Saturn button caps

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by markdem, Feb 22, 2014.

1. markdem

markdem

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I could get some normal, not the 5080LC-8, Saturn button caps? I have found a few cracking in half in a few old jobs and would like to replace them.

Thanks

markdem, Feb 22, 2014
  2. markdem

Roosta

So by normal i assum you mean the cats eye ones normally fitted to cbus saturn switches.. Or do you mean the ones fitted to normal 240v saturn switches?

Roosta, Feb 22, 2014
  3. markdem

trucker01

I have the labelled ones and was quite disappointed that you can't see through them so its hard to see if they are active or not.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you are happy with losing the led light up feature.

trucker01, Feb 23, 2014
  4. markdem

markdem

Sorry, should of been more clear.
    Yes, the cats eye ones fitted to a cbus switch.

I have seen the label buttons, and yes I agree, they look poor. Why would anyone make then and not have the text clear?

Just got off the phone with Clipsal tech. There is no part number for this and got told to have a chat to my wholesaler. Problem here is old Middies' have told me to talk to Clipsal....

Anyone here got any off faulty switches you want to sell?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
    markdem, Feb 23, 2014
  5. markdem

markdem

Just got back from another install, 2 more broken buttons.

2 questions;

1. Has anyone else seen any of there issues. Granted that the switches are installed in high use areas in offices buildings but I still would not expect it to happen.

2. I am still looking of anyone one that has any faulty switches. I don't mind paying for them.

Thanks

markdem, Apr 20, 2014
  6. markdem

Roti

Hi.

Did you get a solution to this ?

I've had a number of them cracking and fragmenting as well.

I've pulled out the plastic translucent 2-button "rocker" from the switch plate and pushed in one from another unused switch (a few times), but I've not found where to get a replacement part. Even through it's "removable" from the plate, it's actually in pretty tight and you can easily damage the button pair trying to lever them out by the centre "tongue" which holds them in.

I presume, as it's a modular part, there should be spares available somewhere.

(I've previously bought the equivalent button insert replacements for the Neo switches, which come in different colours, and are listed as replacement parts).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    Roti, Dec 22, 2014
  7. markdem

Roosta

The silver cap buttons are available under part number 5080LC-8 however its a pack of 60 odd caps and has labelled along with symbols buttons..

Roosta, Dec 22, 2014
  8. markdem

amfield

Saturn button caps (C-Bus) Cat's Eye

Has anyone looked into this lately?

I have several clients who have damaged the silver cat's eye button caps on their C-Bus Saturn switches and I would like to arrange some replacements as I have used up all the spare caps I have on my own switches.

I have to date ordered both the 60PBC Button Identification Caps which I later discovered are only for 240V and of far better quality than the C-Bus version.

I then ordered the 5080LC-8 Pre-Labeled Button Caps for Ulti Saturn to discover that they are only labeled button caps with no cat's eye caps included.

Is it possible to order replacement C-Bus Saturn series cat's eye button caps from Clipsal?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

amfield, Apr 19, 2017
  9. markdem

Ashley W

Curious myself as have similar issue with some older ones not looking too good anymore. Pity the C-bus ones don't work the same as the 240V ones and come as part of the cover plate.

Ashley W, May 7, 2017
  10. markdem

Gallo

I recently attended a trade show by Traders Electrical. A company that is owned by the Gerard family who started and owned Clipsal before being taken over by Schneider.
    They have or are about to sell the push buttons you are after at 1/2 the cost. Well worth looking into. Ask your local wholesaler for their info.

Gallo, Jun 11, 2017
  11. markdem

Ashley W

Seems like an odd product to be selling. To be clear we are talking about the original button caps on the cbus switches. Not the caps off the 4000 series Saturn which are different.

Ashley W, Jun 28, 2017
  12. markdem

adamg

Any update on this? I now have multiple 5086NL CBus2 switches with buttons that started to crack after 5 years use in domestic situation.
    This thread from 2016 talks about "5080-CAP" part number:
    https://www.se.com/au/en/faqs/FA282101/
    Anybody ordered that?

