Running Logic on a Laptop

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Guff, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Guff

Guff

Hi There,

Is there an alternative to running some of the more complex logic commands/functions eg by running logic on a laptop permanently connected via a CNI?

For example I am interested in some Client Socket read and write logic to interact with security cameras, however not ready to shell out $ on a colour C-touch or wiser. PAC doesn't seem to be able to perform many of the functions I would like.

Many thanks in advance.
    Guff!

Guff, Sep 9, 2011
  2. Guff

Darren Senior Member

If you want to run logic using TCP/IP functions, you obviously need a device with an Ethernet connection. Your choices are a laptop or PC running HomeGate, a Colour C-Touch or Wiser.

Darren, Sep 9, 2011
  3. Guff

ashleigh Moderator

These days low end laptops are amazingly cheap. You could pick up something adequate for about $500. If you don't like that idea, look into some of the embedded PC's that are around. Or an Eeebox. Or an x86 based NAS box. This last one is a stretch but some of these are hackable, have very low power consumption, and allow running VMs!

ashleigh, Sep 10, 2011
  4. Guff

DarylMc

Can someone confirm for my benefit and Guff that Wiser would be by far the cheapest option to run some logic.
    I was thinking of using an IP cam to trigger a gate or door myself.
    Unfortunately after successfully working out how to send the URL to trigger the digital output on the camera with logic I also found that a power cycle to the camera would toggle the output making it somewhat useless.
    So I would recommend using Piced with whatever Cbus connection you already have and test it well before deciding which route you take.

DarylMc, Sep 11, 2011
Ask a Question