Retrofitting a SHAC into existing CBUS installation

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by paultulloch, Dec 19, 2020.

1. paultulloch

paultulloch

I'm after some advice and best practices in retrofitting a SHAC into an existing CBUS network that has only switches, DLTs and eDLTs. I have started building the pages, and I have imported the CGL file from Toolkit into the SHAC. I am starting to play around with placing the controls on the pages. I would like to make sure i follow best practice and an optimum workflow.
    • My existing project didn't have a lot of (i.e. zero) levels on the objects, and therefore I do not have them in the SHAC. I gather that these are very useful when attaching the controls to the objects in the SHAC visualization. What is the best way to implement them - build in Toolkit, and then re-import, or the other way round? If I build in the SHAC, do I have to create the levels on both the objects and also in the tag map?
    • When you import and export the CGL file, are there any Gotchas, i.e. what gets overwritten? I have a load of user parameters that are used in the trend logs and don't want to lose these.
    • While I have scenes in Toolkit, I believe that I need to re-create them for use in the SHAC. All of my scenes are local. My assumption is that best practice would be to create new scenes in the SHAC if I need them for the visualisation, and then remote trigger them from the CBUS switches (and remove them from the Toolkit), but leave existing scenes in place if they are not used on the SHAC?
    • Does the use of remote scenes get around the limitation of DLTs in regards to sweep fan control and scenes (i.e. once you place a fan control on the DLT, you can't have any scenes or another fan control)
    Many thanks
    Paul

paultulloch, Dec 19, 2020
  2. paultulloch

chromus

Why do u want the SHAC? I ask because they are a LOT of faff to setup and get the interface nice.

Wiser 2 (flash issues aside) is a couple of hours and you are done. SHAC is 5-8x that.

Unless you need Modbus connectivity or your client has super deep pockets to pay for the dev time there maybe more cost effective solutions

chromus, Dec 23, 2020
  3. paultulloch

paultulloch

I'm the end user of the install. I went with the SHAC for a few reasons, and one of those is the Modbus connectivity (I have integrated Powertag for instance). I initially had a Wiser in place, but have found the SHAC a better fit. As an end user I have found more resources available for me with the automation controllers (e.g Ryelec templates, the SHAC manual).

paultulloch, Dec 23, 2020
  4. paultulloch

Pie Boy

Q- If I build in the SHAC, do I have to create the levels on both the objects and also in the tag map?

- I don’t believe you can create levels in toolkit, I believe it’s specific to the shac.
    I just create the levels in the objects, shac will create the tag map.

Q-When you import and export the CGL file, are there any Gotchas,

Yep user parameters can’t exist in toolkit so you have to make each one in the shac
    And also Temperature devices/measurement app such as 5014dtsi need to be created in the shac- they don’t transfer from toolkit.

All the cgl import is useful for really is to bring existing group addresses from toolkit and transfer them to shac objects, if you are exporting from the shac back to toolkit it will only be useful if you created some new group address on shac and you want it to exist in toolkit.

if your only adding a few, I find it easier to create new group in toolkit at the same time as the shac, confirming that both are the same app and group number etc

Q-While I have scenes in Toolkit, I believe that I need to re-create them for use in the SHAC.

You could do either, leave the scenes how they are and just use the trigger control object in the shac or create the scenes in the shac, then you would need to reprogramme your input devices to the correct trigger groups for the shac scene,
    So most likely the former is easier.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Pie Boy, Dec 24, 2020
Ask a Question