Server 2008 PAC Drivers

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by xrmichael, Dec 21, 2009.

1. xrmichael

xrmichael

Will there be any PAC drivers for Server 2008 several of our sites are wanting to move from S2003 to S2008, and after some testing all the software we use Homegate, Tollkit and Piced works but the pac drivers wont load, and uploading the PAC via the Cbus network never seems to work %100

We cannot use VMware on the serves as the clients it dept wont permit it.

Michael

xrmichael, Dec 21, 2009
  2. xrmichael

Newman

At some point (I forget exactly which point) Toolkit 1.10.x was updated to include USB drivers that were compatible with Windows 7. With a bit of luck, maybe this driver will work on Server 2008?

Have you tried re-installing Toolkit 1.10.9 and ticking the box during the install process to always/force the USB driver installation?

Newman, Dec 21, 2009
  3. xrmichael

xrmichael

2008 PAC Drivers

Yes and it does not work, any other ideas.

xrmichael, Dec 21, 2009
  4. xrmichael

Newman

Can you explain your use case for needing Server 2008 to talk directly to a PAC? Server 2008 is not an officially supported platform, so if it works at all then it's by good fortune only. If you have a need for Server 2008 to be supported then you need to talk to your sales rep.

I would have thought that on an install where PAC's require their programming to be updated you'd be doing that with a laptop whilst wandering around the site, unless you're physically un-plugging them and bringing them back to the same PC that you're running HomeGate on?

If you're using the PAC for logic functions then there's always the option to move that logic code into a Colour C-Touch / B&W C-Touch with Logic / Wiser and just ignore the PAC all together.

If you're using the PAC's as a PC Interface then there's not a lot of point to that since the logic functionality stops when it's used in that mode. If you just need a C-Bus interface then you can use a serial PCI.

It's a fair point you make about the upload/download over C-Bus to the PAC being flaky. I've never had much success with that either.

Newman, Dec 21, 2009
  5. xrmichael

xrmichael

We support the site remotely the pac is in the clients server/rack room/s and thus connected to their server 2008 now used to be 2003 'No problem with 2003'

We use the logic in the pac for simple stuff and other 3rd party units AMX mainly.

The client makes changes to scenes etc all in the pac and we programme them off site, also changes to other things done via pac code 'HVAC' is one of them.

I hope this makes the case, as they will not put i a dedicated unit just for PICED to sit on. I would have thought it would be do-able.

As for talking to CBUS uk i would be better making the request to my 2 year old son, they are useless, as yet we cannot get sentempb's and they stated a couple of months ago no plans to import them, sorry for the rant but they suck.

xrmichael, Dec 21, 2009
  6. xrmichael

Newman

Until a driver is available that supports Server 2008 you may just have to play the waiting game.

Other options that may get you by in the meantime:

• You can try removing the USB drivers completely and working through the ideas in this thread, particularly the bit about disabling driver signature enforcement.
    • Move the logic into a Wiser or a Colour C-Touch that can be updated remotely over ethernet.
    • Move all of the logic from the PAC into HomeGate.
    • Try an Ethernet USB host rather than connecting the PAC directly to the PC.

Newman, Dec 21, 2009
  7. xrmichael

xrmichael

2008 PAC Drivers

I will try and implement some of the ideas in the thread and report back, if i get it working someone else may be in the same boat.

Thanks for the help.

PS You think 2008 will be supported at some point then ?

xrmichael, Dec 21, 2009
  8. xrmichael

ashleigh Moderator

One thing to clarify - Server 2008 - 32 bit or 64 bit version.

It makes a difference.

It may also be that the driver signing thing is very important for you. As I remember it if the drivers are not signed the install will fail silently (which is a M$ FALE as far as I'm concerned).

ashleigh, Dec 21, 2009
  9. xrmichael

xrmichael

Server 2008

Its the 64 bit version.

xrmichael, Dec 22, 2009
  10. xrmichael

Charlie Crackle

Are Windows 7 64Bit drivers on the list??

My new laptop 6GIG ram has 64 bit preinstalled.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Dec 22, 2009
  11. xrmichael

xrmichael

After a load of messing installing and unistalling, then installing and installing the SiliconLabs drivers i manged to get the PAC working on server 2008 x64

Thanks for all the pointers.

xrmichael, Dec 22, 2009
  12. xrmichael

ashleigh Moderator

Did you need to do the bit about allowing unsigned drivers ?

(This will most like answer Charlie Crackles question)

ashleigh, Dec 22, 2009
  13. xrmichael

xrmichael

No, as this would need to be done every boot, and after a Google search the only way round would have been to sign you driver as a test but that would raised other issues.

In the end i ran the Silicon driver uninstalled and ran the cbus driver, and that seemed to do it.

I hope it holds after a reboot.

xrmichael, Dec 22, 2009
Ask a Question