Setting the IP address on the 5500CN

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by DaleS, Nov 21, 2013.

1. DaleS

DaleS

I've tried setting the IP address of a 5500CN using arp - s (as per the installation instructions).

When I first do an arp -a, it shows a self assigned address of 169.254.163.217.
    I've used the

Can't seem to get it to change from that. Any ideas?

Also the power supply (Clipsal brand) seems to get quite warm. It and the 5500CN uses 5.5W. Is the transformer a proper switch mode job, or a cheaper transformer based one? It hums, which makes me think it is the latter.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    DaleS, Nov 21, 2013
  2. DaleS

Conformist

Conformist, Nov 21, 2013
  3. DaleS

DaleS

thanks for the advice,

This seems to work from windows (running in VMware on my Mac) - the 5500CN has a proper address (192.168.0.32)

However using "arp -a" on my Mac still shows the same device as having a self assigned address (169.254.111.7).

I've no idea why this would be happening! :confused:

Edit: I can turn lights off/on through the device (via Windows) so all is (relatively) ok!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    DaleS, Nov 22, 2013
  4. DaleS

rhamer

The way the ARP method allows access to a CNI is a little bit of black magic implemented in the Lantronix interface.

I believe the technical term is ARP Stuffing.

Essentially it makes the unit temporarily adopt an IP address, so you can connect to it with tools such as Telnet to actually change the IP address. This is achieved by forcing an entry into the computers arp table. This in turn then fools the computer into finding the MAC address of the device and therefore able to communicate with it. But unless you do the Telnet step to actually change the IP address it will not be permanent. (And this only works on the computer who's ARP table you fiddled with).

There is a bit more to it, than this, but where I'm heading is, delete all the entries in the arp table on the offending computer, then ping the CNI. This should initiate a new ARP request/response sequence and update the computers arp table with the correct information.

If this doesn't work, then I usually shout out to my networking guru Charlie Crackle who points out where I've gone wrong.

Try chanting his name 3 times on this forum and see if he appears :)

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Nov 22, 2013
  5. DaleS

ashleigh Moderator

The IP Config Utility is your friend.

The power supply type will depend on its age. Once upon a time they were transformer based and got quite warm. Then MEPS came along and most transformer plug pack power supplies bit the dust: too inefficient. So if its a modern one it would most likely be a switch mode, and mostly those never get warm.

ashleigh, Nov 23, 2013
  6. DaleS

DaleS

IP Config only runs on Windows unfortunately, so I have to boot VMWare to do this work. Oh well...

and yes it looks as though I have one of the older transformers. At least it help keeps the room warm.

DaleS, Nov 25, 2013
  7. DaleS

ashleigh Moderator

If you have a Lantronix-based CNI, even the Labtronix tools run only on windows.

If you want to do common hardware support stuff from a non-windows platform, you are in the 5%... not many makers offer support.

ashleigh, Nov 25, 2013
  8. DaleS

jboer

Which is really quite a laugh, I know many many IT people and the majority of them are now running the base OS of Linux or OSX with a VM with windows over the top. The only reason for really having to do this is because simple little things like a MAC database and ARP Stuffer App only come in a windows package.....

Personally it is another display of the silly circle,
    End User: I need a Win computer because half of my apps are Win apps
    Manufacturer: Everyone uses Windows so there is no point making anything else.

It is getting easier and easier to port to other platforms now with the tools that are out there. http://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder

Even Steam supports many platforms, (albeit not perfectly) and most of the programs are ported.

Apologies for the rant, just something that makes me a little sad every day when I see things that could so easily be made much better with a little thought.

jboer, Nov 25, 2013
  9. DaleS

ashleigh Moderator

Fair enough.

But you have to ask a simple question, when engineering costs $100+ / hour. (AND YES I KNOW THATS NOT THE TAKE HOME PAY. But labour + on-costs are about that.)

If it takes 2+ weeks to write a small utility (eg the Lantronix utility would have taken far more than that when you look at all that it does, and the C-Bus IP utility took about a month), then thats a substantial cost.

When for C-Bus about 90% + of installers use a windows laptop, AND these utilities are put up for free, where is the payoff for doing a Mac version AND at least one Linux version? Binary compatibility being a pig, Linux ends up requiring source code release, or building about 5 to 10 binaries.

Much pain, no gain.

If the software was being sold for money it might be a different matter and a sensible business case could be made (to do or to drop it). But when under pressure to get stuff done and move on, and the programs are FREE, there is no way you will ever convince the finance people to do something that makes 10% or less of users happy. It was hard enough getting approval to do the program for FREE that sorted out the 90%....

Thats business.... its not a charity.

ashleigh, Nov 26, 2013
  10. DaleS

manly dam

Hey guys,

I have recently acquired a C-Bus Network Interface. I am trying to find its IP range, I just have a red ethernet light on at the moment, performed IP scans and reset the IP address manually by the reset button for 5 seconds and no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

manly dam, Mar 18, 2020
  11. DaleS

Conformist

Connect both C-Bus network to the C-Bus connection and ethernet connection to the ethernet port. I think red only was powered unit but no physical connection to ethernet network

Conformist, Mar 19, 2020
Ask a Question