Robus LED Driver and 5508 Dimmers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Renegade, May 16, 2015.

1. Renegade

Renegade

Good evening all,
    I have been a sparky for over 30 years but am very new to C-Bus and my first project has been wiring my own new home after completing the 3 day Schneider course to learn this magic.

I have been sifting through the raft of posts re problems with LED Driver capacitance issues and would like a little advice before I hit the button. I have two areas of concern I would like some advice/ opinion on.

After seeing the Robus 10 Watt LED on display connected to a basic dimmer, which dimmed nicely, we decided to install this model. They were purchased from Ideal Electrical in NZ. I cannot find any data on the Robus LED drivers re capacitance but have measured it with the capacitance feature of a reasonable multimeter to be 56 nf. I have a couple of circuits with 8 lights which would exceed the max 300nf limit of the dimmer. Is the simple and most effective way to fix this excessive capacitance to install the Clipsal 32EIND inductor or are there better considerations? Unfortunately it is not an easy option to split the circuit over two dimmer channels.

The second issue I have is what is the best option for installing 16 meters of LED strip lighting to one of the dimmer channels of the 5508. I was considering the 4.8 watt/ meter strip driven by an 80W driver. Again, would I normally need the 32EIND to protect the dimmer and is this the best option?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ren.

Renegade, May 16, 2015
  2. Renegade

Mike S

Any answer to your question?

Hi Ren.

I'm in the early stages of a new house build in Wellington, seriously considering C-Bus and Robus / Rexel LED downlights from Ideal Electrical. Probably the same products as you are.

Link to product:
    http://www.ledgrouprobus.com.au/images/uploads/page-content/R10WDLxx-Features Benefits Aus.pdf

I see you've had no replies to your question, have you managed to find answers yourself? If so I'm keen to know the outcome.

Specifically what is the maximum number of 10W LED lights that can be connected to a 1A dimmer?

And do we require the C-Bus Universal dimmer, or is the standard C-Bus leading edge dimmer sufficient?

Thanks, Mike

Mike S, Jul 15, 2015
  3. Renegade

robsgt4

Hi gents, not really an answer for you on your question, the max Robus LED's I have on any dimming channel is 5 so only hitting 280nF, after seeing their output I cut back on lights for a couple of my bigger rooms and also have split the lounge room to 2 channels so I could have lights dimmed behind the lounge and lights off in front of it while watching movies etc...

My outdoor entertaining area has 12 but on 3 channels so 4 per channel.

I have found that 1 LED on a dimming channel does have issues with flicker when dimming and turning off, I will probably have to get a couple of the 31LCDA to sort that out. Two LED's on a dimming channel are not affected by flicker...

I do have a Universal dimmer that replaced a relay that let the smoke out, but have found it cant handle the fluro's in the garage, and I have ended up with LED's spare so I will be replacing the fluro's with the led's and can test how many I can hang of a channel but obviously that's 2amps per channel not the same as 1amp on the 8 channel.

Overall I am happy with the Robus LED's.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    robsgt4, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Renegade

WrightLamb

In my case 1 LED on a dimming channel have issues with flicker when dimming and turning off. I will probably have to get a couple of the 31LCDA to sort that out.
    I have a Universal dimmer that replaced a relay that let the smoke out, but have found it cant handle the fluro's in the garage.

complete pcb

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    WrightLamb, Oct 14, 2015
Ask a Question