Schedule Plus on Windows 10

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Mr Mark, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Mr Mark

Mr Mark

Here's one for the Windows 10 users...

Today, we had to replace a PC that has been running S+ for years - the initial install went as easy as expected, all good so far. For piece of mind, we have always edited the BIOS to allow the PC to restart when power is restored and set S+ to auto start on boot. Windows 10 isn't accepting/acting upon the command line parameters (we normally use /cgate and /operate). At best, S+ starts in program mode and not connected to C-Gate.

From the manual:
    "C:\Clipsal\Schedule Plus.exe" "C:\Clipsal\Schedule Plus\Projects\MyHouse.ctd"
    will load the file MyHouse.ctd at start-up

"C:\Clipsal\Schedule Plus.exe" "C:\Clipsal\Schedule Plus\Projects\MyHouse.ctd" /cgate /log=save
    will load the file MyHouse.ctd at start-up and connect via C-Gate, with logging enabled.

Any hints on getting around this?

BTW: have tried a batch file and scripting proven to work on other jobs, used mainly for a delayed start. All options produce the same result - program mode and not connected, leading me to think this is a Windows challenge. I've also had a look at permissions and all appears ok there as well.

Mark

Mr Mark, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Mr Mark

DarylMc

Hi Mark
    I haven't had a go at this on Windows 10 yet but for Windows 7 I used task scheduler to get it all running.
    Task scheduler allows you to start programs with administrator privileges.
    Task scheduler also has delayed startup options and I think I used it to make sure things had time to start up in the correct order.

The PC should have a password so I use "control userpasswords2" from the run command to allow it to log in.
    I used login as the trigger in Task scheduler.

On a headless PC you might want to change the default firewall settings for remote desktop to allow it to connect via public networks.
    That is a bit of an issue when you have to replace a router.
    It will probably take a little playing around but I think if you have CGate running as a service and leave say a minute delay before Schedule plus starts will be a good start.
    I did not have CGate running as a service and that option is probably still available.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    DarylMc, Nov 26, 2015
  3. Mr Mark

Mr Mark

Hello Daryl.

Yep, everything you have posted is what we have done in the past.
    Using the task scheduler, startup folder and a previous script we wrote will start Schedule Plus in programming mode and not connecting. I've got another option that I'll try over the weekend and will let you know how that goes. :)

Mark

Mr Mark, Dec 3, 2015
  4. Mr Mark

DarylMc

Hi Mark
    Homegate is what I use but I think it will be the same.
    I was just thinking I might have a go at it too but I don't have a dongle here.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is problems launching in demo mode.

I've set up a desktop with Windows 10 and use a Microsoft account to log in.
    I don't think I really have my head around how the user accounts work.
    eg the user folder name on the PC is not the same name as my login.
    That might be something to keep in mind when trying to launch programs as an administrator.

Did you put the arguments in the script or in the argument box?
    I remember struggling there previously.
    Maybe even the "starts in" is needed.
    It's been a while and I don't have access to the PC to check.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015
    DarylMc, Dec 4, 2015
  5. Mr Mark

abg

HomeGate auto-start in Windows 10

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has had any success with this. I am trying to auto-start HomeGate in Windows 10 with no luck. Apps like Sonos are fine even in the startup directory.

Thanks in advance....

abg, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Mr Mark

DarylMc

Because Homegate runs with administrator privileges I think task scheduler is the best way to get it going at start up.
    I tried a bit on my Windows 10 desktop today with limited success and it looks like it will work when I figure out the right paths and arguments.
    I don't have a dongle handy right now but I will try to get hold of one and post some more info.

DarylMc, Jan 4, 2016
  7. Mr Mark

ashleigh Moderator

When you want to run something as administrator on Windows Vista OR LATER (ie 7, 8, 8.1 and 10) the ONLY way to do this is to use the task scheduler.

If there is sufficient demand I'll give a step by step tutorial.

I'm sure most of you can figure it out.

ashleigh, Jan 5, 2016
  8. Mr Mark

Mr Mark

Thanks for the tips.
    I haven't had a chance to re-revisit this yet as I'm on holidays and don't have access to a Windows 10 PC (kind of staying away from all this while having a break:) )

Mr Mark, Jan 6, 2016
  9. Mr Mark

abg

Yep - thanks for the advice. All working via Task Scheduler.

abg, Jan 8, 2016
  10. Mr Mark

DarylMc

Hi Ashleigh
    If you could post a tutorial would be good.
    I have the dongle now but I'm still struggling with it.

DarylMc, Jan 14, 2016
  11. Mr Mark

DarylMc

Got it working now.
    I was entering the script into Task Scheduler incorrectly.
    This is working nicely.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    DarylMc, Jan 15, 2016
  12. Mr Mark

DarylMc

I just tried out a remote USB software product for use with my Homegate dongle.
    The dongle is plugged into my QNAP NAS but the server software claims to have support for many devices and operating systems.
    Paid software but it has a free trial for 10 days.
    I am using the trial.

My Windows 10 machine with Homegate runs the client program.
    Windows didn't seem to like the certificate of the download but I installed it anyway (fingers crossed).
    I set the client to launch with task scheduler and it all seems to be working nicely at least for the last 8 hours:)
    Several restarts too.

