Serial Extended Level Parsing

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by mrgadget, Feb 9, 2011.

1. mrgadget

mrgadget

Hi,

Long-time reader, first time poster.

I've been working with the serial protocol for a while, and have come up against something I just can't figure out. I'm hoping that someone with superior knowledge can tell me!

I'm requesting the status levels and getting back the nibble pairs. Where I'm falling short is being able to mathematically translate these to a group level. In the doco(pg.48), they state that;
    • $5=11
    • $6=10
    • $9=01
    • $A=11
    How!? The document describes this conversion as nibble->binary. The second step from binary to hex isn't an issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Ben :)

mrgadget, Feb 9, 2011
  2. mrgadget

Darren Senior Member

A "5" in the status reply represents a binary value of 11. A "6" represents binary 10 and so on. There is a good reason for this, but it isn't important for understanding how to do the decoding.

So if there is a "56" in the status reply, this is equivalent to binary 1110 or hexadecimal "E".

The example provided shows the rest of the details for decoding a full message.

Darren, Feb 9, 2011
  3. mrgadget

mrgadget

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the response. I understand what you mean, and I've got no problems manually decoding it via the table/method on pg 48 of that doc, the issue I have is doing it programatically without using textual replacements.

Surely there must be a mathematical correlation for this first step? Once the nibble pairs are converted to binary, the hex conversion is easy.

Cheers,
    Ben

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    mrgadget, Feb 9, 2011
  4. mrgadget

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Ben,

The doco actually states (correction in bold):

• $5 => 11
    • $6 => 10
    • $9 => 01
    • $A => 00

I'm sure you probably know already but thought I should mention it just in case someone uses this thread as a reference.

Anyway, essentially you are just excluding the even bits.

$5 => 0101 => 11
    $9 => 1001 => 01

Mathematically, x = ( n & 0x01 ) + ( n & 0x04 >> 1 )

where n is the nibble.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    daniel, Feb 9, 2011
Ask a Question