RGB Pixel control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daveymit, Mar 31, 2013.

1. daveymit

daveymit

Hello all,

I was reading through some of the threads ragrding RGB control methods and couldn't find what i was looking for. Here is what i want to know:

- I am building a house shortly and will be incorporating LED strip lighting in 3 locations. 2 of which will be controlled together with the other separate.

- I am going to use DMX control.

- The strip lighting i am going to use is the newer Pixel LED strips (with individually controlled led segments).

My question is not how to control the levels of RGB via the DMX gateway, but how to control the mode in which they appear (ie stroke effects, preset colour fades, etc)? Usually the driver comes with a remote with different modes although seeing as im incorporating cBus in my house i was wanting to have it all integrated into cBus. For example:

Have a 'Party' scene which is selectable via DLT which would involve turning on these LED strip lights. Now, what if i would like them to come on with a stroke effect? What if i would want to change the mode via DLT to a slow fade?

I realise there may be some code to write, i do have a PAC in my system.

Any ideas would be much appreciated here? Anyone had any experience integrating these pixel RGB led strips into cBus?

Thanks in advance guys!
    Dave

daveymit, Mar 31, 2013
  2. daveymit

jboer

Hey Dave,

What you will need is the DMX slot description/footprint of the driver. Depending on the type/make/model of strip you are using there are a few different ways. Generally you can have the option of using a low channel count where you change the levels of the whole strip but has an effects channel which does the pre-programed effects and ect or a high channel count where you can change the RGB levels of every pixel.

If you are using a DMX gateway the first option is probably better otherwise you are probably looking at lots and lots of them and logic if you want to be able to manipulate every pixel.

There are a couple of other options out there other than the DMX gateway if you do want to have a high channel count. Just PM me if you want to know more.

J

jboer, Mar 31, 2013
  3. daveymit

daveymit

Has anyone got any solutions to this? I'm open to any type or brand of pixel strip. Preferably DMX controlled...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

daveymit, Apr 16, 2013
Ask a Question