Replacing existing units

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by DavidS, Dec 6, 2005.

1. DavidS

DavidS

When I log on to an existing C-Bus System using any verison of toolkit the software does an initial scan to compare existing database with the network which is fine. I then replace a unit on the network which is faulty Scan for new which then brings up the replaced unit. Now the fun starts.
    You can't readdress the unit to the one you have replaced because it thinks it is still there. The same problem if you want to match serials. I have found two ways to solve this which are both unsatisfactory. The first is to delete unit from database but I need the unit to be programmed the same. I am only replacing it because it is faulty. The second is to rescan the network which allows the database to realise that the unit doesn't exist on the network any more. But the rescan process takes at least 3 times longer than the original scan which is great on a large installation. So I now close the software and start again this is quicker.
    Has anyone else had this problem or is there a better solution.

DavidS, Dec 6, 2005
  2. DavidS

Duncan

There's an "in-built" solution.

- Scan the Network.
    - Install the new Unit.
    - Select the Database Unit that is being replaced
    - Click on the "Reinstall" button that you will see in the top left of your screen.

The software will then:

- Check for the new unit at 255,
    - Validate its the same type as what you've selected in the Database..
    - Readddress it to the correct address
    - Download its programming.

If however you'd rather do it yourself, instead of hitting "Readdress" on the Network Unit press the "Set Addr -> DB" button, this will first try to match on serial number (which will fail in your case) then it will present you with a list of compatible units in the Database, you select the correct one and the readdress takes place.

As it stands, when you select "Readdress" the list of available addresses is made up of all available addresses on the network MINUS those addresses that are occupied by Database Units.. potentially something we'll change as it does cause quite a few support calls.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2005
    Duncan, Dec 6, 2005
  3. DavidS

JohnC

I also had the same problem recently with a afaulty L5508D and had to phone Tech Support to find out how to solve it. Like DavidS, I couldn't for the life of me work out what to do (eventhough the "ReAddress button is blatently obvious, we Users are usually scared to click on unknown things because quite often the changes are non-reversible)...

I am concerned that unless this is changed "carefully" it could cause more problems than it solves. It is quite common to "split" a installation up to make repairs - by that I mean isolating certain sections of the network while working on it. In these cases, the only protection against creating duplicate UA's is the database listing.

Furthermore, a LOT of us initially program "off-site" and while Addressing and Programming may only have 1 or 2 units physically connected to the "network". Again, the protection we have against duplicating UA's is that the databsase only lets us select "un-used" UA's.

I think it would be MUCH better to spend development time to actually document Toolkit. The reason there are so many support calls is because there's no Instructions, no Help File, no nothing...

So, we Users blindly blunder our way through - clicking buttons almost at random and hoping that we will stumble upon the command that will do what we want. We come here to the forum to learn "tricks of the trade" that aren't recorded anywhere, except in the minds of the software developers.

If we had a help file to refer to, then it would be so easy ! How about it - what is the status of this, Duncan?

And how can it be that PICED (which was released a lot later than Toolkit) has both Instructions and a Help File ? Ok, perhaps a lot of the PICED stuff was copied across from C-Touch application, but that's still not an excuse.

Toolkit is the CORE of the whole C-Bus application suite - the documentation issue urgently needs to be fixed IMO.

Cheers, John

PS: One good way would be to start an FAQ. There is a variety of web-based scripts out there (like this forum script) that can be used to record the questions and answers, and provide inbuilt search engine. Each time a question comes up, the CIS staff simply copy and paste both Q & A into an online webpage - no extra work is required. Using that method, the FAQ "creates itself" over time and doesn't add to an already over-worked development team.

JohnC, Dec 6, 2005
  4. DavidS

Duncan

We're certainly going to be careful.

Yes, this is obvious, and has been for some time, its getting done..

Duncan, Dec 6, 2005
Ask a Question