Sending Text to a DLT with Serial Commands

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by theboyg, Apr 28, 2009.

1. theboyg

theboyg

I've scanned through the Serial docs - I can see there is scope for sending bitmap information to a DLT.

In the future, is there likely to be a published command set so as to send text information to DLTs ? And also, dynamically altering what a button does ?

The killer application here I see is with Comfort, and allowing Comfort to send alarm information, sensor information, and altering the layout depending on the mode (ie Night Mode).

Thanks

theboyg, Apr 28, 2009
  2. theboyg

Darren Senior Member

The C-Bus protocol already contains the details of the message to label a DLT group or action selector.

Labelling a button does not change what it does.

Darren, Apr 29, 2009
  3. theboyg

filpee

does it??

sweet.
    Any chance you can point me in the right direction to find it? I've searched all the public docs but was unable to find the info.:confused:

filpee, Apr 29, 2009
  4. theboyg

ashleigh Moderator

ashleigh, Apr 29, 2009
  5. theboyg

theboyg

Can we also issue commands to program a DLT button for example to a different group that already exists ?

Thnx

theboyg, Apr 30, 2009
  6. theboyg

filpee

That's trying to program it on the fly. Might be better off looking at using logic to change what each button does by monitoring the GA's assigned.

filpee, Apr 30, 2009
  7. theboyg

theboyg

OK, I've re-read the docs - I'm not seeing it.

Humour me if you will given the following scenarios

1. Group Address 12 - labelled 'Alarm' on one of the DLT's. Not connected to any load (virtual group)

Can we send a command to the DLT to say "Away Mode" or "Sec Off" programmatically ? And if so, what would a command structure look like for this ?

2. On a DLT or Saturn, button #1 is mapped to Group 30. Can we programmtically tell that button to be re-assigned to Group 55 ?

Thanks

theboyg, Apr 30, 2009
  8. theboyg

Newman

Regarding labels, the Lighting Application protocol docs section 2.4.2 lists the languages, 2.5 covers the commands, 2.5.2 specifically being the label command, 2.6.5 describes the various command attributes in more detail.

Issuing labelling commands is part of the public protocol information. Re-programming the functionality of units is not.

There are many factors that need to be considered when reprogramming units and it is very easy to wind up in a situation where the unit does not do what is expected. Whilst changing a group address may seem like a trivial operation there are many aspects of a unit's behaviour that can be impacted. Toolkit does all the hard work for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
    Newman, Apr 30, 2009
  9. theboyg

Darren Senior Member

No, you can't do this. What you could do is as follows:
    1. Program the button to use a group address which is not used anywhere else (a "virtual" or "phantom" group)
    2. When the use for that button changes, send a label to the group
    3. Write some logic (in C-Touch, PAC or Wiser) which responds to changes in that group address according to the changing needs.

No, you can't do this. What you could do is as follows:
    1. Program the button to use a group address which is not used anywhere else
    2. When the use for that button changes, send a label to the group
    3. Write some logic (in C-Touch, PAC or Wiser) which maps that group address to group 30 or 55 as required. See the logic TrackGroup procedure in the help file for details on how to do this.

Darren, May 1, 2009
  10. theboyg

filpee

filpee, May 1, 2009
  11. theboyg

ashleigh Moderator

Q&A related to serial protocols has its own dedicate section of the forum (with a big fat 0 posts in it so far).

Here:

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

If picking off protocol documents, I STRONGLY suggest reading them all. There is a lot there, and it is not possible to pick up a good understanding by a quick dip in and picking and choosing. Take time... it will pay off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    ashleigh, May 1, 2009
  12. theboyg

theboyg

I tried that forum before posting here - no access to post.

theboyg, May 1, 2009
  13. theboyg

ashleigh Moderator

Oops. mr admin says it was a permissions problem, and he's supposed to have fixed it.

ashleigh, May 2, 2009
  14. theboyg

brodricj

I've just installed my first DLT and I'm ploughing my way through the training docs on dynamic labelling. I have a few questions:

1. It seems that only a blue LED is available on the Saturn DLT, unlike the Saturn which has blue and amber?
    2. How do I get the LED to blink depending on group address state (like when running a timer on a KIU)?

