Second Network Suggestion

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by abg, May 15, 2008.

1. abg

abg

I have a (proposed) setup with the following:

1 PAC
    1 CNI
    1 B&W Touch
    Homegate on touchscreens
    1 (Externally mounted) Light Sensor
    38 Reflection Switches
    22 Multi-sensors
    2 PIR Surface Mount sensors
    9 Infra-scan
    30 Blind/Shutter Relays
    13 x 4 Channel Universal Dimmers
    10 x 12 Channel Relays

This puts me at around 2028mA so second network is required. I'd appreciate suggestions on what should be moved onto the second network.

I would prefer to put all the multi-sensors on their own network (this seems clean) but does this mean that if a light is triggered (say in a pantry) by the sensor that the reflection light switch in the pantry won't show as on (I seem to recall something about this happening across networks)? Many of the multi-sensors are used for IR as well as movement.

I'd also prefer the second network to be running on a CNI as well rather than using a bridge so I can access the network via the LAN with Toolkit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
    abg, May 15, 2008
  2. abg

Richo

You are better off partitioning based on physical location, power balancing, and operational design (e.g. key and load on same network).

Not bridging the networks is a mistake as they won't be able to talk to each other and you will loose a lot of possible functionality of the system as a whole. If you use a bridge then you can still access that second network from the CNI via the bridge.

Richo, May 15, 2008
  3. abg

Newman

If you have a bridge between the two networks, and you tick the option to "send to adjacent network" on the Connection tab of the UI, then messages on one side of the bridge will be automatically send to the other network.

Note that you need to do this on both sides of the bridge. This will make your two networks effectively behave as one big network for lighitng commands.

If you want to connect the two networks together using CNIs instead of a bridge then you'll have to write some software to do that. You'll also be creating a dependency on having a PC running somewhere to make the two networks talk to each other. Neither of which are ideal.

Newman, May 15, 2008
  4. abg

abg

Thanks for the feedback. I'll defintely use a bridge to join the two networks. I'd mistakenly thought a CNI could be used as a (more flexible) pseudo-bridge.

abg, May 15, 2008
  5. abg

znelbok

wish it could!!!

znelbok, May 15, 2008
Ask a Question