Scene Dimming with standard switches

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by cmlp, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cmlp

cmlp

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how to setup a standard switch (ie. C503x type) as a dimmer for a scene group. My research on these forums (this fora?) indicates this is probably not possible. Note, I have a PAC.

I have found that using PICED that I can setup an onscreen button, and select a Scene Group, and set the function to Dimmer. This lets me control three distinct GA simultaneously, such that holding down the onscreen button (with mouse etc) the three groups are dimmable (up and down etc), as well as toggleable (is that word?) like a single non-scened GA. The scene has been established on the Lighting Applications so I can see it from the standard switches.

However, in the Toolkit setup dialogs for the standard switches, I can only select the trigger GA, not the scene itself, and therefore I can't directly control the three GAs together. What I have now setup is three scenes triggered by OFF, 50% and ON levels of the trigger GA (selected by toggle on short release and RECALL 1 on long release). I suspect this is the maximum amount of control I can expect from the standard switch series.

If that's true, which of the switch series (Saturn, etc), would let me setup a button that is equivalent to the behaviour I can establish with the PICED interface?

I've an inkling that by writing a program in the PAC I can have the three target GAs match their level to the trigger GA while it is ramped, but that is a bit beyond me at the moment.

Hope that makes sense ;-) I'm still learning!!

Cheers,
    Chris.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
    cmlp, Jul 9, 2008
  2. cmlp

NickD Moderator

I'm not sure if it's exactly equivalent to the PICED behaviour, but any DLT, and any Neo/Saturn with firmware 1.6.00 or later supports a "Scene Modify" key function.

This can be set as a toggle, dim up, dim down etc, and applies to the last scene set by that unit. You can't use it to *set* the scene, but you can use it to adjust the scene once it's set.

Nick

NickD, Jul 9, 2008
  3. cmlp

cmlp

Ok, I have seen reference to that function but I wasn't really sure what it did. It sounds less like it is less useful than a PICED (etc) software button. I'm surprised that's the case but may have to live with it.

Any comment about the idea to use the PAC to have three GAs track another, and what the response time I could expect using that method?

Cheers,
    Chris.

cmlp, Jul 9, 2008
Ask a Question