Saturn Switches

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ado_civon, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ado_civon

ado_civon

Is it normal that the Saturn switches feel a little flimsy on the button presses?

the chrome circle is loose on some buttons and pressing the left switch causes the right to lift up which looks odd.

might be just me. Also sometimes there's an odd button especially on the 6 gang saturn switch (bottom ones) that get stuck behind the chrome ring and when pressed feel very un-natural.

ado_civon, Nov 26, 2009
  2. ado_civon

2SC

You have tighten the screws too much. If the switch is bended at any way (happens when the wall is not totally flat and you have tighten too much the screws) problems like these may occur.

2SC, Nov 26, 2009
  3. ado_civon

Newman

If buttons are jamming then it is almost certainly to do with either over-tightened screws or a mounting surface that is not completely flat.

Regarding the chrome rings, there is tolerance on the thickness of the glass, the thickness of the white paint and also on the chrome plating of the bezel. The fit is slightly on the loose side to ensure that the white paint on the back of the glass does not scratch off with the retaining clips.

It is normal to see a slight movement of one button when the other is pressed, but it is very minor. The two buttons are attached centrally inside the switch, as a pair. The fit of the dual button rocker into the switch is a press fit. If you feel that the movement between the two buttons is excessive it may be that the rocker has become loose on the grid plate and it just needs a good press in the centre to make it snug again.

I'd be interested to know the manufacture date of the switch in question. The design has been revised several times during it's life and current production Saturns are stronger than the early ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2009
    Newman, Nov 26, 2009
  4. ado_civon

industeq

Being that the Saturn is glass and has zero tolerance for flexibility here are a few tricks and suggestions.
    When tightening the 2 screw move the switch back & forth slightly then when snug STOP.
    Then what I do is use the glass face plate of the Saturn as a straight edge and lay the glass at a 90 degree on the outside edge (Vertically)on the side of the plastic to see if to the warped.
    Since the glass is perfectly square it will show if the plastic mounting pad is crooked / bowed or not. If it is the glass will not snap in correctly.
    You can wiggle and force it on but besides it making the buttons stick you may break the glass but the worst part is it is hard to snap back off when in a bind.

What I do if the plate is skewed is first add a small washer as a shim between the plate & wall on the side that is bowed.
    If this does not work, use a utility knife and carefully trace around the black bezel and then completely remove.
    Then remove some of the paint, sheetrock on the high side.
    It takes a bit of time but if done correct the buttons work great without sticking.

The DLT switches have the same scenario also.

Regards
    Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc

industeq, Nov 27, 2009
  5. ado_civon

ado_civon

Wow, thanks for the detailed replies

I think it's too tight screws :) my bad most probably.

I will try to adjust the tightness and see how i go, it makes complete sense.

The Saturn Switches have been purchased no longer than a month ago from CNW so I'm sure they won't be an old batch or anything if they have been revised.

Thanks again.

ado_civon, Dec 1, 2009
Ask a Question