By way of background my application is for the DLT to display an electric door strike state, whether the door is
    a: "closed and locked" (DLT button LED off, label displaying PUSHTOEXIT), or
    b: "unlocked" (DLT button LED on, label displaying CLEARTOEXIT), or
    c: "closed and unlocked" (DLT button LED blinking, label showing DOORUNSAFE).

The function of the associated button on the DLT is to toggle the relay that sends the release command to the door controller.

The electric door strike signals it's state to CBUS via an AUXINPUT unit through 2 dry contact relays built into the strike, 1 contact senses whether the latch is NO or NC (i.e. whether the barrel in the door is pushing in the latch), and the other contact senses whether the strike is NO or NC (i.e. whether the strike is locked or not). The problem can arise where the door is closed but the strike fails to engage, I want to signal this condition by a flashing LED on the DLT.

So in operation it will work like this:

a: Normal. The door is closed and the strike is locked (as sensed by the AUXINPUT). DLT displays "PUSHTOEXIT" with LED off.

b: Exiting. Push the DLT button and that action toggles a relay which commands the door controller to release the strike for a preset period (30 secs). AUXINPUT senses the strike changing state from NC to NO, triggers DLT to display "CLEARTOEXIT" and steady LED.

c: Door unsafe condition. If after 30 seconds the AUXINPUT senses latch NO (meaning the door is closed) AND the strike is NO means the door strike is unlocked, triggers the DLT to display "DOORUNSAFE" and flashing LED.

Or am I in logic territory here better suited to my C-Touch Colour, and then get CTC to trigger the appropriate responses on the DLT? What's the best way to go here to achieve the function I'm after??

brodricj, May 9, 2009
  15. theboyg

ashleigh Moderator

Correct.
    LEDs only blink when timers are running and they are programmed to be linked to the state+timer. LEDs are no freely assignable resources that just do magic stuff... they function the way they always function when you program with toolkit, nowithstanding the release of the protocol doco.

doing this is likely to be difficult. The blinking LED part is the hard bit. You may be able to use a long running timer.
    I think you will need to use logic. In fact I'm about 99% certain you will need to because you have some intermediate states.

You can exploit a function of the key unit unit (and DLT is the same): A Timer will flash the LEDS but ONLY on the unit where the timer function was initiated. Example. I have 2 keys, each on single key input units. Each controls group 1. I have a single output group somewhere (does not matter where - in fact its not needed, I just list it for completeness). I set up the 2 key units so that when I long-press the button I get a 10 minute off-timer. A short press toggles. Now... Observe... when I short press either button, the load toggles and the LEDs on the 2 KIUs reflect the load state. Next, I turn the group/load on, then LONG press so that I activate the 10 minute off-timer. You will then notice that:
    - on the unit where I pressed the button, the LED is on 90% of the time, and off 10%... this shows that the current state is on and it will go off (If I had set up an ON-time, and the gruop was off, you would see the LED off 90% of the time and on 10%... showing its currently off and will go to on).
    - on the unit where I did not press the button there is no LED flashing, it just shows the state of the load

Timers are shown only on the unit where they run. There are NO bus messages exchanged about timers being started. The only bus messages are those that cause an actual change of group state - which would for example be the operation at the end of a timer when the timeout period has expired.

You may be able to use this - if the condition where the LED is to flash is initiated in the DLT. If its not then you will not be able to make the LED flash at all.

ashleigh, May 9, 2009
  16. theboyg

brodricj

So if I'm to understand this correctly.

1. I need to set up the appropriate logic in the CTC.

2. The DLT can always show the appropriate door state labels depending on what the AUXINPUT senses.

3. The LED on the DLT will never be able to blink because the AUXINPUT is the unit sensing the unsafe state of the door strike (i.e. it's not dependent on anything actioned in the DLT).

4. But I might be able to get the AUXINPUT to get the DLT to trigger a long timer when the logic senses door unsafe???

This is the important bit, because I need an obvious visual warning, i.e. blinking LED, if the door appears to be locked but it isn't (this happens whenever the door is closed whilst the strike is unlocked, the strike can't lock unless the door is open).

FINAL QUESTION: Can I get the CTC to trigger an aural warning when the unsafe door logic is met?

brodricj, May 9, 2009
  17. theboyg

ashleigh Moderator

I don't think you will be able to do Step 4. Can't remotely trigger a timer.

CTC can do an aural warning - it can play sound files. Plenty of posts here about how that's done.

ashleigh, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question