Schedule Feature in PICED

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Josh, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Josh

Josh

What are chances that in Piced/Schedules/Schedule Type and Time, the CIS team could add another option to select a random start time, (e.g any time between 21H00 and 22H00) and the software could take care of the rest.
    It would be nice, but not critical of you could also randomize the schedule end time.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

• cbus.jpg
      cbus.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    Josh, Mar 9, 2006
  2. Josh

JohnC

Assuming I am understanding it properly, the problem I see is that PICED is just a programming tool, it doesn't actually "run the schedules".

So, a random Start Time in PICED would only assign a (fixed) random time. Then after downloading to the device (PAC or T/screen), that schedule would run at exactly the same time every day.

To do "randomness of events", it has to be done at the actual "control device". So, the device is told to every day make the schedule (event) happen at a different time. The B&W Touch can't do that, but both Colour Touch and PAC can do random events by using the Logic Engine.

There are a couple of threads in the forum about it already (search for "random").

What WOULD be cool would be a "random wizard" thingy added to the screen you mentioned. By setting a few parameters in there, then all the Logic Code gets automatically created ready for use. Coz the Logic scares all us casual users...

Mind you, I haven't even LOOKED at the Logic Engine or examples in PICED, so there actually may be exactly that thing already available. I'll let someone else take over at this point... :eek:

Cheers, John

JohnC, Mar 9, 2006
  3. Josh

Darren Senior Member

Random schedule times are on the list of things to do. Currently they can be done with logic reasonably easily. See the Logic Help File, FAQ section, Random Event Times topic.

Personally, I am not convinced of the benefit of random schedule times. The usual argument is that having lights go on and off at random times makes it look like there is someone at home. I find it hard to imagine that a burglar is going to observe a house for several days noting the exact times lights go on and off to see whether there is a pattern. I believe that having a few fixed schedules at odd times, such as 8:23:13 and 9:03:19 rather than 8:00:00 and 9:00:00 is probably more than adequate.

I welcome any contrary opinions though... :)

Darren, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Josh

Nathan

Can you add delay to the list too.

Nathan, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Josh

Darren Senior Member

Can you elaborate ? I am not sure what you are talking about.

Darren, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Josh

lewko

Hard to believe in many cases of casual robbery yes. However, in commercial applications, or sensitive sites (including high wealth homes who might install C-Bus) I can certainly see the usefulness. Such sites do get 'cased' by professional thieves.

Remember, routine events are the bane of security. If a would-be intruder knows the lights go out nightly at xx:xx this could be a problem.

Randomness could also have other security applications. For example, activation of a PIR might cause outdoor lights to come on, as well as 'random' other lights a few seconds later, prompting bad-guy to suspect someone's at home.

lewko, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Josh

ashleigh Moderator

Agreed - don't write off randomness.

Casing the joint is something I believe to be pretty common, except among the opportunistic kiddies.

Certainly no harm in having it. Why do you think 7 day timers are selling?

ashleigh, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Josh

Phil.H

I live in a Cul De Sac with neighbours at the entry who watch everything.
    I have the random light thingy working at my place via a PAC and security system and have even tricked the neighbours over a week period.

A random operation over wrong time periods or around rooms that are not normally in use at specific times is no good. A well thought out and sensible random arrangment is a good thing.

Hell I even tricked myself early on in the piece. Drove home one night soon after taking the leash of the PAC and thought I had unwelcome visitors (dumb ones who turned the lounge lights on). I put the baseball bat away when the penny dropped. :D

Phil.H, Mar 10, 2006
Ask a Question