Schneider announcement new range?

Discussion in 'Standard Products' started by 71monaro, Sep 21, 2016.

1. 71monaro

71monaro

any idea what they are going to release?

71monaro, Sep 21, 2016
  2. 71monaro

NickD Moderator

Yes.

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you. :p

Nick

NickD, Sep 22, 2016
  3. 71monaro

znelbok

You tell him here and then kill him - I wont feel a thing......

Seriously though what has been said so far to indicate that there is an announcement going to be made. Is it C-Bus related (I doubt it). Just another competitor to C-Bus? That will drive another nail into the coffin of C-Bus.

znelbok, Sep 23, 2016
  4. 71monaro

Roosta

Lots of tight lips..

I expect to be disappointed..

https://www.clipsal.com/gamechanger

And all over facebook with various ad's..
    'Some sparkies reckon its the biggest innnovation since the meat pie'..
    'Some sparkies reckon its the biggest innovation since the stubby'..

I really hope the hype they are trying to build is justified...

I havet heard much about their plans for their environexus purchase that happened earlier this year..
    http://www.connectedhome.com.au/environexus-to-be-distributed-exclusively-by-schneider-electric/

Cheers..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
    Roosta, Sep 29, 2016
  5. 71monaro

Roosta

Well what a build up.. All for this... Unfortunately It doesnt rub me the right way..

Www.Clipsal.com/iconic

Roosta, Oct 5, 2016
  6. 71monaro

DarylMc

Thanks for the info Roosta

DarylMc, Oct 5, 2016
  7. 71monaro

znelbok

None of this appears useful to C-Bus at all.

All I want is some simple way of getting control over an outlet without the need to buy an expensive wireless C-bus gateway and plug in module.

I saw something about connectivity and a mention of the wiser app but nothing that is related to C-Bus.

Very disappointing.

znelbok, Oct 5, 2016
  8. 71monaro

jboer

mmm back to my meat pie....

jboer, Oct 6, 2016
  9. 71monaro

NickD Moderator

I can understand that perhaps you guys got your hopes up, and unfortunately for those of us who knew, we were strictly forbidden from commenting (in ANY public forum) so there was not much we could do but wait.

Whilst the new Iconic range may not be something that is immediately relevant to C-Bus, is represents a massive investment for Schneider Electric in the Clipsal brand in Australia.

The connectivity side of things in the Iconic range is aiming very much at the electrical contractor and not a systems integrator... it's Standalone Electronics with simple connectivity for configuration and basic remote control.

There are Bluetooth Low Energy devices such as timers and time clocks that offer simple remote control, as well as a convenient way for the end user to add or edit timers or schedules.

There is also the smart "ControlLink" which is like a communication bus for a single SAE circuit over standard 240V wiring.

The most immediate impact for for C-Bus is the new plate range, which, whilst only a "medium" (a la C2000/SC2000) range of skins at the moment, provides a platform for future aesthetics.

In the past, it has usually been C-Bus that leads the way in the new aesthetics... we did Saturn and the Wiring Devices had to play catch up.. we did Zen and the Wiring Devices followed suit (although in that case they actually got there first... let's not talk about that).

In this case, the Wiring Devices guys have pulled off a MASSIVE project to bring in a complete new range of switches, sockets, plates, network connectivity and accessories, and the good thing for C-Bus is that this will force some investment in new C-Bus devices to match.

Nick

NickD, Oct 6, 2016
  10. 71monaro

znelbok

As long as those devices are not more switches - there are enough of them already.

I want to see more control options - like an LED controller and axillary devices. We have a list in two separate threads of what everyone wants (and fix the existing problems that exist).

Price needs to come down so market penetration can increase as well. IoT is a buzzword now and C-Bus fits nicely into that thinking ("smart <put your systrem name here>")

znelbok, Oct 6, 2016
  11. 71monaro

MichaelD

Oh dear, its described as a gamechanger.

Is it just me, or is everything that gets described as a gamechanger ultimately just a disappointment that won't change anything much?

The word is up there with 'future proof', which generally means its going to be outdated in 12 months time. I first saw 'future proof' used to describe the 286-based PC back in 1984, wonder how many people are still using their 32 year old PC, and delighted that they chose something future proof?

MichaelD, Oct 11, 2016
  12. 71monaro

DarylMc

I think it is worth noting that this thread was correctly posted in Standard Products.

"Discussion of non C-Bus products. Normal dimmers, smoke detectors, switch multipliers, fan controls etc..."

The Iconic range will be an interesting option to consider for use with conventional wiring.

DarylMc, Oct 11, 2016
Ask a Question