It might be worth a try for anyone wanting to run Homegate on a Windows tablet device without the dongle attached.
    The software costs around $50 so if anyone has any experience with it, general opinions or other methods to do the same thing please let me know.

http://www.virtualhere.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
    DarylMc, Jan 17, 2016
  13. Mr Mark

DarylMc

I am a few days into the trial and every morning at 4.00am on the hourly Homegate licence check I am losing connectivity to the dongle.
    It may be something simple but it's not looking quite so nice anymore.
    Perhaps it is a trial limitation so it looks like I need to contact their support before putting it out there as something useful.
    Edit
    I contacted support and it seems that my QNAP is closing the connection for some reason.
    It's happening right around the time Homegate does its hourly licence check.
    Some time in the future I will update the firmware and have another go at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
    DarylMc, Jan 22, 2016
  14. Mr Mark

jboer

Hey Daryl,

We have been using a Silex USB server LINK for a few months now with no issues at all for the VM (in a corporate VM environment) running Win 7 SP+. Very easy to use and seems very stable.

We had tried a previous one that seem to be very popular but had similar dropout issues to yourself.

I know you were looking at a software solution, but as a standalone USB server I can recommend that one.

jboer, Jan 23, 2016
  15. Mr Mark

DarylMc

Hi jboer

Thanks for the info.
    A stand alone device may well be simpler.

The software seems fairly solid and I think the QNAP NAS is doing something at that time which closes the connection.

DarylMc, Jan 24, 2016
  16. Mr Mark

ashleigh Moderator

Tutorial

How to start HomeGate or S+ from the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 task scheduler.

Only do this if you must run HomeGate or S+ as administrator. If running as a normal user is OK then just start it from the normal startup group.

Steps:

0. The most important step of all: make sure you are logged on with a user account that is an administrator.

1. Find the "Computer" icon (depending on OS this could be in many places).

2. Right click "Computer" or "My Computer" and select Manage.

3. In the Computer Management window that appears you will see "System Tools" & "Storage"; under each of those there is some broken out further detail.

4. Under System Tools, locate "Task Scheduler". Expand by clicking alongside "Task Scheduler", you should see "Task Scheduler Library". Click that to select it.

5. To the right you will see the uncategorised list of things in the task scheduler library (there are lots of others that are in further sub categories but we don't care about those).

6. On the very right, click "Create Task". The Create Task window should appear, and information needs to be entered for each tab.

7. GENERAL TAB.

7a. Enter the name as "Start HomeGate" or "Start SchedulePlus" as appropriate.

7b. Enter a description if you want to.

7c. Don't change the logon user account to be used.

7d. Select "Run only when user is logged on"

7e. Check "Run with highest privileges" <- This one is important if the program is to run as an administrator.

7f. Make sure "Hidden" is NOT CHECKED.

7g. Set "Configure for" as "Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008".

8. TRIGGERS TAB.

8a. Triggers should be empty because you are making a new task.

8b. Click "New..." to make a new trigger.

8c. On the New Trigger window that appears, change "Begin the task" to "At log on"

8d. Change the settings for the user to "Specific User" and make sure this is the user name you logged in with (it should be, just confirm).

8e. Under Advanced settings, make sure everything is UNCHECKED apart from "Enabled", which should be checked.

8f. Click OK to save the new trigger.

9. ACTIONS TAB. (This is where you set up what will happen).

9a. Click "New..." to create a new action.

9b. In the New Action window, select the action as "Start a program".

9c. In "Program/script" make sure you enter the FULL PATH to your executable (HomeGate or S+); use the browse button and naviagate to make sure you have no typos.

9d. If you want the program to take parameters (as it would have when auto-starting a project", enter those in the "Add Arguments" box. You have no choice here but to type them in.

EXAMPLE: "C:\Clipsal\Schedule Plus\Projects\MyHouse.ctd" /cgate /log=save

NOTICE in the above that there are double quotes present. Make sure those are there! [In general terms, paths that include spaces need the double quotes wrapped around. However, any path can have double quotes around it and doing it this makes it foolproof.]

9e. After entry of the program to run and the arguments, Click OK to save the new Actions.

10. CONDITIONS TAB.

10a. Normally there will be nothing on the conditions tab that needs to be changed. BUT you may want to uncheck the two options under "Power" - depending on the PC being used.

11. SETTINGS TAB.

11a. Ensure that "Allow task to be run on demand" is checked.

11b. Ensure ALL OTHER options are unchecked.

11c. For the option "If the task is already running, then then following rule applies", make sure this is set to "Do not start a new instance".

12. Click OK. This will save the new task.

13. Log out.

14. Log back in again as the same (administrator) user.

** AT THIS POINT THE PROGRAM YOU SET UP SHOULD RUN **

------------------------

Next: Auto-logon.

If you want to make a PC auto-logon as a particular user, after it is powered up, then:

1. Open an administrator command prompt (find the common prompt icon through your start menu or whatever level of hell you descended to in Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10, right click and select "Run as administrator".

2. In the command prompt type:

control userpasswords2

3. In the new window that appears, UNCHECK the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

4. Click OK. A new window will appear with title "Automatically log on".

5. In this new window, enter the username and password that is to be used to auto log on. Then click OK.

6. Close the command prompt window.

7. Test: Reboot the PC from the start menu / button / blob / charms / whatever todays hell is. It should auto log on and if you set up in the previous steps to auto-run a program, then that should be run also.

---------------------------

HOW TO MAKE Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 more useable.

Download and install the free program "Classic Shell". Google it.

This will give yo a sensible start button, with various styling options, etc. It hides all the madness of Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 with the new modern looking apps that you general don't care about at all when running something like Schedule Plus.

ashleigh, Jul 29, 2016
Ask a Question