Setting up a wiser in LAN mode

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by 2SC, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 2SC

2SC

Please help me with this. I have a wiser that has already uploaded a project.
    I would like to set it up in LAN mode.

The steps I made were these as Colin described (http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6240&highlight=wiser+lan)

1.I checked my network and I choose 2 x free IP addresses

2.I Disconnect from network and Connected my PC directly to the wiser. Once connected I verified that I had an IP address from wiser 192.168.2.100

3. I Started the Clipsal IpConfig Utility and scanned for the CNI however I got the error message for memory violation. The solution I found was: disconnect CNI from wiser, gave power and connection directly to my local network and there it is. the Clipsal IpConfig Utility works now fine and I changed my CNI's IP to the one I wanted (the grater one from step one).

4.I disconnect CNI from local network, I connect it back to wiser and I Open a Web Browser and enter the IP address of the wiser (after a reset this was http://192.168.2.1/index_i.htm. this took me to the wiser router configuration page.

5.On the setup/basic setup tab I Set the IP address of the wiser to the other IP address identified in step 1 (the lower one)

6. On the setup/basic setup tab set the DHCP service to disabled and saved.

7. Once the Wiser has rebooted I connected it to my physical network

8. Since the project was already loaded in wiser, I Opened a Web Browser and enter the new IP address of the wiser. Unfortunately, I could not connect to the unit. I disconnect it from the network and tried to connect it directly to my PC. Nothing happened again since I had configurated wiser in LAN mode and the ports are useless...

Any idea of how I will overcome this situation?

2SC, Oct 21, 2010
  2. 2SC

2SC

Problem solved in a way that I am ashamed to reveal in public... :eek:

2SC, Oct 22, 2010
  3. 2SC

Darren Senior Member

We have all been there :)

Darren, Oct 22, 2010
  4. 2SC

2SC

I had my wiser in type A configuration and the remote access worked fine..

Since my customers preferred wiser in LAN mode, I turned mine in LAN mode in order to check who to do it and how it works. Unfortunately, I lost remote access and I really can't understand why...
    I setup the wiser, ip addresses are the same in piced and in wiser, I set the port forwarding (I just changed ip address since it worked fine in the previous configuration).

When I am trying to connect to wiser from a remote address I get this error:

Any idea of what is wrong?

Attached Files:

2SC, Oct 28, 2010
  5. 2SC

2SC

2 days ago I installed another wiser unit in Lan Mode. Trying to access it remotely we chose port 8080 as per instructions. However, the wiser did not respond. After several trials we chose port 8088 and wiser works fine.

I don't Know why and I still can't understand why I can not access my wiser remotely...

2SC, Nov 1, 2010
  6. 2SC

tobex

Where are you in relation to the WISER ? Same LAN or some place in another location of the internet ?

I was reading the information you provided and I wanted to ask,

a) what is the IP address of the main router ? I assume the WISER is second router device in the network.

b) When you switch off DHCP what was your new IP address ?

c) Is router 1 and router 2 in the same IP range as each other. xxx.xxx.xxx.(1...255). I assume that if you are in xxx.xxx.001.xxx and xxx.xxx.002.xxx then you will have problems contacting one or the other router. Whichever DHCP you disable the other DHCP will take over and you may lose contact.

I assume you already figure this out but I dont totally understand the problem so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
    tobex, Nov 1, 2010
  7. 2SC

2SC

the problem in few words is that I can't connect to wiser remotely (meaning from another place)

my router IP is 192.168.1.1 and wiser IP is 192.168.1.10

I can connect to wiser when I am in the same network, however when I am trying remotely I can't connect although the DDNS service is working correct (as you can see when I ping I receive message)

In my mind this means that something is wrong with the port forwarding.
    However I cant understand what is wrong. As I said in a previous post, when we installed a wiser in our customers house, wiser worked remotely only when we choose post 8088 (it refuses access in port 8080 or 8000)

2SC, Nov 1, 2010
  8. 2SC

tobex

I mentioned some ideas in another thread almost similar to this. I can write for you some ideas that are not in any specific order.

PLAN A
    ==========

Router 1 (main router)
    ----------------
    a) Restrict DHCP so that it is above and below the fixed IP address in use.

for example. Let DHCP be only xxx.xxx.xxx.32 to xxx.xxx.xxx.96 . Leave all other address available for fixed address functions.

b) 8000, 80, 8080 are usually blocked by router 1. This is because that is the native port number of the router 1 same as it is router 2. By default usually remote management is disabled on WAN port in Router 1. In this situation you need PORT TRIGGERING function.

For example: what is port 9090 of the internet side, is port 8080 of the LAN side with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.10 <<< this is a rule you can make insider router 1.

This type of method is port translation also called port triggering. It means that you can have more than one device active on port 8080 in a LAN and be able to open them from the WAN by making a rule inside Router 1 that can accept information across different port and send them to the correct location.

Can you tell me the model name of the Router 1 ? Looks like Linksys.

Since your DDNS is working well then you don't have many steps to complete this task. One more step and it will work.

I have a sample down below that I have made with no consideration for UDP/TCP parameters. Maybe someone familiar with this requirement can suggest a more correct solution. I am also uncertain if my English is the same as Netgear-English so I don't know if I am getting this reverse. The information I am using can really only be proven with testing.

PLAN B
    ==========

Since you are allowed to change the management port on the WISER why not change it to 9090 and then make a rule for 9090 in router 1. This is maybe a little easier.

Since it is now only LAN device. Remote management = ON is not necessary. This is only for WAN port activity (unless I am totally wrong with WISER-English). When you are only using Wiser only with LAN ports this remote management setting makes no difference because you can not switch off management from LAN port.

Plan B is probably faster.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
    tobex, Nov 1, 2010
Ask a Question