ServerX Woes

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by NickLocke, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NickLocke

NickLocke

Very impressed by the tech support chaps - I now have a demo CD for Schedule Plus all the way from Australia. So, that gives me a copy of ServerX to use with my HomeGate CD.

Or at least it would if I could get it to install! First time through, it installed Java and then stopped. Every time now, it just stops. It seems to hang as shown in the attached screenshot.

Ideas welcome,

Thanks, Nick

Attached Files:

NickLocke, Apr 15, 2005
  2. NickLocke

lcrowhurst

install

what Operating system r u using, Ive had problems installing on Server 2003.
    Also are you running any firewall software, if so turn it off while you do the install

lcrowhurst, Apr 16, 2005
  3. NickLocke

NickLocke

XP and W2003

Tried it on XP Professional SP2 and on Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP1. In both cases, Windows firewall was not running.

Both do exactly as explained above.

Desperation starting to set in now!

Thanks, Nick.

NickLocke, Apr 17, 2005
  4. NickLocke

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Nick,

I'm not connected with this software but maybe it's getting stuck trying to find all the network locations, have you got lots of mapped drives etc? Just a random thought, sorry if it doesn't help.

daniel, Apr 18, 2005
  5. NickLocke

Richo

Server X is developed by Clipsal's engineering team in malaysia, they don't tend to frequent this forum much. I would recommend you contact tech support by phone on this item as most the CIS people here are not familar with the product.

Richo, Apr 18, 2005
  6. NickLocke

MiniMe

the problem with loading the software may be due to not being on a computer connected to the net?
    I had a problem loading the java when loading the toolkit sofware due to the computer not being connected to the web. once it was connected to a network

MiniMe, Apr 18, 2005
  7. NickLocke

NickLocke

Food for thought, thanks folks!

I have emailed tech support.
    It is connected to the internet.
    I'll try losing the mapped drives next.

Cheers

NickLocke, Apr 18, 2005
  8. NickLocke

Darren Senior Member

Sometimes anti-virus software can cause problems for installers.

Someone made a comment about the installer being expired. Try winding back your computer clock by a couple of years, then try the installation.

Darren, Apr 20, 2005
  9. NickLocke

mazeem

ServerX hangs

I am facing the same problem with Serverx on Server 2003, did you get a fix for this problem from Tech support?

mazeem, May 4, 2005
  10. NickLocke

ashleigh Moderator

Sounds to me like you need to report this to CIS Technical Support and ask for a software qualification test & resolution.

ashleigh, May 5, 2005
  11. NickLocke

Scar

I too am currently experiencing this on a windows xp pro machine.
    Just locks up pc when asking you where to install.
    I have tried all suggestion in this forum to no avail.
    Tried connected to net/not connected
    removed all other programs firewall etc.

Stiill comes up with same problem.

I have installed it on a windows 2k laptop with no problems but the xp machine refuses to work.

Also seemd to kill my cgate connection till i turned off and left off over night. Seems to me might be a java problem.

Cheers.

Scar, May 12, 2005
  12. NickLocke

ashleigh Moderator

To escalate this issue you need to call CIS technical support to get it formally actioned.

Most of the CIS engineering staff who post here do so in their own time, and will give "quickie" answers where possible. If you have big nasty problems, tech support is the avenue to use to get it internally raised as an issue, and to start an investigation and corrective action process.

ashleigh, May 12, 2005
  13. NickLocke

NickLocke

Tech Support Update

I have raised this issue (and they are aware of this thread). I have not had an e/mail response, but I can see that there is a parcel (I assume a CD) on the way to me from Clipsal in Adelaide.

I am guessing that it is a new version of Server-X. Once it arrives, I will post an update.......

Nick

NickLocke, May 12, 2005
  14. NickLocke

rhamer

Ok, time to make a fool of myself (again).

What exactly is Server X? :confused:

Iv'e been trying to figure it out since this thread started.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, May 12, 2005
  15. NickLocke

Richo

Server X is a product that makes Schedule Plus available for control from a webbrowser. It is an added on that is installed on the same PC as Schedule Plus.

Richo, May 13, 2005
  16. NickLocke

NickLocke

It works !

I have received a copy of a newer version of Server-X from Clipsal in Australia. At first, I had the same problem with the install as described above.

I then tried installing C-Gate 1.5 (from the same CD) first. Once I did that, the Server-X install worked properly.

I then uninstalled C-Gate 1.5 (I don't need it as I use version 2). Server-X still works fine.

So, it seems that C-Gate 1.5 is a prerequisite for the install, but is not needed afterwards.

Thanks to everyone that has helped to get this working.

Nick

NickLocke, May 21, 2005
  17. NickLocke

ashleigh Moderator

Sorry to be a pest and hammer this point - but can you please formally report this finding back to tech support so that a corrective action can be opened to get the ServerX installer fixed.

ashleigh, May 22, 2005
  18. NickLocke

NickLocke

Formal Tech Support Report

Ashleigh - I have already sent them an e/mail, saying pretty much the same as my post above. The original problem report that led to them sending a second CD was also just an e/mail. Is that enough, or is there someone in particular that I need to write to?

To be honest, I think the oddest thing is that ServerX isn't included on the Homegate CD. Installaton problems aside, it was quite an uphill struggle to firstly realise that it wasn't there and then to track it down to a Schedule Plus demo CD ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Nick

NickLocke, May 22, 2005
  19. NickLocke

ashleigh Moderator

Agree with all of the above. It should not be that difficult. CIS need to do better... and will... can you please email tech support telling them what you found and requesting that:

1. ServerX go onto the HomeGate CD
    2. The installer be sorted out so that it does the correct compatibility checks and installation of required components.

With any luck that will get a formal request / escalation made and it can be fixed.

Tah....

ashleigh, May 22, 2005
  20. NickLocke

Richo

Just a note on this issue. Normally when these issues are identified engineering just fixes it and moves on. However, the Server X product is developed and maintained from Malaysia and is unrelated to the engineering department in Adelaide. All changes etc... are controlled via some other department here of which I don't really know which one.

So basically I'm just trying to say, if you think we are being too difficult (and you haven't suggested we are) it's because the local engineering department really don't know how best to get the problem fixed.

Richo, May 23, 2005
Ask a Question