Repairs to Din relay Units

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by MattB, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MattB

MattB

HI All
    Has anyone had success having units repaired or done it themselves?
    I have several relay units (L5512RVF & L5508RVF) that are not functioning correctly. All still toggle loads on the units but network is intermittent at best, non operational at worst.
    Units will connect to Toolbox when no 240V is supplied but when powered will not talk. I can reprogram them fine when talking to toolbox.
    Have a couple of other relays that have no internal cbus psu and all work fine. All key inputs work ok when defective relays are disconnected. Have replaced the broken relays now and all is working OK.
    I believe that the issues were caused by lightning storm in the area. Was no direct hits on 240v as nothing else was damaged and have surge protection across 240v supply. There is several buildings connected by underground cat5 for the cbus network and I am thinking that it was induced voltage into this that has caused issues. I have since reconfigured and all buildings are separated by network bridges with only a 5500PS on the side of the network that is external to buildings. Have also put some surge protection over the cat5.
    So my question is are the defective units repairable? Issue seems to be in the connection from internal PSU to the Network. I have 5 units all the same so if something can be done at reasonable cost I would be keen to try. Was told Clipsal won't repair and just replace (which I have but if fixed these could be used elsewhere)
    Any experience shared would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Matt

MattB, Oct 27, 2019
  2. MattB

abg

Hi Matt. I only just noticed this post of yours. I have twelve relays most of which are 12 channel (some 8) that have the same problem. After lightning in the area but no direct hits they've stopped working. It has only been ones with internal power supplies. This has occurred on multiple occasions with 3-4 units each time. Interestingly for me it was only units external to the main house (in electrical boards around the property). Also it is the relay units that seem to be affected not the dimmers (in my case). I now only install units without power supplies and add separate 5500PS units. Just wondered if you had any luck getting yours working.

abg, Oct 24, 2020
  3. MattB

MattB

No I haven't fixed them. Still sitting in a cupboard.
    It seems to me that it is a connection between the internal PSU and the cbus bus in the unit that must have a fusable link or similar and the lighting spike is enough to blow this. I would think it is a fairly simple thing to fix potentially but no one wants to look at them. Might pull one apart some day and see what I can find.

MattB, Oct 24, 2020
  4. MattB

abg

I pulled one apart cause I've got a dozen I can 'play' with (unfortunately) and there is a fuse but it is not blown. I have a friend who designs and assembles circuit boards so he is going to take a look and see if there is anything obvious. If I find out anything I'll let you know.

abg, Oct 28, 2020
  5. MattB

JasonY00

Have a look here.

https://www.cbusforums.com/threads/...mer-no-c-bus-power-included.10376/#post-55902

Although the unit under discussion here did not have its own 200mA power supply and was possibly not caused by a lightning strike, a lot of work was done tracing out some of the internal PSU design which is probably generic to the units. Part of the repair included replacing a capacitor that was of unknown value that possibly shorted out the transformer (which may/may not be relevant here) and the transformer itself.

Most relevant, however, the circuit drawn may give you some good starting points to look at and save reinventing the wheel.

It had a happy ending...

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Oct 29, 2020
Ask a Question