Saturn not being fully recognised

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gordo, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Gordo

Gordo

Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before?

Here's the situation:

15 year old system with quite a few Saturn switches, (I'm in the UK, not sure of the name translates across, they're the glass fronted switches) and a few E2000s plus obvious dimmers, relays and serial interface, plus 1 hardware burden. There's 3 clocks running on 3 separate dimmers

I'm running and old windows machine running latest download of toolkit and am able to connect to the network and scan it. However the scan recognises the Saturn switches but when it goes to down load the program from these switches it fails, stating 'unit not responding' it gets to 30% and bails out.
    The only other unit it does this on is
    4 x 5amp pro dimmer.
    Have you seen this before? The E2000s are on the same network and are able to be interrogated just fine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Gordo, Feb 5, 2020
  2. Gordo

Ashley

First thing to check is the bus voltage. Power supplies can start to fail at this age and will produce these symptoms. You should be getting at least 20V for stable operation. If you have a spare power supply and have not reached the 2A limit, just connect it up and see if the situation improves. A flaky power supply can, on occasions, also put noise on the bus which will affect comms even if the voltage appears ok.

The other possibility is a wiring issue. Connections can loosen after a number of years, particularly if they weren't tightened fully in the first place.

Certain devices (like Saturn switches) are more susceptible to these problems as their configuration data is much larger to download than simpler devices .

Ashley, Feb 5, 2020
  3. Gordo

Gordo

Thanks Ashleigh I will look into both possibilities and report back with all findings.

Cheers Steve

Gordo, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Gordo

Gordo

I've just rigged up a test bench with a Saturn unit direct from the installation in question and was able to read it first time, so currently confident that the issue is likely to be a network specific issue. Gonna head down the power route first and see where we get to. Will get you updated

Gordo, Feb 8, 2020
Ask a Question