Salvage toolkit files from computer that will not start

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Opto, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Opto

Opto

The laptop used to program in Toolkit won't start up. However, I can access files on the hard disk using a live Linux CD or by using a hard disk drive dock.

Last time the project was in use the computer became unresponsive (possibly while Toolkit was open - can't remember) so it wasn't possible to create a backup archive at the end of work as usual (though I have older ones).

Does Toolkit save all changes as work is performed (I always save changes to the network and database simultaneously) or when closing the program?

Please advise where to find the files and the best way forward to retrieve the project.

Or is it best just to re-scan the network?

Thanks.

Opto, Jun 1, 2012
  2. Opto

Newman

Everything to do with your C-Bus Toolkit projects are stored in:
    "C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag"

Assuming you install the same version of Toolkit on your other computer you can copy the contents of the folder above from your old to your new PC.

Newman, Jun 1, 2012
  3. Opto

znelbok

There is a hard drive utility that will most likely make hte PC bootble again.

Spinrite from grc.com. I have used it a few times to recover hard drives and have heard of many examples of where it saved data. Your situation sounds like it is just right for you.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 3, 2012
  4. Opto

ashleigh Moderator

You can also use a backup program.

If its a laptop, then you need to plug it in when you get home / back to base so the backup can be made to a server or external USB drive.

You can use my backup program which is free (or you can pay for extra features... but for basic backup the free edition should do what you want). Its here. There are many other backup tools you could use also.

Unfortunately, laptop drives die all the time, and they always need a backup. Being away from base all the time, getting that backup is difficult so you need the discipline to always plug it in, do a copy, do a sync, whatever.

If you change your laptop to use an SSD instead of a hard drive, you won't be a huge lot better off. They are a lot faster, but when they fail they tend to do so catastrophically with total data loss - unlike the magnetic hard drives where by use of some clever magic you can frequently get some information back.

ashleigh, Jun 4, 2012
  5. Opto

DarylMc

Hello Opto
    Sure sounds like bad luck to have a PC break right in the middle of using Toolkit.
    I have had a really good run from SSD's from Intel and OCZ and wouldn't hesitate to use them provided you keep regular back ups as Ashleigh suggests.
    Especially in an environment where you are carrying the laptop around while in use.

I often wondered when using Toolkit just when the changes were saved myself.

I had a quick look while using Toolkit at the database in "C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag" as Newman mentioned.

Then I added a unit to my network without closing Toolkit.

The changes were reflected in the database file.

DarylMc, Jun 5, 2012
  6. Opto

daniel C-Busser Moderator

That's correct, Toolkit saves the project immediately after every operation in the software.

Frequent backups are definitely a good idea!

daniel, Jun 13, 2012
Ask a Question