Serial number L5508DIA ?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fleetz, Aug 2, 2010.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Live in a remote part of FNQ so though I would look out for a spare Dimmer module on ebay....sure enough picked one up. Brand new etc Just received it and it an Aussie made one no problem with that.

Just wondering what the deal is with serial numbers with the Aussie made one? Do they only get read from the unit when it is connected to a system. I have not connected it up no real need at the moment as it just a spare.

I have a barcode reader, there is only one barcode on the outside box unlike the chinese made version now. 9311554336035 it truncates the 5. On the unit next to "C-Bus Connections" a number 84231-344 which doesn't look like a serial number. On the end of the unit stamped next to the model number is 84231 31303 again doesn't seem to be the serial number as 12 digits appear to be the go.

The documentation appears to be circa 2001.

Anyway just wondering what he serial number situation is and also if there is likely to be any issue with integration one into a newer system. There was a "C-Bus Installation Software Service Pack" update application in the packaging....methinks the unit whilst new is old!

I know ebay is buyer beware just wanting would like to know it would integrate seamlessly into a newer system.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 2, 2010
  2. fleetz

Newman

That is a valid serial number for the era that product comes from. It will probably be displayed in Toolkit something like 008442310344.

The printed number on the end of the unit will relate to a production batch number, not the serial number.

If there's nothing wrong with the unit then it will work just fine on your network with all other units.

Newman, Aug 2, 2010
  3. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Newman,

Thanks for the reply.

So the firmware and functionality has not changed in the last 7 or 8 years?

I can see some physical differences, some improvements in cable management seperation of adjacent channels in the recent version. You need to be more careful fitting off loads which one should do anyway so no big issue there.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 2, 2010
  4. fleetz

Newman

If it has the teal-coloured cover then it's a non-Learn-Mode compatible unit, however you mention that the cat# starts with an L so I take it this unit has the purple covers?

There was a minor buxfix release that took the units up to version 1.6.00 not that long ago, but it's all fairly minor stuff and mostly related to Learn Mode, which most people don't seem to use too often.

The enclosure was completely redesigned a while back. It's now white rather than grey and the terminals are green, rather than black. All round it's a definite improvement. The guts required some minor changes, but they were only minor.

The dimmer itself has gone through fairly steady evolution but it's been quite stable for several years now. The old saying "If it 'aint broke..." certainly applies here. Better off investing engineering resources in designing new products. :D

Newman, Aug 2, 2010
  5. fleetz

fleetz

No it is the purple coloured front and has Learn function.

You described the other differences perfectly. Won't be using the Learn mode so sounds like it is OK, I will fire it up tomorrow and intergate the firmware version confirm the serial number.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 2, 2010
Ask a Question