rs232 'get lighting state' command?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by boganbill, Feb 24, 2010.

1. boganbill

boganbill

Using the nifty program "cbus 2 rs232.exe" you can send direct serial commands via a PCI/CNI from remotes/control4/other av control systems.

What I want to know is what are the direct serial commands for querying a certain group adresss' lighting state? Using c-gate its easy, however I'm programming up some equipement that only has imbedded code and obviously can't use java to run a copy of cgate. It would be much easier just to poll every 30 seconds or so and decypher the return string.

Presumably there is a serial command that can be sent directly via the PCI which will then return string(s) you can use to work out a group address' current level without ever touching cgate.

I can't work it out even using a sniffer, I figured during an auto-synch I could find my answer, any ideas?

boganbill, Feb 24, 2010
  2. boganbill

ashleigh Moderator

You can't and should not be polling a cbus network. Especially not every 30 seconds. Danger danger danger!

ashleigh, Feb 24, 2010
  3. boganbill

Don

Ashleigh's right. Polling's not the answer.

You should be setting up the PC Interface / CNI to monitor the application(s) of interest.

Your embedded code then only has to respond to the short messages resulting from C-Bus traffic. Your code should then maintain a variable to represent the level of any groups you are interested in.

This not only reduces network traffic, but simplifies your embedded code.

Don, Feb 24, 2010
  4. boganbill

ashleigh Moderator

All the yummy code you need is available for free, written in C, and portable to boot.

Search sourceforge for "cbus module".

There is a stack of documentation there and for download from the clipsal web site as well. READ IT.

If you leap in without reading it you will be asking a whole lot more questions here, to which the rather impatient answer will be "read the doco".

:)

ashleigh, Feb 25, 2010
Ask a Question