Remote Re-Trigger of PIR's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruno V, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Bruno V

Bruno V

Hello!

Newby here.....

Is there an EASY way to remotely re-trigger the timer within a PIR without the PIR sensing movement to start the timer?

I am disabling a PIR (57540DPE), and forcing its controlled lighting group ON from 6am to 6pm.

From 6pm until 6am, I re-enable the PIR such that the timer (15min), comes into play when there is movement.

But what happens, is, the lighting group remains on indefinitely after re-enabling if the sensor doesn't detect movement.

I wish to start the PIR timer at 6pm so the lights turn off normally at the end of the timer, unless there is someone in the room to re-trigger the sensor and it turns off after time, normally.

I could just force the lighting group off but don't wish to in case there is someone in the room (public amenities area).

I could probably program some fancy LOGIC, but wondered if there was an easier/simpler way?

Thanks,

Bruno

Bruno V, Sep 13, 2017
  2. Bruno V

Ashley

You can't remotely trigger a timer inside a PIR, but you can trigger a timer on the same ga from some other device. If you are disabling the device via a schedule then you can get that schedule to also pulse the GA assigned to the PIR. Any movement will cancel that timer and start a new one in the PIR, and if no movement is detected the GA will be set OFF after the pulse time.

Ashley, Sep 13, 2017
  3. Bruno V

Bruno V

Thanks Ashley.

I did try the PULSE option, but it didn't seem to work, the PIR timer did not overide the PULSE timer, so the lighting group was forced off before the PIR timer.

I'll try again with longer timer periods for both PIR and PULSE, not short ones which assisted in quick testing.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Cheers!

Bruno

Bruno V, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Bruno V

Ashley

There can only ever be a single timer running on a given GA at one time, so if the pulse timer turned off the GA if meant that the PIR timer was never triggered.

The default functions for a PIR are start timer for movement in dark and re-trigger for movement in light. The re-trigger will only occur if a timer inside the PIR is already running. The idea is that generally when the GA turns on enough light is generated around the PIR to put it in day mode. By using re-trigger it will re-trigger at night even if it goes into day mode, but won't trigger during the day. The problem you are probably having is that when you pulse the ga external to the PIR it is probably going into day mode, and since it doesn't have it's own timer running the re-trigger does nothing when it senses movement. Given you a disabling the PIR during the day, you could just change the movement in light option to START so it will trigger for any movement.

When I am setting up PIR's I temporarily set the sunset function to control a nearby light that won't affect the PIR. That way you can tell what mode it is in.

Assuming you have a cbus interface, run the diagnostic utility and you can see exactly what is going on. The theory is fine though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
    Ashley, Sep 13, 2017
  5. Bruno V

Bruno V

Hi Ashley,

Following your excellent help, which I tried and it seemed to work but it was a bit too fancy pants for my limited understanding of the dark arts of Micro Key Functions, I re-tried the "Pulse" method.

A friend suggested extending the timer times and waiting longer (~more than 30 seconds), before activating the sensor manually, after it was re-enabled and pulsed on for a period of time.

Watching the log file in PICED, I could see that the PULSE timer was over ridden by the manually activated timer within the sensor, and in fact timed out exactly as it should, after the expiration of the virtual PULSE timer, or, without manual activation, timed out according to the PULSE time set, and the switched group turned off!

After lots of testing, I was satisfied that everything was going to work exactly as I wanted!

Thanks for you help!

Bruno

Bruno V, Sep 20, 2017
Ask a Question