Replacement Power Supply for Colour Touch 5080-CTC1, CTC2 and CTC3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trevor, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Trevor

Trevor

Hi All,
    I would like to know if their is any interest in the availability of replacement power supply units for the colour touch screens.
    If there is sufficient interest we will be in a position to provide these units for each of the 3 different unit types, fitted with the appropriate DC power connector.

We are already providing a repair service for these units and would like to also be in a position to provide the power supplies as well, but need to show our management that there is interest in them as we would need to purchase a minimum number due to the specific output requirements.

Best Regards and have a great day,
    Trevor Callaghan

Mobile : 0404 887 463
    Phone : +61 3 8736 0328
    Fax : +61 3 8736 0325
    Email : [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
    Trevor, Jul 23, 2019
  2. Trevor

MartynPigg

Used you recentlyTrevor to repair a Colour Touchscreen absolutely brilliant service couldn't recommend you higher
    Thanks Martyn

MartynPigg, Jul 24, 2019
  3. Trevor

Trevor

Just a quick update, we are currently testing a replacement power supply, that will be suitable for both the CTC1 and CTC2 units. If all goes well, we should have this available from mid to late August for sale.
    We are also looking at getting a replacement for the CTC3 version as well.

regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Jul 29, 2019
    alepore likes this.
  4. Trevor

Trevor

Due to certification requirements the current power supplies we were investigating turned out to not be suitable for the Australian market. I will endeavour to keep looking for a solution as I'm continuously made aware their is a requirement for replacement power supplies.

Regards
    Trevor Callaghan

Trevor, Aug 12, 2019
  5. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Again,
    just another update, I'm still looking for appropriate replacement power supplies for the touch screens.
    In the mean time, until I do have a solution we can provide directly from us, here are some possible solutions...

CTC1 and CTC2 - Jaycar has a Mean Well 70W 5V 14A Power Supply (MP3289). It is an open frame type and for this reason I am unable to offer it directly. It can be adjusted to provide the required output to drive the units, you will need to splice the DC cable from the AC/DC power pack or the DC/DC (small box)

CTC3 - a generic 24 Volt 10 Amp power supply (off the shelf) will work with these units

I'll keep looking for a better solution in the mean time.

Trevor, Aug 22, 2019
  6. Trevor

ashleigh Moderator

Just an FYI. The CTC1 used a 4-wire voltage sensing PS and the output voltage was a bit higher than normally expected to cater for an internal reverse-polarity protection diode (which actually makes a bit of heat). From ROUGH memory so don't trust or quote me, you need about 5.6 to 5.7 V at the input terminals of the CTC1.

The CTC2 used an external MOSFET based reverse polarity protection arrangement, which has lower losses. I'm fairly sure this still had a 4-wire voltage sensing PS.

The CTC3... no idea.

The 4-wire voltage sensing PS is used to ensure that the voltage at the input is what is needed, as the high currents see a voltage drop down the cable, and the cables could be VERY LONG. So just picking something and tweaking it to around 5.6 or so V output (under no load conditions) will not be right. It needs to have the right voltage at the CTC, under load, and with the cable length that is in the installation.

** Thats why the PS is/was non-trivial **

ashleigh, Aug 22, 2019
  7. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Ashleigh,
    Arbor Australia originally designed and built these units for Clipsal. The internal power regulation on all 3 types is based on a buck boost power supply arrangement, this in turn provides the power to drive the internal regulators throughout the unit, and there is a lot of them. The CTC1 power supply is only an output power device it has no feedback regulation, the 4 pins are a double up of positive and negative conductors. The CTC2 uses the small DC-DC regulator box between the AC-DC power pack and the unit, it gets feedback from the CTC2 and keeps the input voltage stable to the unit. It has a 7 pin connector going to the CTC2, 3 pins each for plus and minus and one for the feedback.

The CTC1 does use a reverse voltage protection diode and drops 0.7v across it when powered up.
    The CTC2 uses the DC-DC converter to do this and is more stable as it provides an output to the unit after the protection CCT.

You are also correct about the output voltage needing to be correct at the input to the CTC1 and CTC2, this is why Clipsal had the original power packs made to output 5.3 Volts for the CTC1 and 5.6 Volts for the CTC2.
    The CTC3 power supply is a standard 24 Volt DC output with no feedback, it only uses 2 pins.

The Mean Well power supply will drive these units as I have had several customers bring in their units and get me to adjust them here so they do work correctly. I have also done this over the phone for some end users to set theirs correctly as well.

I am only a technician, so am limited in knowledge of the reasons behind the design , but the original engineer who did do the design still works for Arbor, if anybody has any questions I can relay them to him and reply here.

Trevor, Aug 22, 2019
  8. Trevor

williver

Hey @Trevor (and all) . I have a new never used CTC2 touch screen with no power supply. have bought a Mean Well MDR-40-5 (40watt 5v) and connected it up via a 7pin Din plug. I used the pinout from here https://www.cbusforums.com/attachments/5080ct02-supply-small-jpg.2005/

When I connect the CTC2, all I get is a relay clicking sound around 2 times per second. I measure the voltage which is sitting steady at 5.6v. If I adjust this up or down a little it makes no difference to how the CTC2 responds. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I notice you recommended the 70W Mean Well supply. Is mine under-powered?

I have quite a long cable also so not sure if this is a factor.

williver, Oct 30, 2021
  9. Trevor

Trevor

The ticking is indicating there is not quite enough power getting in
    try tweaking it up to max, but don't go over 6v. let me know if it works,
    regards Trevor

Trevor, Oct 30, 2021
  10. Trevor

williver

Hey @Trevor . Did that. Cranked it up to 6v but it made no difference. Relay still clicking.

williver, Nov 1, 2021
  11. Trevor

Trevor

Hi,
    I'm surprised to here that, how are you connecting the power supply, is it direct into the unit?
    Were are you measuring the voltage? it needs to be 5.6v at the input of the unit. The cable could be dropping a lot over it. Can you shorten it? I have some spare dc-dc converters that plug into the unit, your ac/dc psu could drive that first, it will keep the voltage at 5.6 they are on sale for $150 Ex GST
    Give me a call if you like.

Regards
    Trevor Callaghan
    Arbor Australia

Trevor, Nov 1, 2021
  12. Trevor

williver

Hi @Trevor you were on the money there, thanks. I shortened the cable by a lot and now the unit powers up fine. I have noticed however that the welcome screen only stays on for 2-3 seconds before it goes blank. Should I assume this is normal as I haven't configured the unit yet or connected to c-bus?

williver, Nov 1, 2021
  13. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Will,
    Glad to here it, as i said on the phone, the welcome screen is like a bios slash screen and only shows for the amount of time then the system continues to reboot.

regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Nov 2, 2021
  14. Trevor

Glenn OCallaghan

Hi All,
    I've just had Trevor's email addres bounce on me, so hoping that this is just a temporary technical issue. But if not, can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement power supply for a C-Touch CTC1? It's the four pin type.
    Thanks,
    Glenn.

Glenn OCallaghan, Jan 29, 2023
  15. Trevor

Shiney2512

Shiney2512, Jan 29, 2023
  16. Trevor

Trevor

Hi Glen,
    That email should work...its current
    But you can get the psu from jaycar, its a 5v 14a adjustable meanwell about 50 bucks
    Make sure you tweek it up to 5.6v or it wont work

Trevor, Jan 29, 2023
Ask a Question