RF Neo won't scan

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Thomas, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Thomas

Thomas

I am playing around with some of the Development samples of Neos. All went pretty well until the 58xxD1T2AA would not want to scan in anymore. I assume that the last download attempt did not complete, and now the unit is no longer recognised. See the attached screenshot.
    The units are connected as indicated on them, both having incandescent loads. I am running Toolkit 1.1.6.

I have done a network refresh, deleted and re-established the network, but the unit remains a stranger. I assume that it has either decided to give up completely, or has gone corrupt. If corrupt, is there a way to revive it?

Has anyone got an idea on this?
    Cheers
    Thomas

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
    Thomas, Jun 4, 2005
  2. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

Try a total unit erase:

Enter Learn.
    Double click a button (go to scene assign mode)
    Double click again (go to erase mode - all indicators should be flashing)
    Press and hold the top 2 buttons (should get a rapid flash then as long period of no flashing before it re-enters Learn)

After that - re-learn the unit to the network.

ashleigh, Jun 5, 2005
  3. Thomas

Thomas

Still dead

Hi Ashleigh,
    Thank you for the reply. I have done the reset a couple of times, plus learned the unit (as a slave) onto the network, but still cannot scan or program it.
    Is there anything else I could try besides what you advised and what is documented?

Thomas, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Thomas

Newman

I think the key is here:
    The units went through a lot of trials and a huge amount of effort has gone into the design. The firmware has had quite a bit of work done on it since the initial field trials went out. I expect that your units have quite early firmware in them and as such can't be guaranteed to operate as reliably as the released product.

All development samples that have gone out have done so under an agreement that stated that the units were to be used for a number of weeks (can't remember the exact number) and then returned to CIS. Units not returned should have been billed for, i.e. if you want to keep the development samples then you have to pay for them, but you take them as-is.

Newman, Jun 6, 2005
  5. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Newman,
    First and foremost, please note that this is neither a financial, nor a warrantee matter. I was also not aware of any time restrictions placed on these devices, and considering that I have them only for two weeks, with little playing time, this should not be an issue either. Furthermore, these products have not been, and also will not be released in this country for a while. Presumably to circumvent issues like this, when we do have a bit of a puddle between us, which doesn't allow us to quickly pop in at your offices.

The point here is of technical nature, and if you are telling me that the firmware is junk, or the devices as a whole, and you are sure of it, then I accept that.
    In that case, however, I would like to be sure that the released product will not suffer a similar fate. If, however it does too, then there must be a solution.
    Consequenly, I would have appreciated to know if there is something else that could be tried to get the unit up and about again?

Thomas, Jun 6, 2005
  6. Thomas

Newman

Steady on big fella. You referred to your units as being "Development Samples of Neo's". Now the only "Development Samples" that went out to end users/customrs did so late last year to a fairly select group of people. Now the units that you have are either:
    a) from the development sample lot last year,
    b) off-the-shelf units and someone has told you that they are "development samples",
    c) prototype units in the E-series format for Asian & UK markets.

Can you do me a favour and check the build date on your units. It should appear on the end of the unit just above the serial number. That will be a big clue as to what's inside your units. The country you are in, the shape of the grid plate (square or rectangular) and the frequency of operation will be useful too.

If you do the factory reset can you control the local load? Can you learn the device into a wireless network and control other devices?

Newman, Jun 6, 2005
  7. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Newman,
    The answers to your questions are:
    - We are in South Africa
    - The units are as we term it 2x4 in size, i.e. the rectangular versions.
    - The frequency of use is unknown to me, as I am one of a number of SIs here, and the samples have been evaluated by the Tech Department of Clipsal SA as well.
    - The build date is 12 Aug 2004, and there is also a sticker on the terminal side, sying 'Development sample only'.

Local operation works fine, now and before. Prior to the 'hiccup' the unit in question scanned in perfectly into the network. There was also cross communication between that unit, and another (5852D2L1AA, same build date), which I will have still for a few more days.
    I have tried to learn the unit into the network, consisting now only of the second unit mentioned above, and the wireles gateway of course. The way I understand this needs to be done is to learn it into the network as a slave as follows:

- Put 'Master' (which would be the working unit) into learn mode
    - Put 'Slave' (the trouble maker) into learn mode
    - Within 5 sec press both local buttons on slave for 2 sec
    - Press and hold one of the Master local buttons and double-click the other local button. Then release both keys.
    Done.

As mentioned before, the troouble maker is still not scannable.

If this unit can be resurrected, then I could do some range or location checks before ordering the real stuff for the house in question. That is why I am playing around with the product.

Your help will be appreciate.
    Thomas

Thomas, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Thomas

Newman

Thomas

Ok, what you have is pre-release development samples that use early firmware with a variety of bugs.

Your units communicate on the 433.92MHz band (should be on the label on the back).

I had this problem you describe with some early units about 6 months ago. Provided my memory doesn't fail me I did the following to get them communicating:
    a) Factory reset on both Neo units
    b) Learned the 2 Neo's + Gateway into a network
    c) Learned 2 free keys on 1 unit to the local load keys on the other
    d) and vice versa
    e) Open Toolkit and reset the Geateway
    f) Wait the required 50 seconds or so
    g) Press both the local keys and free keys on each unit.
    h) Scan the network

Following the above steps I was able to see both units on the network at last.

Bear in mind that some of the features won't work properly with this early firmware. I think in particular some aspects of Scenes and remote controls don't work too well.

If you can get these 2 units working in harmony then you should get a bit of a feel for the range you can achieve but the production units should be better again.

Hope this gets you going.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2005
    Newman, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

Some of the the early development samples used a different factory reset sequence (and Aug 2004 is about the right date for the older sequence).

For these, try to reset by:

. entering Learn

. double click -> scene assign (1 indicator flashing)

. double click -> erase prepare mode (all indicators flashing)

. press and hold a SINGLE key only (flashing stops - unit DOES NOT go back into learn mode)

When you can with toolkit you should see that the firmware version is probably 0.11.xxx - definitely pre-release (prior to ver 1.0.0).

There are many, many defects fixed between that release and the production release. You can do a range and some other simple evaluations using what you have, but the production product performs significantly better.

ashleigh, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Newman / Ashleigh,

Thanks for the info. I have to delay further activities on that one for a day or so, but will let you know of what comes out.

Thomas, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Thomas

Thomas

No go

Hi Newman / Ashleigh,

Thanks again for your assistance. Unfortunately, the one Neo remains in it's own world.
    Perhaps you can tell me if the range achieved between the wireless gateway and the remaining Neo would be a safe indication of the range which I can achieve between two or more switches?

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Jun 15, 2005
  12. Thomas

Newman

The production units will out-perform those early samples. By how much is hard to say. Suffice to say that if those samples work OK then the production units will have no problems.

Newman, Jun 15, 2005
  13. Thomas

Thomas

Are they available?

Hi Newman / Ashleigh,

A bit late perhaps, but are the production units actually shipping yet?

Regards
    Thomas

Thomas, Jun 18, 2005
  14. Thomas

Richo

In Australia the production units have been shipping for many months (6?). Not sure about other markets.

Richo, Jun 18, 2005
Ask a Question