RGBW and CTT Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andrewc0011, Nov 8, 2019.

1. andrewc0011

andrewc0011

Hi All
    I need some advise on controlling RGBW and Colour Temperature (CTT) over cBus.

I have a new residential property under construction and need to decide on a method of controlling 8 areas with RGBW Downlights an 8 Areas with Colour Temperature Downlights. Each Area has 4-6 Downlights. 80-100 Downlights total

In either case, RGBW and CTT Downlights seem to be very limited in an affordable range...

There are three options Im looking at... DMX, DALI or Zigbee (Philips Hue)

DMX seams to be the simplest option, But the DMX gateway only support 12 Group mappings so I would need 5x DMX Gates to cover All Areas. Not 100% sure how well DMX works with CTT?

The DALI Gateway seams to scale a bit better than the DMX Gateway and has native support for CTT with the DT8 Drivers.
    DALI is limited to 64 Addresses per Network. which would give me 128 Address per Gateway. Which should be enough for my application.

Zigbee seams to more tailored for the residential market, Im thinking of the Philips Hue downlights which is basically Zigbee.
    Philips Hue does RGBW and CTT Downlights, But needs a Hub which is limited to 50 devices per hub. In my case I would need 2x Hubs. Wireless seem to be prone to dropouts. The only integration I can see with cBus is using the Wiser2 controller. Im not sure if this can integrate with 2 or more Philip Hue Hubs?

I also want to be able to link the downlights back to an eDLT and colour wheel on a Mobile App. and cBus integration with Control4....

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Regards

Andrew

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    andrewc0011, Nov 8, 2019
  2. andrewc0011

lcrowhurst

It maybe worth you looking at cognian.com synchromesh this is a wireless mesh techonology that connect to dali drivers and removes the limitations of Dali. It has a gateway that interfaces to a Shac (and control 4 I think)

A shac gives you a colour wheel (well actually a colour square) , that can then to programmed to control dali, syncromesh, life, hue etc.

If you have something like a shac then the edlt can control the red as well

updates to wiser and edlt next year are rumoured to improve the support further.

lcrowhurst, Nov 8, 2019
Ask a Question