Saturn key delay before next key press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DJK, Aug 17, 2012.

1. DJK

DJK

Is there a way to set a Saturn key press (on/off) such that once the key is pressed, it's disabled for 2 seconds. So a user has to wait 2 seconds between turning something on and off.

Thank you from North Carolina, USA!

DJK, Aug 17, 2012
  2. DJK

NickD Moderator

No, however in the DIN relay units there is a restrike delay which gives this behaviour.

What are you trying to achieve/control?

Nick

NickD, Aug 17, 2012
  3. DJK

DJK

NickD,

Thanks for the reply.

I have pool lights that have changable color. My wife has a habit of turning off the light, realizing that she accidently turned it off, and then quickly turns it back on. This changes the pool light color. I'd like to have a "lock out" period for 2 seconds before the light can be turned back on.

I see the restrike delay on the relay DIN, but these lights are on a dimmer DIN. Any way to do it on a dimmer DIN?

I've got this connected to the Elk, so I may be able to do it through that as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    DJK, Aug 19, 2012
  4. DJK

Don

If you configure the Saturn to use two buttons to control the pool lights:

button 1 = On
    button 2 = Off,

On button configuration:
    short/Just pressed = Onkey
    short release = long press = long release = idle

Then you could set up the Off button as a timer:
    short/Just pressed = retrig
    short release = long press = long release = idle

The Timer interval could be set to 2 seconds, and the timer expiry could be Offkey or Rampoff.

This way, you press one button to turn the lights on. Repeated presses of this button will have no effect. If you press the Off button, nothing will happen for 2 seconds. If you press the ON button before the two seconds, the pool lights will just stay on.

I haven't tested this but it should be pretty easy to configure.

Don, Aug 20, 2012
  5. DJK

brodricj

I have a similar application where locking out the function of the key for a set period would be useful. I have a projection screen being controlled by a c/o relay. Once I press the key for the screen to come down I want to lock out any further function of that key for, say, 30 seconds, to allow the screen to come all the way down. Changing direction of the screen whilst in motion puts it at risk of damage due to no interlock/delay when using just a single c/o channel. The re-strike feature does not solve this problem because the restrike delay in the c/o only kicks in after the 2nd press of the key.

I am aware of the application note about using 2 relay channels for shutter control (prior to the shutter relay being available), however if you could lock out a 2nd press of a key for a pre-set time via software would be a useful feature.

brodricj, Aug 20, 2012
  6. DJK

2SC

Dear DJK,
    if you have a touch screen or wiser in your system and you don't mind to disable the whole switch for 2 seconds every time "Pool lights" goes off, here is the solution:

1. Create a group address for disabling all keys in the Global Tab of your switch http://prntscr.com/e3m9k
    2. The button will not control the group "Pool Lights" - it will control 2 scenes like described here http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7344&highlight=scenes+button

3. the first scene will turn on your "Pool lights" - the second scene will turn off your "Pool lights" and additionaly will pulse ON the group "Disable this switch please" for 2 seconds

The disadvantage is that the whole switch is disabled for 2 seconds every time "Pool lights" goes off.

2SC, Aug 20, 2012
  7. DJK

DJK

Time to test

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out and post back!

DJK, Aug 23, 2012
Ask a Question