Send CBUS to CNI from NAC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by sjfp, Nov 1, 2018.

1. sjfp

sjfp

Hi, trying to find the best way to send ON OFF commands to a CNI from a NAC.

We have an existing project that has 1 small remote building which has a 4 channel relay and 1 CNI. And I want to be able to switch 2 channels only.

It use be controlled via Schedule Plus, but we are moving everything onto a NAC, but that's in the main building far away from the CNI module.

Any ideas.

sjfp, Nov 1, 2018
  2. sjfp

Ashley

The only way to send ON/OFF commands to a CNI is via the serial protocol which is freely available with examples. Simply define the 4 strings (On and OFF for both ga's), make a TCP connection to the CNI and send the appropriate string.

Ashley, Nov 1, 2018
  3. sjfp

MJS

Hi Ashley,
    I am also looking for this functionality, but not via the serial protocol.
    In December 2017, I was given a roadmap of development, which indicated that C-Bus over IP functionality would have been available by August 2018. I understand that a roadmap is not exact, but an updated timeline would be appreciated. View attachment 2375

MJS, Dec 4, 2018
  4. sjfp

Ashley

Can't help you there (I don't work for Clipsal/Schneider), but seeing that the Dec/Jan updates didn't come out until September, and we haven't seen the April ones yet it's not going to happen in the near future. Happy to be proven wrong though :)

Ashley, Dec 4, 2018
  5. sjfp

NickD Moderator

I'm afraid I can't go into the roadmap... and was also asked to remove it since it could only have come from material that was either commercial in confidence or shared under NDA.

@MJS.. if you can elaborate on what you need to achieve we may be able to propose an alternative in the meantime.

Nick

NickD, Dec 5, 2018
  6. sjfp

MJS

Hi Nick,
    I have older (2 years+) sites where networks are connected via CNI's to S+. In order to connect these to SBO we installed C-Bus OPC and made points available via a BACnet OPC client. This worked successfully, but is not as robust as I would like.
    On newer sites we install NAC's instead of CNI's from the start and make the points available per network.

I would like to change the existing (older) sites, by replacing one CNI with a NAC and expose all the points from all networks to SBO through this one device.

MJS, Dec 5, 2018
  7. sjfp

NickD Moderator

Hi MJS,

That sounds reasonable.. but I don't quite follow which part of that requires the C-Bus over IP?

Is it a limitation in the number of objects you want to connect?

Nick

NickD, Dec 6, 2018
Ask a Question