Attached Files:

adamg, Apr 6, 2020
    brette likes this.
  13. markdem

bmerrick

Hi Adam,

I did this at end 2018 for a client. You need to email [email protected] and they will forward your request to 'estimating' as it is a special build product. The part code is 5080-CAP

From memory It was not a quick process as estimating needed to quote me as a proposal which I needed to accept with an order as the special build process provides non-returnable items.

The order I finally placed was based on a 10 button pack and a minimum order quantity of 5 packs.

On balance, I believe it is worth doing as it makes the switches look like new again.

Good luck with kicking it off,

Brad

:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bmerrick, Apr 7, 2020
  14. markdem

Ashley

Australia consumer laws states quite emphatically that goods must be "fit for the purpose" and have a reasonable lifetime for their intended application irrespective of any warranty periods. I would argue that a domestic light switch should be expected to last well past 5 years so this is clearly a design fault. Perhaps you need to remind clipsal/schneider of their of their legal obligations. If you get no joy a letter to the ACCC would be in order.

Ashley, Apr 8, 2020
  15. markdem

Ashley W

Someone has been selling these on Ebay recently. I cannot find the ad now, but if I recall they wanted $50 each. Highway robbery!

After my post above, 3 years ago I managed to get some but what a PIA. I asked Clipsal for a price, but without an account they wouldn't deal with me. Luckily I get on well with someone at my local L&H and I was able to order a sheet of them, think it had about 40 on it through them, not cheap if I recall about $100, but a lot better than the Ebay price!.

I sill have a dozen or so spare, but I am keeping them for myself. The other Ashley does raise a good point, under Australia consumer law there are statutory warranties that last the 'normal' life time of a product, and frankly these button caps should be replaced FOC if they fail through normal use, or at the very least parts be available for a given number of years after EOL, which hasn't happened yet.

Ashley W, Apr 14, 2020
  16. markdem

Ashley W

I notice the ad for the button caps is back on ebay. I was wrong with the price above, who ever is selling them wants $100 per button cap! I kid you not.

Ashley W, Apr 20, 2020
  17. markdem

jboer

As an off.... we tried to get some Reflection Caps today, despite the Schneider Website saying you could get them in packs of 10 even if they were special order, we were told today that they had a minimum pack order quantity of 20... Its kinda getting worse the support for most things C-Bus these days..

jboer, Apr 20, 2020
  18. markdem

brette

doesnt sound promising. I am in need of one or 2 buttons but happy to take a pack of 10 if there is a group that is looking to get a purchase up to meet minimum requirements

brette, Apr 20, 2020
  19. markdem

bmerrick

OK Guys,

This issue sounds like it's getting pretty stupid. As I've done it before, I'll take the initiative and place a special build order on SE and put them on our website once they arrive and report that back here.

I ask all to please not complain about the price when they do arrive on there, as being a special build item they aren't cheap, but $100 a button on eBay is outrageous, (almost as bad as $30 rolls of toilet paper and face masks.)

From memory, the 10 button pack exceeded the price of the 5080LC8 Saturn C-Bus Pre-Labelled Button Caps pack of 66, but the finish quality of the original buttons is greater with the chrome finish and being thicker plastic.

So I'll let you all know when they arrive probably around Christmas :p

Brad

bmerrick, Apr 22, 2020
    jboer and Mr Mark like this.
  20. markdem

bmerrick

I now have the Saturn original button caps - 10 pack and also the Reflections original button caps - 10 pack on their way to me from SE. ETA quoted is 4/6/2020.

If you want some of this batch, please use the links above to go to our website and place an order.

For completeness, I note that we also have:
    Saturn Pre-Labelled Button Caps (C-Bus style)
    Saturn Pre-Labelled Button Caps (240V style) and
    Saturn Zen Pictogram Button Packs (240V style)

So now everyone can enjoy fixing up their tatty old switches.

Brad

bmerrick, May 11, 2020
    brette likes this.
Ask a Question