Replacing Dimmable Halogen Downlights with LED

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by astroguy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. astroguy

astroguy

I want to replace our dimmable halogen downlights with dimmable led lights. The Victorian Government Replacement Scheme doesn't cover dimmable halogen downlights, I am told. What cost effective replacements are there? We have about 100 downlights.

Thanks in advance,

astroguy, Jan 18, 2017
  2. astroguy

NickD Moderator

Which LEDs will work depends on the type of dimmer you have.

I had some Pierlite Starbursts which have all failed and have just replaced them with Haneco Viva90, which were pretty cheap and seem to work well with the Universal Dimmers, and I've been told also work well with the older leading edge dimmers, but as with all LEDs it will depend on how many you have per channel.

Nick

NickD, Jan 18, 2017
  3. astroguy

Ashley

Given that you now know you have an HPM iControl system and not Cbus you may be better off trying a different forum. Just because a LED works on Cbus dimmers doesn't mean it will work on HPM.

Ashley, Jan 19, 2017
  4. astroguy

astroguy

I would, but there aren't any for forums for iControl. Search engines do not show any. Maybe there are some members here who know iControl?

For what it's worth, here are photos of the dimmers...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
    astroguy, Jan 19, 2017
  5. astroguy

Matthew

Led not lasting?

Hi Nick
    That's interesting, How many starbursts failed over what period of time?
    Is it driver failure not diminished output due to life?
    And more concerning is the Haneco replacement.....which are known to be cheap

Matthew, Feb 9, 2017
  6. astroguy

DarylMc

Hello Mathew
    I installed 6 Pierlite Starburst Star 2 into my office in 2011.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7217&highlight=starburst
    They have worked flawlessly on leading and universal CBus dimmers until they don't.
    At least 8 hours a day every day.
    Most failed before 3 years and were replaced under warranty.
    There is 2 left running now.
    Every one which failed was the driver.
    The output of the old LED with a new driver was definitely diminished somewhat so I didn't keep the ones which failed outside of warranty.

Currently I have 2 Pierlite Starburst Eco which have been in my office for about 12 months.
    I've used them widely on customers houses but mostly not CBus or dimming.
    Some are coming up to 3 years old and I haven't had a failure yet.

I'm pretty happy with the Pierlite products and really like to use them because they supply specifications for CBus dimmers and have good dimming characteristics.
    They were not cheap and I'm looking forward to hearing other peoples experience with different brands.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2017
    DarylMc, Feb 9, 2017
  7. astroguy

NickD Moderator

I can't recall exactly when they went in... between 5 and 7 years ago. They failed in different ways... one failed much earlier than the others probably started a year or two ago with a flicker that would come and go every few days. The others then failed rather soon after that with sudden diminished output so I'm going to say all 3 were driver failures and not just the LEDs wearing out.

My Dad put some in around the same time and all his have done or are doing the same.

I was happy to pay for what I thought was quality at the time, thinking I would never need to replace them, so I was hesitant to spend much on replacements, particularly that now it seems to be a race to the bottom with price and so quality has to be affected.

As for the Haneco replacements... I would have used new new Clipsal but I didn't like the colour temperature (none of the 3 settings on the new changeable one matched the 3K of the Starbursts).

The Haneco ones were << $20 each and they turn on much faster and dim much better than what they replaced, so it seems hard to go wrong.

Are there known issues with them?

Nick

NickD, Feb 10, 2017
  8. astroguy

DarylMc

Hi Nick
    My original Starbursts failed mostly into a gradually increasing flickering state.
    Some just became very dim.
    Fortunately none of them failed in a way to burn my house down.

I did try the old LED's with the new drivers from the warranty units and it definitely was the driver.
    I'm relatively happy with their performance over the 5 year period.

When I spend a good deal of money on an energy saving product I'm just happy if it pays out in the end.
    I think the Pierlite LED's did that.
    It's not just the total cost but saving energy is something many people are trying to do.

I have some customers with newer Pierlites going very well after 3 years.
    Also some Atoms and Osrams but I wouldn't use them on CBus dimmers.
    When a reputable manufacturer like Osram says not to I listen.
    When companies say they are compatible but don't provide specs for lamps per channel I am very wary of using them.

I looked at the Viva product you linked and it is a very different light source to the Pierlite products I think you and I had.
    Maybe even a more practical one.
    I still like the idea of a bare 36w fluro batten as the ultimate in energy and cost savings :)

DarylMc, Feb 10, 2017
  9. astroguy

astroguy

LED Replacements

I have been testing some Osram MR16 LED Superstar (latest version). So far they work well, with little flashing or flickering. There may be some minor issues with flickering in the lower range.

astroguy, Apr 14, 2017
  10. astroguy

astroguy

To stop flickering, replace the transformers with Osram Redbacks. Also, do not mix transformers with different brands, otherwise the LED's will not work corrctly. My LED's all work fine.

astroguy, May 23, 2017
Ask a Question