Saturn bts flash with orange/blue suddenly

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by greefon, Aug 27, 2012.

1. greefon

greefon

Hello everyone!
    Cbus system itself works fine except - this issue: sometimes when one push any Saturn button it suddenly begin to flash with orange/blue light and the relay which is tied to this button doesn't reacts (the same with E2000 btns with red LEDs). It can last for 3-4 seconds and during this time if any of other buttons are pressed even on another keypad they begin to flash too - the system stops to respond at all for short period.

This behavior happens two - three times a week and every time all of a sudden.
    Tried to set burden on another device, tried to set software burden off and set hardware rj45 burden. Placed the Power Supply to different location. Turned on 2 clocks on network. Nothing helps.
    Toolkit says that there is enough current of power supply - almost 300mA is free. The minimum voltage is 29,9 on a most distant device.
    I also wrote to support - they advised to check for leakage/voltage/polarity.
    I have checked in 5 places across the network -
    1) voltage between Cbus & earth is straight half measure everywhere;
    2) voltage between Remote & Cbus is zero everywhere.
    Seems to be ok with voltage.

The system consists of 1 power supply, 3 relays 12 channel w/supply on board, 2 shutter relays, 1 bcu input unit, 1 PCI, 1 wiser, 1 universal 4 channel dimmer w/supply, 1 outdoor light sensor, 2 indoor motion sensors, 3 single t-stats, 3 saturn 6 btns, 6 saturn 4 btns, 6 saturn 2 btns, 4 e2000 1 btn.

Please advice me something - the system is less than one year old.
    Any suggestions would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!
    Thank you!

greefon, Aug 27, 2012
  2. greefon

Matthew

unwanted flashing

Hello in Moscow!
    I have had the same thing happen, but only when the C-Bus has insufficient power supply. Otherwise it all works normally.
    My systems power supplies are across 2 separate lighting sub-circuits, 2 on each. One of the lighting circuits used to trip out after much rain as a cable outside was unprotected and eventually the excess moisture tripped out the RCD. The neo switchplates would then flash and the system was unresponsive.
    Same happens when on circuit is isolated to work on.

So I would continue to look for a loss of power / short circuit somewhere.

Matthew, Aug 29, 2012
  3. greefon

greefon

Thank you Matthew!
    I'll definitely check your suggestions.

greefon, Aug 29, 2012
  4. greefon

Don

The orange/blue flash on Saturn units is a communication failure. The unit has attempted to transmit a message and gets either no acknowledgement on the network or it gets negatively acknowledged by one or more units.

You've already done all the obvious things (network voltage, burden, etc.) and they look okay, and as you've stated that the problem only occurs a few times a week, It sounds like an intermittent problem. Possibly related to temperature.
    These problems are not easy to find, but if you can disconnect or separate sections of the network and follow where the problem exists, you can use the process of elimination to eventially zero in on the problem.
    I've had similar problems twice in a previous installation. One time, the problem was eventually identified as a a faulty unit with a bad internal solder joint. Every time the ambient temperature was high enough, the unit became noisy, and the unit interfered with bus communication.
    Another time, using the same technique, I narrowed the problem down to a 2 metre length of C-Bus cable which had been damaged by a nearby sliding door that ran into the wall cavity.

An oscilloscope is also useful to identify the nature of the problem (a low amplitude communications waveform might be due to a low resistance fault across the network, and a high level of random noise might be attributed to an intermittent connection)

I hope your problem is not too hard to fix.
    Good luck!

Don, Aug 29, 2012
  5. greefon

greefon

Thanks, Don !
    It's really a headache to eliminate the issue.
    I have three devices outdoor - 2 keypads & one light sensor.
    I think to start with them.

greefon, Aug 29, 2012
Ask a Question