Ripple - whats its purpose

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by znelbok, Jun 22, 2011.

1. znelbok

znelbok

So I am looking at a system that has MRA and have been asked to automate the system.

Ripple seems to be a sticking point. I want to be able to play mp3's through the MRA, but I cant control them if I use ripple, which seems a shame.

Is ripple meant to be just an app that the interactive user has control over?

Is it posible to control ripple remotely (API?).

As an example, squeezebox has a server component that has an API to allow for remote control of all the attached squeezeboxes. This works great and allows for good integration into and automation system.

I know I could add a squeezebox, but that is an added cost and would use up an input. I would rather be able to control ripple in some form remotely and expose the transport controls and selected songs to the HA interface.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 22, 2011
  2. znelbok

Conformist

Mick

Assume its an MRA system V3 (the black Matrix Switcher)? You can control C-Bus Ripple through the Matrix switcher (using C-Bus) or through the C-Touch colour (using the Media Director).

Can you confirm what's present in the installation?

Conformist, Jun 22, 2011
  3. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks

So ripple was designed to be left running in the background on an unattended system - thats sort of what I meant by the title of the post. I was not sure it it was just meant to be an interactive application or a background app.

CQC is being used. It has its own repository for music. It would be nice to have control over ripple via IP. Send the location of the file to play and have control over the transport functions.

I can go the long way round, control ripple via the C-Bus groups as long as they are all lighting groups. But I suspect I cant add files via a C-Bus group easily.
    Even if there was a C-Touch, it defeats the purpose. There is a Wiser that is planned on being used a lot as well. I have come in late on the project more so for the expertise on CQC and not for the C-bus side of things.

Would Clipsal be interested in releasing the API they are using to control ripple? It stands to reason that there is one because the Matrix switch can control it, and I just want to control it from somewhere else.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 22, 2011
  4. znelbok

ashleigh Moderator

Ripple can be used as an interactive application, or background.

The API used between Ripple and the Matrix switcher only works on the link between the Matrix Switcher and Ripple. That is, there is no other magical back door to poke operations at Ripple saying "hey you go do this".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
    ashleigh, Jun 23, 2011
  5. znelbok

znelbok

I would then like to add a request for Ripple to have the ability to be controlled via a third party.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 24, 2011
Ask a Question