around that problem. Not really sure how...just trial and error...ah....it's not real intuitive:eek:

But enabling this doesn't seem to have done anything to my network...see other post re timecapsule...

wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  13. jamesng

HSLee

My setup for option B
    Settings on a 3rd party Router/Firewall at 192.168.1.1:
    port forward external IP:TCP ports 8080,8888,8889,8336,8337,10001 to Wiser IP (192.168.1.2)

~For this setup able to go in wiser by 192.168.1.2 at address bar (LAN)

Wiser Router parameters (setup as a LAN device):
    External connection method: DHCP (nothing plugged into Wiser's WAN/Internet port)
    Plug 3rd party router LAN-> WISER LAN
    Local IP address: 192.168.1.2
    DHCP disabled (so that it does not conflict with my office router's DHCP settings)
    DDNS: (will not work in this mode so must use the 3rd party router)

Wiser IP: 192.168.1.2
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.1.3
    Use NTP
    Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports <- this makes it a LAN device
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

I follow this setting by when try to remote access with DYNDNS it show fail
    http:myusername.DNYDNS.ORG --> This address log in to my router
    http:myusername.DNYDNS.ORG:8080 --> This should be the address to WISER right?

HSLee, Jun 2, 2009
  14. jamesng

wappinghigh

I need help to...

Yeh...not easy is it....

Would the nice engineers at CIS please post some user guides for setting up remote access into a LAN connected WISER...:)

surely Option B will become the most commonly used setup....

wappinghigh, Jun 2, 2009
  15. jamesng

Conformist

You are correct... it's not easy. That's why this product has only been released to PointOne Professionals at the moment. If you are not a PointOne installer, can I assume you bought your product from one? You need to go back to that person for some assistance. CIS engineers do not provide tech support... it's not their role. The fact they swing by this forum and help out is something they do because of their passion for the product and the industry. Tech support provide assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
    Conformist, Jun 3, 2009
  16. jamesng

wappinghigh

Ok>>

Ah....

I tried tech support. They had no idea.

If engineers can't help..who can???

you are assuming Point One professionals are always available and know more than the customer about the finer details of home networking.....

CIS has to provide detailed networking "templates" or work sheets about how to set up the product. Otherwise users will not be able to use the full features of this great piece of technology. The wiser is after all a network device....

wappinghigh, Jun 3, 2009
  17. jamesng

kjayakumar

Yes, the Wiser would be accessible via http://myexternalname:8080/ . However, note the above part "DDNS: (will not work in this mode so must use the 3rd party router)" because in this case, it is your 3rd party router (the one that is actually connected to the internet) that has to do the dyndns work. So if you are having difficulty with dyndns, you'll need to check your 3rd party router's status. For example, on my 3rd party router, it turned out I had not enabled time, and it was not able to synchronize with dyndns until I corrected that. One way to verify external connectivity and that your 3rd party router is port forwarding correctly, is to just use the external IP address directly in your phone or from an external internet. You can get your external IP address from the 3rd party router or by using whatsmyip.org

kjayakumar, Jun 3, 2009
  18. jamesng

kjayakumar

Enabling LAN access means your Wiser is now a LAN device. If you can access it on your LAN, and you've port forwarded the ports from the 3rd party router (as described in this thread), and you have enabled remote projector, then it should work fine.

One of the problems I've observed is that the 3rd party router's ports aren't configured to be forwarded correctly. For example, in one scenario, I saw an attempt to port forward the 3rd party router's external IP port 80 to Wiser's LAN IP port 80, but that router had a rule protecting port 80 from being forwarded so that the router's own Web UI would always be accessible. A simple way to get around that is to use port 8080 instead, so port forward 3rd party router's port 8080 to Wiser's LAN IP port 80 (since that is the Wiser's LAN web port).

kjayakumar, Jun 3, 2009
  19. jamesng

Conformist

TECH SUPPORT !!!!!! You need to press the issue!!!!! I will follow this up

If they don't know, then they shouldn't be selling this to you!!! They have an obligation to support this if they are selling it to you. Please PM me who you bought it from

Wrong!!! Again (gee, I'm sounding like a broken record).... This product has been purposely given limited release to PointOne Professionals. If they chose to on-sell to someone else, theymust provide value added support. That is the very reason it was setup in this way. This should not be your problem to deal with.

PM me the details I've asked for and I'll follow up

Conformist, Jun 3, 2009
  20. jamesng

HSLee

HSLee, Jun 3, 2009
Ask a Question