Setting up Wiser on Existing Network

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Bmcappion, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Bmcappion

Bmcappion

I Have a question about using the Wiser on an existing network without changing anything on the network.

The network is in place with a Belkin N1Vision router and there are a lot of devices set up already with static IP etc within the specified IP Range 192.168.0.1 is the router IP.

We want to set up the Wiser on the network to access the CBUS network but want to only use the Belkin to Access it (I hope that makes sense) IE the wiser will just be another device on the Belkin network and you would access it through the wireless on the Belkin Router.

Is this possible and what is the best approach for this. I had tried it before as i have a good knowledge of Networks but it failed.

Can anyone give me some advice of what i need to change. Also i think i am going along the right track of having the wiser set up as an access point and not router mode?

I hope someone out there can help as i think having the Iphone/Ipad Functionality will be fantastic within the house.

Cheers

Bmcappion, Aug 11, 2010
  2. Bmcappion

NickD Moderator

Can you use a wired ethernet connection to the Wiser?

If so then you just need to plug one of the LAN ports on the Wiser into your existing network, and use the Wiser in LAN mode (this is set in the project options in PICED).

Nick

NickD, Aug 11, 2010
  3. Bmcappion

Colin Moderator

To Expand nicks comments for you.

To set this up assuming the following
    1. You have a new wiser that is at factory defaults
    2. You are able to connect the wiser to a physical wired port on the existing network.
    3. You are on site with access to the customers network.
    4. You do not want to use the wiser as a second wireless AP.

the wiser out of the box has the following settings.

IP Address: = 192.168.2.1
    Subnet : = 255.255.255.0
    DHCP server enabled.

The approach i would take if i was doing this is.
    1.Connect you PC to the customers network and Identify 2 x free IP address's on the customers network and note them down. Also not the default gateway and primary and secondary DNS settings for their network (you can use ipconfig -all from the command prompt to get this info)

2.Disconnect from customers network and Connect your PC directly to the wiser (Do not connect the wiser to any part of the customers network). Once connected verify that you have received an IP address from wiser by default this will likely be 192.168.2.100 or similar.
    to verify open a command prompt and type Ipconfig and hit enter.

3. Start the Clipsal IpConfig Utility and scan for the CNI (the CNI should be connected to the wiser), once found change the IP address of the CNI to one if the free IP address identified in step 1. My preference is to user the higher of the 2. also set the gateway address of the CNI to the gateway address identified in step 1. Save these changes and close the utility.

4.Open a Web Browser and enter the IP address of the wiser (if factory default this will be http://192.168.2.1/index_i.htm. this will take you to the wiser router configuration page.

5. Go to the Wireless tab and disable the wireless and select save the wiser will then reboot. (skip this step if you want to use wiser as a second AP).

6.On the setup/basic setup tab Set the IP address of the wiser to the other IP address identified in step 1 this should not be the same address used in step 3. (Do not save changes yet)

7. On the setup/basic setup tab set the DHCP service to disabled (Now Save).

8. Once the Wiser has rebooted you can now connect it to the customers physical network, assuming you have done step 1 correctly you should not get any IP conflicts.

9. Start Piced and open your customers project, then go to to project properties set the IP Address for the wiser to match the IP address entered in Step 6 and the CNI address to match the one entered in Step 3, assuming that the CNI was also factory default their should be no need to alter the port.

10. In the project properties under the LAN tab enable the "Allow access from wiser for LAN ports" and enter the Gateway address and DNS address's that where identified in step 1 if you only have 1 or 2 DNS address's leave the remaining blank.

11. save the project and then download to the wiser.

If all has gone well you have now setup the wiser to be a LAN device only on your customers network.

Remember if you want the customer to have access to the wiser remotely you will need to setup port forwarding on their router as per the instructions but in place of using port 8080 use port 80. Also if you plan on using cameras the default gateway address of the camera should be set to the IP address of the Wiser in order for remote access to work with camera's

Hope this was helpful

Colin, Aug 18, 2010
  4. Bmcappion

BigBoyVn

camera image can not access

Thanks for your clear instructions.

I set Wiser as Lan devices and connect Wiser to a Router with DynDns setting. I can remote access Wiser to control things. I set camera default gateway is Wiser lan ip address.

When I connect Wiser Wireless Lan or from lan network the camera image displayey, but when connect Wiser from internet I only the camera icon with no image.

Would you please help to advise me what to do?!

Thanks!

BigBoyVn, Oct 13, 2010
  5. Bmcappion

mattyb

I had exactly the same problem when I set up our Wiser. I believe that these instructions from the Piced help file are wrong...

You actually need to forward the port for the web camera to the WEB CAMERA IP ADDRESS not the Wiser IP Address.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Matt

mattyb, Oct 14, 2010
  6. Bmcappion

NickD Moderator

I'm not so sure about that. The way the wiser handles cameras and port forwarding is quite confusing. Perhaps Colin can clarify here.

Nick

NickD, Oct 14, 2010
Ask a Question