screensaver

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by justinw, May 7, 2006.

1. justinw

justinw

Hello everyone.
    On a couple of my jobs people have been playing around with the B&W touch screen and now they have a clipsal splash screen that says touch here to continue. I for the life of me can not get this annoying page to go away.
    It is aproblem with IR buttons on the default page as they now no longer work unless you touch the screen first to bring it back to the default page.
    Please tell me how to get rid of it and how the user got it in the first place.
    the help and faqs seem to make no mention of it.
    thanks justinw:)

justinw, May 7, 2006
  2. justinw

Darren Senior Member

What you are seeing is the default "dark time-out page". This is the time out page shown when the light level is below the threshold you have set. If you want to see your own page under these circumstances :
    1. Create your own page (generally with no buttons on it, as someone will be touching it in the dark)
    2. Select the page in the Project Details wizard.

Darren, May 8, 2006
  3. justinw

justinw

further to darrens reply

darren there must be away to prevent that screen turning up at all and just staying on the default page.
    I only have 2 jobs so far that have done it both of which happened when someone decided to have a play and whan i returned the screen was present.
    please is there away from coming on at all.
    cheers justin

justinw, May 15, 2006
  4. justinw

JohnC

To "disable" the Dark Timeout Page ... In PICED, go to File > Project Details

Click "Next" 5 times thru the wizard thingy, to get to the OPTIONS page

Check the Timeout Details and Startup Details - you can see what pages are used for each. The "Default" under Dark Timeout is the Clipsal Splash Screen.

Change the Dark Timeout Page to be the one you want displayed under "Low Light" conditions. You could make your own "Installed By XXX - Touch Me Here" kind of page. If you don't want a Dark Page at all, then set it to your normal Start Up page.

HOWEVER... I am pretty sure that there is a big disdvantage with doing this... I haven't got a B&W Touch here to check, but I seem to remember that the backlight is NOT constantly illuminated, even in the dark. Apart from durability of the "lamps" inside it, it may not be desireable to have it illuminated continuously for other reasons (eg: annoying) - so the Backlight's normally set to stay on for a while then "Timeout" and turn off.

In PICED, go to Help > Index and type "Backlight". Specifically, read the subjects "Backlight Control" and "Time-Out"

I may have this wrong - someone else please confirm :

So, if it's dark in the room and the project has "Timed Out" (ie: no screen action for whatever period you have set in the Project Timeout, the Backlight turns off and there is nothing to illuminate the screen - Therefore, you can't see the buttons! The idea of the Dark Timeout Page is that it deliberately doesn't do anything at all, except switch on the Backlight, then it flips across to your normal startup page.

If you don't have a special Dark Timeout Page , then you still have to touch the screen to make the backlight turn on - and in the process you will activate whatever (unseen) button is under your finger at the time... This will annoy the client far more than having the Dark Timeout Page appear !

The proper solution is to set the Threshhold correctly for the Dark Timeout Page. It should be set in "real time" (late afternoon) to the level where it is getting hard to read the screen. That way, when it gets dark you won't need to use a Torch to work out a place to touch the screen to activate it. If the threshold is set wrong or changed, then the Dark Timeout Page gets activated too early or too late. That is what has happened on your 2 projects.

The Touchscreen User Manual covers the Threshold setting - see page 14 of http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/__data/page/428/Monochrome Touch Screen Users Guide2.pdf

Hope that makes sense, John

PS: Tell you clients not to fiddle around with the settings in the Touchscreen - and inform them that there is a service charge if you have to come and fix it after they stuff it up.

If you don't want the User to play with it, create your own custom "Options" page, and don't include a link to the "Backlight Set Page" menu. But it would be just as easy to tell the client to RTFM :)

JohnC, May 15, 2006
  5. justinw

justinw

just wondering

Cheers john
    Could you edit the existing clipsal splash screen and put on it the remote control switches(invisible) i know it would just be as easy to configure your own time out page but just wondering.
    cheers justin:)

justinw, May 16, 2006
  6. justinw

JohnC

I don't think there is a way to get a "copy of" the default C-Bus screen... you can capture any screens made by yourself, but the inbuilt ones don't appear to be capture-able" in PICED

Only solution I could see is to take a digital photo of it, or something like that...

I'd make a new one - although please note that it doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to say "Press here"... nobody will ever see it anyway, because it only shows in the dark (when it's invisible)

JohnC, May 18, 2006
  7. justinw

Darren Senior Member

Any of the C-Touch screens can be captured as follows :
    1. Connect to C-Touch (select Transfer | Connect to Unit)
    2. Upload the display (Select Transfer | Transfer C-Touch Display)
    3. Save the display (select Tools | Reports | Save Save Screen)
    4. Return to normal usage (select Transfer | Show C-Touch Display)

Darren, May 22, 2006
Ask a Question