Remote Toolkit access via Wiser

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Thomas, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas

Hi all,

I have raised this issue in two separate threads, but up to now, no-one has reported a working solution.
    Since at times the issue gets a bit side-tracked I thought it best to raise a new thread specific to this issue.
    I know, and use other methods to achieve the required results, but this is not the issue at hand, and in any case, a product should work as advertised, right?:)

My baseline is that in this country we do not have the privilege to receive CIS Tech support.

I have asked about this before, and the responses thus far either indicate that this service is hardly used, and by those who tried, the same results are achieved as I get.
    That is, a connection is established, but it is the absolute exception if a network scan gets completed at all. Usually, after 6 to 15% of the scan, the unit count gets updated to an incorrect number with many of the units failing to scan in, and the scan does not complete.

I would very much like a working and stable Toolkit connection via Wiser on a remote site. My question is:

1. Can this be accomplished?
    If so, how?

2. If it is not possible with Wiser V 1 or V 1.5, then will this be resolved on Wiser V2?

Thomas, Mar 1, 2014
  2. Thomas

chromus

it isnt a perfect solution, installing toolkit on that machine and remoting into that using RDP or VNC would give stable connectivity if the WAN connection is to slow.

I would also be insisting the client disables all high traffic software (bit torrent etc) to maximise your bandwidth.

I have remote connected using toolkit only on connections as low as 512/512 below that i imagine it would be as painful as you are experiencing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    chromus, Mar 2, 2014
  3. Thomas

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Thomas,

It might help to think of remote CNI connection via Wiser as analogous to a emergency tyre in a car boot. Yes its on the spec sheet and yes it's there for some situations but you wouldn't want to design a system around intending to use it on purpose. A low-budget DIY resi install might get by with it after tackling the various TCP/IP and concurrent use hurdles, but for a supported site or one in which you need reliable access you will find life much simpler if you can dedicate a separate interface for the PC software.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    daniel, Mar 2, 2014
  4. Thomas

gtrevitt

Hi Thomas

Can I suggest a sideline solution.

Install a cheap computer on site with Internet access and view it with team viewer (or equivalent). Then you can remote access it from a smart phone or ipad even.

You may even get it to work on a raspberry Pi which means it only costs $40 (and a CNI)

Thats how I would try (if I had time to fiddle with a raspberry Pi. I bought the first batch and still haven't powered it up yet!)

Cheers

gtrevitt, Mar 3, 2014
  5. Thomas

Thomas

Thank you for your replies.

Re Gtrevit and Chromus,

Yes, done and works much better, but not the issue.

Re Daniel,

It seems that I have been living in an illusion then, but that seems to be the crux.
    Perhaps it would be good to make this quite clear in future updates to the manuals? There is no way I can know that it is an emergency solution (which really it isn't, if it doesn't work).

If I wanted to have very regular access via toolkit I would not want to go that route, but for the odd change to a switch or whatever unit it would have been really handy.
    In my opinion it all boils down to dollars. If the product could do this, then you save quite a few of them for that odd change.
    But in reality you pay for a service which should work, but doesn't. That is why my opinion stands that for what Wiser can do, it is a tad expensive.

Thomas, Mar 4, 2014
  6. Thomas

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Thomas, thanks for the feedback. I have forwarded it to the Wiser team to take on board.

daniel, Mar 4, 2014
Ask a Question